The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  PSG. It's a machine
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 3:30 pm    

I would be very interested to know.
Richard were you trying to produce an emotion you felt with that move or was this an unintended consequence of random discovery that proved interesting?
If it was an interesting discovery what emotion did it produce.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 4:12 pm    

To me this is all just "playing with words", something that actually can be quite useful, and fun, at times.
Some Dictionary definitions...
Quote:
Machine: "A device consisting of fixed and moving parts that modifies mechanical energy and transmits it in a more useful form."
Quote:
Instruments, music: "any of various contrivances or mechanisms that can be played to produce musical tones or sounds."
Some pretty blurry borderlines here...

I have always thought of my musical instruments as a form for machines set up in certain ways for certain purposes. As the technocrat I am, thinking this way about most man-made objects, comes naturally ... even the houses I live in are a type of machines, mainly set up for the purpose of making living in them comfortable.

Doesn't really matter (to me) what a device is called, as long as it works as intended.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 4:25 pm    

Quote:
Bo, no offense, but I've seen enough of your posts now to know that you post hopelessly obvious stuff and then dare folks to disagree. Bill Hankey is in bad shape in a convalescent home but you are carrying on his tradition.

Bo, I'm beginning to agree with Tom. You have taken up the Hankey torch quite admirably..

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 8:58 pm    

b0b wrote:
If I close this, Bo and Stuart will take it as a cue to start another, even less intelligible topic. That's the pattern I've observed of late. Eventually they'll post total jibberish, and people will still imagine what they meant and argue about it. Oh Well

You're a man of wisdom and foresight, b0b. Smile And as others have, I've also noticed the similarities between Bo's post's and Mr. Hankey's.

Mitch

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 5:52 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
Bo, no offense, but I've seen enough of your posts now to know that you post hopelessly obvious stuff and then dare folks to disagree. Bill Hankey is in bad shape in a convalescent home but you are carrying on his tradition.

Bo, I'm beginning to agree with Tom. You have taken up the Hankey torch quite admirably..

Wait a minute--To compare the Leggs' writing to Bill Hankey's, is a slap in the face of Mr. Hankey. I think Bill liked to play with words. Big ol' obscure words--and he was a master. Polite, too--At least, I never heard him say anything about "trolls," and though the Legg's posts seem to be about nothing at all, the attitude seems to be, "Here's nothing--wanna fight about it?"

Barry--great quote, "b0b, you know what I'm talking about. A lot of texts and emails get misinterpreted because they can't literally evoke the meaning and emotion intended by the creator. It happens a lot right here on the Forum."

Indeed it do. Indeed it do.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 9:06 am    

Quote:
Wait a minute--To compare the Leggs' writing to Bill Hankey's, is a slap in the face of Mr. Hankey.

Quite right, Stephen, and my apologies go out to Bill wherever he is.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 9:47 am    

If you skip over the jokes and the personal attacks there is very little left.
But if you had actually read the little that was left you would have noticed that it was on topic and worthy of discussion.
I have 3 topics going 2 topics up this one about Steel Player-machine operator one about how a scientist might approach concepts in music starting with tritone substitutions complete with illustrations and one locked.
In the one locked I wrote this which it seems no one bothered to read then and more than likely will not now.

“Music theory is a metaphysical concept.
You can’t hold the concept and it just sits there motionless like the words on paper.
As a consequence music theory does not seem very important or useful.
Seems eerily similar to how we feel about theories regarding the universe.
"The word “theory” regarding music is misleading because it doesn’t accurately explain what a steel player should be learning. What I’ve noticed is that the good steel players have actually learned how to create harmony and melody through their steels, and in the process they ignored the idea of memorizing tons of patterns.
It seems that they have a tendency though to gloss over the most important aspects of music theory as in:
How else can you break down sounds without labeling the parts of music and turning them into concepts that we can then communicate to each other? That’s just one part of what theory does. Otherwise you’d be spending hours re-explaining every little musical and physical detail of the Steel in an effort to convey verbally what you are playing.”
Could be something there worthy of discussion.

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 10:41 am    

chris ivey wrote:
i bet you could train a monkey to play a steel.

nah....

http://gentnerlab.ucsd.edu/publications/bregman2011.pdf

http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=buy.optionToBuy&id=2001-01020-003

https://books.google.com/books?id=bmRSQtNsXn4C&pg=PA428&lpg=PA428&dq=relative+pitch+in+monkeys&source=bl&ots=JqGSyZcLsx&sig=H-04jCtiAwvAtTH5gECd6kFEO4s&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBmoVChMI_4rhorz-xgIVQpmACh1_xwPh#v=onepage&q=relative%20pitch%20in%20monkeys&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=BEadR2EuXYAC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=relative+pitch+in+monkeys&source=bl&ots=FD2McBwn8O&sig=k181iirapHap4tmHvPMj4hGiClE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBWoVChMI_4rhorz-xgIVQpmACh1_xwPh#v=onepage&q=relative%20pitch%20in%20monkeys&f=false

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 11:19 am    

I see you skipped right over what I wrote and decided to talk about monkeys!

I never suggested a monkey could play steel.
But if you think it would be of interest Start a new topic about it.
I honored Bill and gave him my support and respect while he was posting, I communicated with him continually in PMs and on Facebook,
Bill is the only reason I joined the Forum. Please don’t hold that against him.
I write somewhat like Bill because he was a great influence on me and Stuart and made me realize that I needed to better my vocabulary. As my vocabulary increased so did my understanding of Bills Topics,
I rib Bill some and he returned it. But we understood that it was all in fun because of mutual respect.
I am flattered that you would compare me to Bill.
I find it ironic that the same folks that treated him like crap on the Forum are now sending flowers and getting self righteous with me about him.

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 11:35 am    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:
chris ivey wrote:
i bet you could train a monkey to play a steel.

nah....

Bo Legg wrote:
I see you skipped right over what I wrote and decided to talk about monkeys!

I never suggested a monkey could play steel.

see the quote part? chris ivey.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 11:43 am    

bo, bill irritated me but you don't!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 11:45 am    

monkee playing steel!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 11:53 am    

Bill Hankey never posted anything like this...

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2382914&highlight=#2382914

And Chris never wrote any response like this, in a "Hankey post."

chris ivey wrote:
posts like this are always curious.
what is the point?
you're leaving but not really?
you need attention?
you're sad that you won't be participating anymore, unless you do?
c'mon leggs, what's wrong?
you can do whatever you want to do without a proclamation such as this.

Finally, Hankey's inventions--remember the "Lucky Seven?" The upright fretboard? They might have looked goofy, but they served a purpose. Finally-Every Hankey thread could run 4 or 5 pages-a lot of negative comments aimed at Bill--But I don't recall Bill ever assuming that everybody was out to "get" him. He'd reply in his own way-multi-syllabic run-ons, aimed at nobody. Bill Hankey liked words, and he liked to play with them. Others, who tried to walk the Hankey walk, failed.
Bo Leggs (what parent ever named a kid Bo Leggs?) you do Bill Hankey a great injustice, if only by mentioning his name. Or, to put it another way, you ain't a pimple on Bill Hankey's butt.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 12:14 pm    

i responded to many of bill's
threads in varying ways.
he was frustrating because he wouldn't
acknowledge people's responses
in a rational manner, for
whatever that's worth.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 1:30 pm    

I never compared myself to Bill only that I was influence by him.
I don’t believe b0b left this topic go on just so you could show your hatred,
I don’t believe everyone here is out to get me just the same few that reply with their hatred no matter the quality of my topic. I don't include Chris among those that reply with hatred. I believe Chris to be constant and picks at everyone with mutual respect.
I could never imagine Stuart nor I posting on here that a member here “wouldn’t make a pimple on some ones butt“. or make any similar demeaning personal comments about others
I’m pretty sure that most folks can see what’s really going on here.
I don't need anyone to come to my rescue, successfull people don't expect to be treated fairly.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 1:58 pm    

2,110 views and it hasn't been open that long, Stuart and I have always received a great number of looks on our topics. We get a lot of request to bring up an old topic so they can copy something from the topic.
Not too shabby for unintelligible gibberish.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 3:31 pm    

Throw that "hatred" card down there, bo. I don't know how to go about hating somebody, much less practice it.

2100 views? More people than that show up for airplane crashes.

Therefore, using your logic, a plane crash is more popular.

Don't seem right, does it?

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 6:41 pm    

[quote="Stephen Gambrell"
Bo Leggs (what parent ever named a kid Bo Leggs?) you do Bill Hankey a great injustice, if only by mentioning his name. Or, to put it another way, you ain't a pimple on Bill Hankey's butt.[/quote]
It looks like hatred to me if I'm wrong I apologize.
I'm only defending myself. I have no need nor desire to insult you.
I wish you the best and sincerely hope that one day you might change your opinion of Stuart and I
My birth certificates says Stuart B.(IO)Legg and I gave myself the middle name of Bo.
Stuart Kevin Legg Is my son. His name was supposed to be Kevin Stuart Legg but the hospital assumed he was a jr and therefor it appeared on the birth certificate with his first Name Stuart and no Jr.
So for this Forum I was allowed to use my self imposed nick name Bo and my son would go by Stuart so there would be no confusion with two Stuart Leggs on here.
I like Bo Legg as a name. My Grandfather gave me my middle name and I'm sure my parents didn't like it so they just left it as an initial and all these years I was afraid to ask what it was supposed to be. Laughing

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 8:05 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
monkee playing steel!

hey, nice one! is that a D10 stringmaster?!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 10:53 pm    

Fender 2000. Perhaps belonging to Red Rhodes?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 1:30 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:

High praise, Bo.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 2:38 am    

b0b wrote:
If I close this, Bo and Stuart will take it as a cue to start another, even less intelligible topic. That's the pattern I've observed of late. Eventually they'll post total jibberish, and people will still imagine what they meant and argue about it. Oh Well

I think I'll just let this one run its course. At least one member finds it entertaining.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

But it's not me!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 6:24 am    

Watch what happens when I close it.