The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  PSG. It's a machine
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 2:46 pm    

I posted some songs in Steel on the web. This is "Old Country". I think this song is filled with emotional playing (including my screw-up in my solo). It's a package deal, guitar, hands, feet, knees, emotion in the brain that transfers to my hands.

Old Country

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 2:47 pm    

Quote:
If you don't find this topic interesting I then have failed,

I find the topic interesting, but also moot, for example, a typewriter is a machine. It is not played but operated. You can vary the speed of the typing, but that's about it. I don't think any of the intangible things that define performing on a musical instrument apply here. Flame away.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 2:48 pm    

Bo Legg wrote:

I like the direction it has taken.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 3:08 pm    

Bo Legg wrote:

I don't understand all this BS about your music comes from your emotion and runs out your fingers thru the steel and out to the amp.

that would make sense coming from the non-player, stu.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 5:42 pm    

Stuart is very good at hearing and sensing feeling within a song.
Here is an example of his take on this song
Stuart
"The fiddle fill in this song moved me except for the end of his fill when it sounded as if he was forced into a cliche that just killed the mood.
It went from that point into some forced chord progression fill by the band including the PSG that was interesting but almost completely void of feeling"
I had totally missed that in this song until he pointed it out. I had to play it a few times before I could really feel it.
Stuart can find feeling somewhere in most tunes but it seems with country music it is hard to find.
I'm sure if Stuart could play the steel he would play with a lot of emotion.

I you don't know it when you first hear it then you don't know it.
click here

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 7:03 pm    

Seems obvious I have in someway offended a lot of folks here. I regret that!
chris I said what I meant to say and that's all you saw.
It's a little unfair to speculate on what you thought I might have changed. You seem interested so I will tell you.
I wanted to add some info to my reply and while I was editing some one posted a reply and that made my reply at that point seem out of place so I copied it and posted it later and I made 3 mistakes while trying to get that done. 4 edits in all.
Would you say Buddy is a great PSG player? Yes it's been said to infinity in times. Seems to be the only description I hear about all the greats.
Seems to imply they are great machine operators and ignores all their other music abilities that are the main reason for their great musical creations of which I'm sure they would have had the same success with a harmonica or a ukelele.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 7:25 pm    

Richard I have no idea about what your intentions with what I got when I click on your OLD Country but they could not be good.
Pretty sure this is going to get locked so let me leave with one of Stuart's quotes that pretty well sums this up.

"Folks don't want to be subjected to something that might get them to look at something with an open mind and in a different light.
They only want you to post topics that confirm their point of view. Do that and they will love you.
I am a good example of how it goes if you don't."

Last edited by Bo Legg on 26 Jul 2015 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 7:27 pm    

no i wasn't speculating cause i didn't care that much. this has just become an interesting and entertaining thread if, as someone else implied, it's not really bo posting. it doesn't sound like bo, but not necessarily like stu either. and i've never met your dog so i can't say it's him.
the original premise is not presented well enough for me to think of steel as just a machine, which of course it is. but i've developed an attachment to mine that goes deeper than just that, and the whole operation is an emotional display, even if you're bad. some emotion is better than others.
dave m. says a monkey can't play steel cause dave knows that kind of stuff. i think a monkey could play steel but you may not appreciate his music.
anyhoo, i'll be watching to see where we go from here. Very Happy Surprised Smile Cool

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 7:40 pm    

Chris it was quotes from Stuart and me talking out my As to be sure I kept it at a level where folks here could understand. Laughing

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 7:54 pm    

i still love you.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 9:03 pm    

Bo Legg wrote:

What Bo said.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Before his edits.

Bo Legg wrote:
Chris it was quotes from Stuart and me talking out my As to be sure I kept it at a level where folks here could understand. Laughing

What Bo SHOULD have edited. Some people...

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 9:34 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
I find the topic interesting, but also moot, for example, a typewriter is a machine. It is not played but operated. You can vary the speed of the typing, but that's about it. I don't think any of the intangible things that define performing on a musical instrument apply here. Flame away.

No flaming ... but ... if a PSG is a machine - which I personally think of it as - then, just like a typewriter, it is used to express what's on the operator's mind. So, what's really the difference (other than that a PSG may sound better) ? Very Happy

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 11:01 pm    

If I close this, Bo and Stuart will take it as a cue to start another, even less intelligible topic. That's the pattern I've observed of late. Eventually they'll post total jibberish, and people will still imagine what they meant and argue about it. Oh Well

I think I'll just let this one run its course. At least one member finds it entertaining.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 4:17 am    

-LLL- You got that right B0b...

Geoff Noble

Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 6:49 am    

I suppose you could argue that the human body is merely a machine and any emotions we feel or consciousness itself are part of the function of that machinery.

So we have a machine controlling another machine, isn't it brilliant that the result is music with soul Cool

My question is that if you have an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of pedal steels and an infinite amount of time, would they eventually play the whole works of Buddy Emmons Wink

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 7:36 am    

Geoff Noble wrote:

My question is that if you have an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of pedal steels and an infinite amount of time, would they eventually play the whole works of Buddy Emmons Wink

they already have!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 9:34 am    

Quote:
No flaming ... but ... if a PSG is a machine - which I personally think of it as - then, just like a typewriter, it is used to express what's on the operator's mind. So, what's really the difference (other than that a PSG may sound better) ?

Kind of like the difference between texting each other or talking to each other. I don't think mere texting can convey the intangible qualities of conversation. Oh Well

Geoff Noble

Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 9:57 am    

chris ivey wrote:
Geoff Noble wrote:

they already have!

Laughing Laughing

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 10:06 am    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Quote:
No flaming ... but ... if a PSG is a machine - which I personally think of it as - then, just like a typewriter, it is used to express what's on the operator's mind. So, what's really the difference (other than that a PSG may sound better) ?

Kind of like the difference between texting each other or talking to each other. I don't think mere texting can convey the intangible qualities of conversation. Oh Well

Good writing is an art. Fiction, poetry, song lyrics, history, even technical documents. What's the difference if the writer uses a pencil, a typewriter, a computer or even a smartphone? Good writing transcends the instrument used to create it.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 10:19 am    

I think one problem is that I don’t understand the word Forum.
The word Forum is historically Roman.
It has been called the most celebrated meeting place in the world, and in all history.
A place where ideas were debated.
I would hope you see this comparison as a compliment to the Steel Guitar Forum.
So perhaps education is our undoing here in that related to the forum we were taught when presenting a idea, present it in a way that others will think it was their idea.
Start with a provocative topic related to the idea to get their attention and progress to hopefully that conclusion.
The topic never gets to that conclusion because it turns personal and ugly.
I’m not saying that education is at fault or that I think we are smarter than you, the problem is that Stuart and I have stuck doggedly with what we learned.
So we I are insane, we keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
I can’t blame education, the problem is obviously that Stuart and I are just not very good at it.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 11:12 am    

Here is an observation that I think is important.
You have a topic going and then someone accuses you of being a troll and of course true or not every reply that follows will have to jump on that band wagon or appear to be stupid for not realizing they are being trolled.
Several folks have learned how affective that tactic is and play the "troll card" on Stuart and I almost every time knowing that it is going to get ugly from that point on.
It seems that this tactic is overlooked as the fault of a topic turning ugly.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 11:38 am    

Bo, no offense, but I've seen enough of your posts now to know that you post hopelessly obvious stuff and then dare folks to disagree. Bill Hankey is in bad shape in a convalescent home but you are carrying on his tradition. Have fun and all but please don't take it so seriously.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 11:44 am    

Quote:
Good writing is an art. Fiction, poetry, song lyrics, history, even technical documents. What's the difference if the writer uses a pencil, a typewriter, a computer or even a smartphone? Good writing transcends the instrument used to create it.

b0b, you know what I'm talking about. A lot of texts and emails get misinterpreted because they can't literally evoke the meaning and emotion intended by the creator. It happens a lot right here on the Forum.

Bo Legg

Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 12:06 pm    

When things go bad here on the Forum I just buy another steel guitar. So I just bought a 12 string (This makes 9 or 10 I lost count. The last time this happened I bought a Dekley)
I'll post pictures when I get it home.
Whoa is me, feel sorry for me, whoa is me, they hate me here..whoa is me I'm just a machine operator Laughing

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 1:05 pm    

My 2 cents:

When I play my steel, it's just me and the strings.

It doesn't matter to me what is mechanically changing the pitch of the strings, I'm still playing those strings when I press a pedal, or move a knee lever (even if I'm not picking), much like a guitar player with a B bender, it's all part of playing