The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Visiting Austin, TX area weekend of 7/31
Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2015 3:47 pm    

I'll be visiting my daughter at Texas State in San Marcos next weekend, 7/31. I'd love to hear some good TX pedal steel guitar while I'm in the area. Any suggestions for Friday night 7/31 or Sat or Sun? Either Austin or San Marcos or anywhere in the area really.
Thanks,
Steve

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2015 10:55 am    

So, where's all the Austin players... y'know, the guys with all the work that everybody wants to come down here for... Wink, chiming in with where the action is? Laughing

Personally, I'll be taking off from my gig as "Shag" in the Hank Williams: Lost Highway production at the Palace Theatre in Georgetown TX, to play once again with Alvin Crow and the Pleasant Valley Boys at Cain's Ballroom in beautiful downtown Tulsa OK.

We used to rock out there back in the 1970's. Some of y'all might remember the 1970's, it was a big part of the last century. Smile

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2015 12:36 pm    

I'll be with Houston Marchman at Poodie's Hilltop on HW 71 in Spicewood on Aug. 1, just west of Austin. It's not really a hardcore country gig, more Americana I guess, but Houston loves steel guitar so there's plenty. I'd recommend a listen to some of the songs on his website before you make the trip. Smile. We don't play around Austin much, as Herb alludes, there just aren't many gigs that pay very much.

There are two shows usually, early which is 8:00-ish, and late which is 10:30ish.. I think we're in the early slot, but the Poodies calendar seems to be conspicuously absent of info about Aug. 1..

http://www.houstonmarchman.com
http://www.poodies.net/

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 7:38 am    

How about the Broken Spoke, Ginnys Little Pour House or the Continental Club?

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2015 5:41 am     Pickers in Austin

I will be with Glen Collins ( local singer / songwriter) and the Alibis, Friday @ Leon Springs Dance Hall in San Antonio, Saturday is private, Sunday @ Elgin SPJST. Nice large hall, just east of Austin. This traditional COUNTRY Music like you would hear on the Opry in the good 'ol days. Steel Guitar / Fiddle. Like Herb said you basically have to get out of town to make much money. Oh Well Come to see us if you can.

Ted Smouse

Austin, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 6:13 am    

Steve,

I just took a quick look at some of the venue calendars from around town in Austin. The Spoke doesn't have Sat. Aug. 1st posted yet, ....not seeing Ginny's for Sat. night either .....so, from my brief look at what I found, nothing shouted "heavy Steel Guitar here!"

I'm not sure about this, but the Cornell Hurd Band "may" be playing Ginny's Little Longhorn on Fri. July 31st, 9 pm. If this is accurate, their regular steel guitarist Scott Walls "may" be with them. Small stage area at that club, so I don't know if Cornell is using Scott on those gigs. Alex Dormont's Hot Texas Swing Band is playing at one of the Central Market grocery store locations, (don't know if it's Fri or Sat, but there is a website) ...but once again, ...not sure if he's carrying steel on the gig.

There are some good shows around town, The Tailgators on Fri. night (Don Leady) at the ABGB (Austin Beer Garden & Brewery) and Redd Volaert on Sat. afternoon at Cont. Club ...but no prominent steel. On Sunday night at El Mercado South (S. 1st Street), guitarist Jim Stringer hosts his "Jim's Country Jam" ...which most likely will have excellent steel guitarist James Shelton on stage with him. They get underway around 6:30 pm. Local musicians and singers get up and sing and play with the stage band.

-maybe some Austin steelers with gigs will see your post and chime in before the weekend if they have something going on.

Keep steelin'

Ted Smouse
Austin, Texas
SteelRadio.org@gmail.com
https://www.steelradio.org

-a 501(c)(3) “Not For Profit” Organization

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 1:00 pm    

Thanks a lot for all the options. I'm in OKC now and will be in TX Friday.
Thanks again,
Steve

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2015 1:10 pm    

Thanks a lot for all the options. I'm in OKC now and will be in TX Friday.
Thanks again,
Steve