The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  While preparing to, & recording steel I...
Mark Wayne

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2015 10:11 pm    

Just some tips that I've gathered over the years for having a successful session before and while recording steel guitar, both home studio and professional sessions. Please post your suggestions.

- placing the amp in a different room so pedal noise doesn't bleed into the mic (although Curly Chalker's pedals did bleed through at times, and it sounded kind of neat).

- if recording at home, have the steel close to the recording console so you can reach over for easier punch-ins, or working with the mouse.

- did you have some great tones better than before? TAKE NOTES AND DOCUMENT on how you achieved your great takes! Did you have a different mic placement? Were you in a good mood? Was it a dry or humid day? Did you eat or not eat dinner yet?

- Have you done about 200 takes and still can't get it right? Go out for a walk or a drive and come back and start over.

- Recording with software? SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!!! It sounds crazy, but I save after every punch-in' and of course at the end of the session. Computers are not respecters of persons.

- Have you turned off your heaters / air conditioners with blower fans? Cell phones off? Closed the doors and windows to keep passing car noise from entering...before you record?

- Did you record a phrase and go back and listen to it about 15 times? Chances are that you played a pretty good take and it might've even been within the first couple takes you attempted. Now leave it alone and move on.... Smile