The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  line6 xt vs hd300 for direct in
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2015 9:25 pm    

I'm trying to settle on one of these for direct in recording for best sound options when unable to mic an amp. Anyone have experience with the hd series, better sound than the XT?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 2:19 am    

I had a POD HD and returned it. Didn't like the sound or the effects. I've got an XT and X3 and use the X3 live, and direct sometimes.

The XT and X3 can use the same "tones" (what line 6 calls programs). I like the X3 better as it has a couple extra options.

Live I only use my POD's for effects only, no amp sims. I have one preamp program I use when I record direct with it.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 1:19 pm    

I don't know anything about the xt series, but the HD series have a USB interface with an ASIO driver so you can connect directly to your DAW, all digital from the input onward. I used an HD desktop with a Black Box in front for practice and for long-distance recording when I was living in an apartment and couldn't play loud enough to mic an amp, I got decent results. It's stereo so you can split the signal path and record one channel with POD effects, one dry. I think the HD300 may have a more limited selection of amp models and effects than the HD500, Pro or desktop, but not sure.