The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '' Emmons Steel Company ''
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2015 8:35 pm    

I have heard rumors that the Emmons steel guitar company is out of business . Does anyone know for sure ? I would hate to see that happen . The Emmons steels are great guitars . I really like my LeGrande 111 . I only hope the rumor i heard isn't true .

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2015 10:15 pm    

DG Whitley wrote:
...according to what I've found at the NC Secretary of States website, it was dissolved as of January 7, 2015. I'll post more later.

Added:

As I understand it, Emmons had not filed a required annual report since 2012. The Secretary of State sent them a "Notice of Grounds for Administrative Dissolution" on September 22, 2014. Apparently, the Secretary did not receive any response, so on January 7, 2015, the "Emmons Guitar Company by Lashley,Inc." was administratively dissolved as a corporation in the State of North Carolina.

So I guess the question of "Are they out of business?", would be "Yes". I'll continue to check the site from time to time but that's my take.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=286821

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2015 4:23 am    

It's conceivable that they're operating without being a corporation.
We hear that people who order through dealers are still getting guitars.

Rick Hearne

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2015 8:36 am    

I've been ordering parts from them from their website
http://www.emmonsguitar.net/sitemap.htm
The phone number has changed to 336-437-2785

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2015 9:22 am    

right on , man! has ron jr. refunded the customers he didn't deliver to? or is everything cool now?

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 14 Jul 2015 11:27 am    

It would be terrible if Emmons ceased to exist. The price of the guitars would skyrocket…

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2015 12:32 pm     Prices would skyrocket ?

If the company is no longer in business, I don't think it would have any dramatic effect on the prices of used Emmons.

Did Carter prices skyrocket when the Fabians stopped production ?

From a supply / demand perspective, the market isn't growing, used Emmons are still available, and the market has a lot to offer from other builders, whose long term stability is not in question.

It is interesting that we are asking the question of " are they still in business? " , and we see no reply from those who could answer that question . I suppose you could say the builder doesn't frequent the forum, etc... Maybe one of the dealer reps could speak up?

Rick Hearne

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2015 12:43 pm    

I've ordered parts within the last 6 months, they came quickly and Ron Jr was very helpful with tips. I have a D10 pp and a D10 Legrande II and got parts for both.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2015 3:28 pm    

Parts have NEVER been a problem. It was the delivery of paid for guitars.

And Gary made a very BOLD statement.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2015 9:05 am     Emmons

I'd still order/buy one.

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2015 12:37 pm    

how much do they cost now?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2015 10:18 pm     Re: Emmons

Wayne Baker wrote:
I'd still order/buy one.

At this point, I recommend against it.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2015 6:46 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
It's conceivable that they're operating without being a corporation.
We hear that people who order through dealers are still getting guitars.

Yes, they could still be operating as a "company" with a sales and use tax license under the Department of Revenue.

b0b wrote:
Wayne Baker wrote:
I'd still order/buy one.

At this point, I recommend against it.

...as would I, unless you're getting it from a dealer. As many instances of people having problems, I continue to shake my head at those that ignore the history of this company (including the court case: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=268305) and place orders directly with Emmons. But again, it's your money, and if you want to gamble with it, go for it. Just don't post whining when it goes south.

Here is a reminder of that case if you care to read:
Shawn Sprouse wrote:
Well a lot has happened since I posted last, so here is the latest. On August 28 2014 Emmons Guitar Company was served and was scheduled to appear in small claims court on September 17th at 9:40 am. I received a letter from Emmons on Sept.8th acknowledging the court date and stating that my guitar was near completion. In short I fired back my letter of response which they received on Sept. 12th. It basically stated they either had to show up with the money or the guitar or I would go ahead with the case. I drove to Graham,NC on the 16th and was at the courthouse by 8:30 on the 17th fully prepared for a battle. The judge asked why we were there today and I had a list of 12 bullet points to cover, so i preceded down the list. When I got through with my list, the judge looked at Mr. Lashley and said, Mr Lashley do you agree with his timeline? Then came the words I never thought I would hear. Ron said yes sir I do! Then the judge asked him, Do you realize that you gave this man several completion dates? Ron said, yes sir I do! Ron agreed in court that everything I said was true. Ron also said he had the guitar in the truck and that he had been working on it the night before and that he was late getting to court because he was working on it that morning too. Anyway the judge asked if I would take the guitar if it was to my specs. Which I replied I would but I had to check it out first. They granted us a continuance til noon so Ron and I could go back to the shop and check it out. The guitar played pretty good, but needed a knee lever reworked and there was another thing I don't think he thought I noticed. It was the mica was ragged on the bottom edge. It will need to be sanded. As the old saying goes a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I weighed my options and figured I better take it and run. If not I would have to chase him for the money and the expense would be more than it would be worth. I'm now through with Emmons and want nothing else to do with them. Dave Robbins is going to check this guitar out for me and I know it will be fine once he goes through it. It is a shame that it took going to court to get something done. Now my case is documented and all I can say is buyer beware! There is another gentleman in Texas that I have been in contact with, that is having the same issue. Money paid and no guitar. He ordered his about 6 months after I did. He is being told story after story as well and from the sounds of it his guitar hasn't been started either. They are giving him a line they gave me about waiting on castings. Anyway this whole nightmare is finally over! Never again will I deal with this company. For the ones that supported me through this ordeal....THANK YOU!

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Wayne Baker

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2015 11:35 am     Emmons

b0b, good advice as always... dg, I'll let you know first if I decide to gamble my money on an Emmons...

Wayne Baker
Show Pro D10 (#217) w9&7, Emmons D10 (#6613) w8&5, Nashville 1000, Nashville 400, Beard E model reso, Dobro and a Martin D41...

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2015 7:43 am     bOb

Another reason I believe bOb should be in the Hall of Fame...he knows of what he speaks and he is always right on target. bOb has helped more PSG player's than anyone I know of. Take heed my fellow Emmons' purchasers.

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2015 9:03 am    

One more reason I am getting a Rittenberry

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 9:28 am    

Any news or updates?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 9:46 am    

Tom Quinn wrote:
It would be terrible if Emmons ceased to exist. The price of the guitars would skyrocket…

Now that's funny! Laughing

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 11:47 am    

What's funny about it? Whoa!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 12:27 pm     Re: Emmons

Wayne Baker wrote:
I'd still order/buy one.

I'd order one, but only if the money was held in an escrow account until satisfactory delivery of product.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 1:09 pm     Emmons

I drove by the old location on Webb Avenue in Burlington and it is a HVAC company now.

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 6:28 pm    

Well, heck. Guess I'm glad I've got a couple of them already. Very Happy

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 9:25 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
What's funny about it? Whoa!

That someone would believe that prices would skyrocket, given the amount of them out there, and the limited appeal of the pedal steel in the first place. We're not exactly talking Bigsbys or even Franklins, here, Erv.

Rolling Eyes

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 5:12 am    

+1 for what Donny said.

I stated on this thread in July of 2015, I didn't think the prices of available Emmons would be affected. Not bashing , I've owned Emmons and appreciate the history.

The status of the company isn't as much a factor as supply and demand.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 5:34 am    

Pretty sure Tom was being facetious when he said prices would skyrocket. Made me laugh, anyway.