The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What would you buy with $4k?
Chad Greene

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 9:12 am    

I'm about to delve into the world of pedal steel. I already own a set of finger picks from playing banjo for many years. Now all I need is a guitar, an amp, a volume pedal, a bar, and any other incidentals I'm not yet aware of. With a total budget of $4000 USD, what would you buy?

I realize this is not enough to get a dream rig, so I need help figuring out how to allocate my budget. Should I spend more on the guitar or the amp? Any favorite reasonably-priced models I should be aware of?

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 10:12 am    

You could probably find a nice Carter, an S-10, D-10 or S-12 for a reasonable price. There were many of them built, they play and sound good, most are not old enough to have been played to death. That's what I would look for. You can probably find a very nice one for less that 2000. Maybe a bit more for a D-10. It can always be sold later, if you want to try something else. But that's not something you should worry about, not until you have played for a few years. Good luck.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 10:35 am    

you can get a great used setup, steel, amp, etc. for that kind of dough.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 11:09 am    

Early '70s Emmons D-10 and a clean '70s Session 400. You'll be in good company.

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 11:34 am    

Get in touch with Bobby Reed in Hendersonville TN. He has a number of professional pedal steel guitars that are lightly used and very affordable. He has many listed in your price range on his website BobbyReed.net Call him at 615 419-9642

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 11:39 am    

In the used market you could get nearly anything your heart desires for 4k .. Find an opportunity to play different ones and find the guitar that works for you.... there are a lot of factors to consider and each guitar has pros and cons.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 11:46 am    

Splits are awful handy, I don't think I'd stump for a push-pull for a first guitar (I'd love to have mine back, though).
If you don't mind used, a quality Peavey steel amp (anything with Session or Nashville in the name) can be yours for around $400 after shipping. A seat should be yours for between $2-300, volume pedal with pot from 1-200, picks, bar and two cables another $100.
That's just under a grand. You can buy a LOT of guitar for the 3 grand left over. Do you want to start with a double neck or a single neck?
Double neck: get this, 800 under budget and a fine guitar http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=284797

Want a single neck? Fulawka are amazing guitars http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=286439

Pretty sure you can have a dang fine Justice new for that in a double neck.
And just about any single neck new.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 11:55 am    

An Emmons push-pull will only increase in value. Most used guitars in private sales can come with a volume pedal. Zums and Mullens have a strong following, don't know what the used prices are on a D-10 from them.

You said you had four large to spend. If you want to conserve your funds, get a Sho-Bud Professional instead of the Emmons. You can pick those up for cheap and they are very cool guitars plus it's a breeze to change the copedents. You are talking a complete rig for under $3000.

There's a reason some guitars besides Emmons and Buds are cheap: no one wants them. Doesn't matter how "great" they are. After you've played for a couple years, then you can look around the off brands and look for a deal.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 2:15 pm    

Tom Quinn wrote:
Early '70s Emmons D-10 and a clean '70s Session 400. You'll be in good company.

A push-pull for a 1st guitar?

Advantage: They are the ultimate in tone; sound-wise nothing even comes close. You will never need (or prolly want) another guitar

Disadvantage: If you aren't familiar with working on one, I wouldn't even consider it...just LOOKING at the undercarriage could give you seizures! Just tuning the stops can have you treating the neighbors to a whole new world of colorful language! The workings of a PP are NOT for the faint of heart.

A push-pull is like an old Harley--A mechanical nightmare, but nothing sounds better.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 2:32 pm    

There are some professional grade guitars available that are designed for beginners, and have all the essentials, and only skimp on the Bells and Whistles. Three that come to mind offhand are the Justice S-10, the Mullen Discovery, and the Zum Stage one and Encore.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 2:39 pm    

A well set up push pull needs nothing and probably has to be tuned once every neap tide. They are rugged as anything. Guy has four large he doesn't need a starter guitar that is a pain in the butt to resell.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 3:19 pm    

my first real steel guitar was a p/p single ten. when i looked at the bottom i said, 'this is what a steel is supposed to be'. it made perfect logical mechanical sense to me. that was over 40 years ago.
so what mr. upright said is kind of out of line.
maybe it's scary to him, but it doesn't make sense to even consider playing pedalsteel in the first place if mechanical things are out of your comfort zone.

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 3:49 pm    

Jody Cameron is selling his Carter and a Shobud. I can give you his number if you want it.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 4:24 pm    

There are a lot of options in your price range right here on the SGF "for sale" forum. I would probably go for the Fulakwa Single 10 as it's priced reasonably & is a very high-quality guitar. I agree with Chris Ivey that an Emmons push pull is stable guitar that holds its tuning well. If one follows the basic rules (see Clem Shmitt " Methodology " or Wilderness Guide), keeping one in running order is no big deal. (That's not to say rebuilding one Is not a chore). I'd recommend a used quality guitar rather than a new student model for its better investment value.

Chad Greene

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 8:49 am    

This is some great advice so far. It's sounding like I should spend a bit more on the guitar than the amp.

I'd like to stay away from anything designed to be a beginner guitar. I made that mistake with mandolin--I bought a cheap beginner mandolin, but the tone is lousy and it's physically taxing to play. It's mostly stayed on the wall hook for the past few years. When a friend left a very nice mandolin at my house I could barely put it down for a week. I'd hate to get a guitar that leaves something to be desired in terms of tone or playability.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 9:02 am    

Tone comes at least a bit more from amp than guitar.
BUT there are very good amps at under a grand.
Things like the economy pro guitars (Mullen Discovery, Justice Pro-Lite, Encore, Simmons Genesis, Stage One) are actually quite good guitars.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 9:53 am     Re: What would you buy with $4k?

Chad Greene wrote:
With a total budget of $4000 USD, what would you buy?

I realize this is not enough to get a dream rig...

Don't be so sure. You can get a really nice new pedal steel for under $3k, leaving plenty for a good amp and accessories.

Chad Greene

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 10:08 am     Re: What would you buy with $4k?

b0b wrote:

Don't be so sure. You can get a really nice new pedal steel for under $3k, leaving plenty for a good amp and accessories.

That's great to hear. I half expected the forumites to insist that I should spend more. If I can get away with spending under $4k for the whole rig that'd be great.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 10:11 am    

Here are a few fine pro models under $3k, as advertised on their web sites.
  • Mullen Royal Precision SD-10. $2911.
  • Desert Rose S-10. $2695.
  • GFI Expo SD-10. $2750.
  • Justice S10-Pro. $2295.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 10:17 am    

Performance. Great guitars! Of course I'm prejudiced! I put them together.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 10:23 am    

This guitar.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=285924

Nashville 400 amp.

Goodrich 120 volume pedal.

Digitech Hardwire RV7 and DL8.

BadaBOOM !!!

You are in business. FOR LIFE....

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 10:39 am    

A good start would be a Show Pro guitar, pac-a-seat, BJS bar, Goodrich volume pedal, and something like a used peavey LTD

http://www.showprosteelguitars.com/images/0150_12_.jpg

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2015 11:06 am    

You can get a Zum Encore for around $1,500, and a Peavey or Roland Cube for a few hundred more. Add a good volume pedal, and you've got a good rig that will last you for years for only a little more than $2,000.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2015 12:18 am    

What would I buy with 4K ?

Another Sho Bud for under $2k !

And have 2K left over Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2015 5:05 am    

For 3-4K you can get a really good brand new steel guitar that is custom built by any number of current builders. Pros are that its to your specs and your size (an important factor in its playability) and that you won't ever have to buy another steel (you probably will though). You get exactly what you want and it will fit you perfectly! Cons are you have to wait while its being built.

On the other hand, if you can personally try out used guitars you'll likely spend half as much, and could even buy two. Pro is you buy immediately (if the shoe fits wear it). Con is you have to do some legwork to go try them out first. Other option is used guitars here on the forum. Pros are a high reliability factor when buying unseen and supporting the forum as well. Cons are the standard buyer beware caveat emptor.

Ive never been to a convention yet, but its been mentioned many times to prospective buyers here that attending one is a good way to try (and possibly buy) new steels, as well as just help to decide exactly what it is you're looking for.