The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A PSA about leaving your gear in the car
W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2015 11:46 pm    

I've had a lot of things stolen from me. Sometimes it's been my fault, sometime's it's seemed like cruel fate.
At one point I assured myself I had learned my lesson, and I became judicious about protecting my gear. As time goes by, you let your guard down, as I did tonight.
We had just gotten home to Houston from playing the Telluride bluegrass festival - quite a drive. I loaded my gear into the car, and quickly threw the contents of my suitcase over everything as I searched for a suitable "going out" shirt. I looked at the mess I had made and thought, "now my car looks like a wreck that some homeless person is living out of, surely no one will mess with the gear buried beneath this junk." WRONG.
I parked my car at a bar with a lot of foot traffic for a few hours. I came back to my vehicle to find a smashed window and my suitcase and pac-a-seat gone. That seat held many $$ worth of necessary gear, including a lot of pieces that held great sentimental value.
The sentimental loss I can deal with, but now I have to deal with the reality of replacing all that gear.
Bottom line, I'm screwed. And the whole thing is my fault. I should have known better, in fact I -did- know better. So DO NOT EVER leave ANY gear in the car ANYWHERE, including your home. Just don't do it. Don't get lazy, don't think a particular situation seems safe, DONT leave anything in the car. And when a decade goes by where your stuff hasn't been jacked, stay judicious and particular about your gear. I will never leave a single piece of gear in a car again.

Edited to be more of a PSA and less of a sad story

Last edited by W. Van Horn on 23 Jun 2015 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 12:11 am    

NO, it's NOT your fault, Will! It's the fault of the low life scum, that took your stuff! I have no tolerance for thieves! A person should be able to leave their property anywhere, without someone helping themselves to it! -Jake-

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 7:01 am    

Sorry to hear of that. Hopefully they will catch the bastages who took your things but it's a long shot. You DID make a police report, right? Keep an eye on Craigslist every day, most likely they will be looking to unload the stuff cheap.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 7:49 am    

Bro; I have a pack a seat you can HAVE....and I have a few little odds and ends in that chair I don't use or even know what's in there(haven't opened it in couple years). I'm not coming back to Houston until July 2nd; so if you're around Austin anytime; call me and I'll hook ya up NO PROBLEM.
Ricky

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 9:06 am    

Ricky, I have been worried about you. How are you coming along after the wreck?

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 9:38 am    

Will, can you give us a list of stuff you lost or need? Perhaps many of us could send you a piece though we can't do anything about the sentimental values of your loss we might be able to help out. What kind of volume pedal did you lose? Ricky, we could all take lessons from you in trying to help each other in a situation like this. Smile
Jerry

Doug Clark

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 10:38 am    

James Jacoby wrote:
NO, it's NOT your fault, Will! It's the fault of the low life scum, that took your stuff!
^^^ "Ditto" on what Jake said.

But because there are too many thievin' bastages who haven't gotten caught yet, I'd offer one more bit of advice about keeping gear safe, or at least for getting it back if it gets stolen: mark it. In case keeping it out of sight and locked away from the reach of "felonious fingers" isn't enough, make it so you have a better chance of recovering it.

Putting markings in obvious places might be a deterrent (it's harder to "fence" something that's obviously someone else's property), but if you don't want to do that, put your driver license number or something equally traceable in a hidden spot. Use the two letter abbreviation for your state, then "OLN" (Operator License Number) and the number. That should give law enforcement officers a place to start looking if they recover your gear.

I probably wouldn't use ultraviolet (black light) markings even on the back or underside of guitars, but I'll mark the back of an amp or underside of an effect pedal. Many law enforcement officers carry UV flashlights these days, and when someone else's initials or OLN shows up on something in a thief's possession, Joe Critter has to 'splain that.
Battery compartments are another good place to put your name and/or OLN. (OLN can be looked up from any state and from Canada, if a US owner's property ended up across the border.)

I'm very sorry to hear about that, Will. I hope you get your gear back, and soon.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 11:30 am    

Keith it's a very slow healing after the amount of injuries I had after my wreck. But I am starting to play steel again.

Will is going through something that ya'll remember happened to me back in 2007; ALL my stuff was stolen.
I played a gig the NEXT NIGHT because of the beautiful folks in the steel guitar world. everyone set me up with enough stuff to make the next gig.
Lets do the same for Will. I know Will and you cannot meet a kinder fella that would do the exact same for any of us.
Ricky

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 1:31 pm    

Don - I decided to make a police report today. It actually seemed productive, and they informed me that if I can provide serial #’s they’ll know if anyone tries to pawn the items.

Ricky - Wow…thank you bro! It’s so good to see you posting again, and of course you come right back with all the generosity I’ve always known you to have. I’ll never forget you coming to that gig at Discovery Green early to give me advice back when I first started. That seat would be so helpful - I’ll give you a call!

Jerry - that is a very kind thought and gesture. The VP was a goodrich, and is the piece of gear I most need to replace. I don’t expect anything for free and would gladly repay anyone who may have an extra laying around.

Doug and James - thanks y’all. Doug, those are some great ideas. From now on I will be writing down serial numbers for every piece of gear I can, and probably will take on your thought of inconspicuously marking them as well.

Thanks so much everyone…My only intent in posting this was to help prevent it from happening to anyone else. Y’all are extremely generous. This post is making me feel a lot better about all this BS.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 2:01 pm    

Let me know if there is anything you need.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 2:35 pm    

Will, in getting back to the point of your post, it's important to know that most musical insurance companies will not pay a claim for items stolen from an unattended vehicle. Even if you are insured, stay vigilant.

I'm really sorry it happened to you. It sure makes you feel the ugly side of humanity for a while, but don't let it get you down. At least you weren't hurt.

Jeff Hanson

Belmont, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 7:23 pm    

Will,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Been there and it's awful.

Mike Neer,

It's a concern to hear that there are "musical insurance companies" that offer coverage for instruments that would exclude one of the very reasons you would want insurance.

I have and always will carry Professional Musicians Coverage on my equipment. I've found it impossible to not leave my vehicle unattended (locked yes, but unattended) during load in or load out at a venue.

For all of you that take your instruments out of your house and away from the limited coverage provided by homeowners or renter's insurance, please check out MusicPro Insurance. https://www.musicproinsurance.com

It will cover you for just about everything, anywhere in the world.

I can attest that claims are paid quickly. Admittedly, this won't replace anything of sentimental value but it does help soften the blow a bit.

I hope this post is in keeping with Will's PSA.

Star SD-10,Fender Strat, Martin acoustic, Nashville 112, Fender DeVille

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2015 7:24 pm    

I engraved my DLN on the underside of my 'Bud on both the metal AND wood, in a conspicuous spot. If anyone steals it, they'll have to grind it off, and that in itself will look suspicious.

Also, back in the old days, we had our band equipment and I had my 'Bud listed on a home owner's policy. I believe it was a yearly payment, a very low percentage of what we had it insured for.

So sorry to hear about your stuff, Will. I wish people would wise up. I remember living in Utah back in '80 and after a shopping trip, we could leave all of our stuff in the bed of our pickup and go in and watch a movie. Nothing was touched. Not like that now, unfortunately.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 3:36 am    

Sorry to read of this unfortunate incident. Please post a list of needed equipment, will help in any way possible.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 5:25 am     gear

will,
if i can help let me know. have a B.J bar and some pick's and coulple of blue thumb picks cords
DOD delay.... goodrich Vol pedal model 120

p.w

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 8:01 am    

I hate to see posts like this. What a bummer.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the set at TBF. You guys brough a really nice vibe to the festival... especially with the unexpected encore.

killer tone!!!

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 8:19 am    

Sorry to hear about this theft. ..i had all my gear stolen in 1998 and can empathize with the frustration. We left a patio door unlocked and while we were sleeping. .. voila. .. most everything in the living room disappeared like magic while we slept. I can only say that it may have been worse.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 6:48 am    

To me, only someone who harms an elderly person, child, woman, or animal is lower than a POS who will steal the tools a man uses to make his living. I catch someone doing that to me & his life will get very bad VERY quickly.
When I think about all the times I parked my car full of gear at Wal-Mart on the way home from a gig just to run in & grab a frozen pizza or something for dinner, I shudder.

Thankfully, you only lost some accessories & although they had sentimental value, at least you didn't lose your guitar,amp, or 6 string.

Here's a trick some of us Harley riders employ--hang an empty handgun holster in plain sight in your car; might make someone think twice.

Doug Clark

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 9:20 am    

Rich Upright wrote:
To me, only someone who harms an elderly person, child, woman, or animal is lower than a POS who will steal the tools a man uses to make his living. I catch someone doing that to me & his life will get very bad VERY quickly.
There probably wouldn't be enough time, but you could call some of us to come down and watch--or participate in--the guy's "attitude adjustment." Evil Twisted

Quote:
Here's a trick some of us Harley riders employ--hang an empty handgun holster in plain sight in your car; might make someone think twice.
Like those "Beware of Owner" signs. Evil Twisted

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2015 7:08 pm    

One thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned. I have pics of my steels,guitars, amps, and vehicles on my computer AND my phone. Should the need arise, I can pull up a pic for the police or insurance compnay, to prove the item was mine. I'm sure most of you have pics of your equipment, just in case something is ever stolen.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 9:45 am    

Thanks for the reminder Will. I had a pac-seat full of expensive stuff taken out of my car at a gas station once. I was lucky though and had a pretty good idea what had happened, so I simply went around behind the gas station and reclaimed it.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2015 10:03 am    

I travel and play all over Texas (and everywhere else), so the risk of theft is just part of dealing with the business.
My gear stays in our trailer unless I have a gig with someone other than my main gig. Then it's in my car. I don't take my gear out of the car even if I'm staying in a hotel.
I just don't worry about it.
First, don't travel with anything that can't be replaced. No valuable vintage gear, etc...
Second, get insurance. I use MusicPro. Every piece of gear I use out of the house, even stomp boxes, are insured. MusicPro covers theft, fire, flood, accident breakage...everything, 100%..no questions.
Theft is epidemic in Texas...especially in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio. There are so many bands traveling all over, they can follow you from club to hotel and wait to strike.
It happens nearly very week....trailer broke into, windows smashed, hell now they just take everything...van, trailer and all gear.
I just recently loaned my Emmons to a friend who's band had everything stolen. We just loaned another singer our van who had everything stolen.
Get used to it....get insurance...it will happen again.
Texas has become a third world country

Doug Clark

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 12:27 pm    

Chris Schlotzhauer wrote:
Get used to it....get insurance...it will happen again.
Texas has become a third world country
There was a time when Texas was known as a state where a careless thief could incur "work-related injuries." Evil Twisted

I think some of you will enjoy this. It might even cheer Will up a little. "Convertible-ized the thief's punkmobile." http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2007/11/theyre-so-stupid.html

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 3:31 pm    

when I used to play bars on lower Broadway in Nashville, I had a big old Lincoln Town Car, and fit all of my gear in the huge trunk, nobody could see a thing, but then, I had to unload all the stuff at the bar, and run out to the car and drive around trying to find a parking spot, oh boy, was I sweating not knowing if my gear will still be at the bar when I get there, and i had to do the same thing at the end of the night... what a night mare, that is one of the main reasons why I stopped playing lower Broadway... I couldn't imagine having to leave my JCH at the bar like that now days, i'd rather stay home...

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2015 5:00 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
when I used to play bars on lower Broadway in Nashville, I had a big old Lincoln Town Car, and fit all of my gear in the huge trunk, nobody could see a thing, but then, I had to unload all the stuff at the bar, and run out to the car and drive around trying to find a parking spot, oh boy, was I sweating not knowing if my gear will still be at the bar when I get there, and i had to do the same thing at the end of the night... what a night mare, that is one of the main reasons why I stopped playing lower Broadway... I couldn't imagine having to leave my JCH at the bar like that now days, i'd rather stay home...

I never have a problem leaving stuff at a bar, except for the time some karaoke drunk knocked my D-10 PP of the stage. I uload all the time & park; I would think it should be safe. I never leave any wood (guitars or steel) set up overnight in a bar. Gear is OK.