The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opionions sought on G&L ASAT, regular vs Tribute
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2004 9:26 pm    

I have a jones to own a G&L ASAT. I like the price of the Tribute line, but would condider full-fledged ASAT G&L if the tone or playability benefit was significant. Informed opinions, please!

Scotty Wenzel

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2004 1:32 am    

John,

I own an S-500 and saw and played a Tribute version S-500 recently. The Tributes are very, very close to the real deal. American electronics and the neck is excellent. The quality of workmanship on these is astounding. So much so that I am probably going to buy a Tribute ASAT now.

Hope this helps.

sw

------------------
Sho-Bud Pro III, G&L and Fender guitars, Ocarina, Comb/w paper

[This message was edited by Scotty Wenzel on 02 August 2004 at 02:33 AM.]

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2004 11:14 am    

Comb with paper? What tuning do YOU use on that? How many teeth? Any detuning problems?

: )

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2004 5:17 pm    

There is a guitar show at Santa Monica Civic this weekend. Buffalo Brothers in San Diego is always there, and they are a huge G&L dealer.

IMHO, if you can afford the real deal I'd get that over the Tribute.

------------------
Artie McEwan

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2004 8:50 pm    

I own and often play a recent, American-made G&L ASAT Thinline (they say 'semi-hollow') with 'large-sized' single coil pickups and tinted lacquer neck finish. I also played an '85 G&L Broadcaster (predecessor of the ASAT) for years. The guitar store that I used to own (and sold a few years ago, see www.alleycatmusic.net) is a G&L dealer, and I have played many American-made and Tribute models.

My experience is that the Tributes are good guitars, but I generally prefer the American models with (optional) tinted lacquer neck and swamp ash body. The Tribute necks, I believe, are all satin-finished, and bodies are either basswood (standard) or swamp ash (premium). I also think that the neck shaping on the higher-end American-made models is better - my experience is that they tend to have smoother edges, more like a hand-shaped neck would, say on an older Fender. This is just anecdotal, but I've played a lot of them.

Of course, some of these factors can vary significantly from guitar to guitar, so my acid test is to try a bunch. There's a roughly 2:1 price difference, so if you like the neck shape and don't mind the satin-finished neck, picking through some Tributes might be worthwhile. Either way, I recommend trying a lot of G&Ls, since the weights and feels vary quite a bit, imo.

Hope this helps.

------------------
MSA Classic D-10 8+4, Sierra S-10 3+4;
Peavey LTD 400, Line6 Pod 2.0 + Ampeg BA 112, '64 Fender Deluxe Reverb

[This message was edited by Dave Mudgett on 02 August 2004 at 09:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dave Mudgett on 02 August 2004 at 09:56 PM.]

Scotty Wenzel

Fort Collins, CO
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2004 3:13 am    

Hey John,

That's an extended Overbite Incisor 9 tuning, with all of my teeth (that I have left, 3). I do have tuning problems after eating BBQ ribs. It tends to gum up the paper and I end up playin'a baritone!!

All the best,

sw

------------------
Sho-Bud Pro III, G&L and Fender guitars, Ocarina, Comb/w paper

Ray Gehringer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2004 4:58 am    

John,

As I mentioned in my reply to your email regarding the ASAT that I have an ad for in this very same Instruments for Sale section, Tributes are generally pretty good instruments. As I had also mentioned in the same response www.guitarsbyleo.com is a good resource.
------------------
Best Regards,
Ray

[This message was edited by Ray Gehringer on 03 August 2004 at 06:54 AM.]

Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2004 6:17 am    

I just received my new G&L, ASAT, semi-hollow body (thinline style), Deluxe flame top, with two Seymore-Duncan humbuckers. These can be split to provide a pretty authentic tele sound. Rosewood fretboard with a 12" radius. This is not the Tribute. I think the axe is a jewel. My advice is to visit the G&L website, www.glguitars.com, and familiarize yourself with the different ASAT models available, differences in neck radius, available options, pickups, etc. There are actually 10 different necks offered, but these are limited for a particular model and set up. I found it similar to a PRS purchase. Alot of choices. You may also want to consider resale. The Tributes will likely not have the same appeal for resale. In summary, I like my new ASAT! Go for it!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2004 7:38 am    

Thanks for the all the feedback and advice, pickers, you've been a great help. My plan is to start with a Tribute, for cost reasons and because I'm primarily a rhythm player, and if I get any better at lead or just more ambitious in general, trade up to the full ASAT later. I do like the glossy necks better than Tribute's satin finish, but it's not a deal-killer.

Yes, guitarsbyleo.com is a great resource for G&L's, as is gbase.com.

Andrew Kilinski

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2004 12:56 pm    

read this before you buy. G & L was nice in the early 90's, i'm not so sure anymore.
http://www.edroman.com/guitar/home_gnl.htm

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2004 11:14 am    

After looking at that link, it sounds to me like this guy, Ed Roman, is a total jerk who decided to trash G&L for whatever reason -- maybe G&L pissed him off somehow. He's basically saying that G&L guitars are total crap because the neck bolt pattern isn't exactly interchangeable with the Fender neck bolt pattern. Duh.

Anyway, that little diatribe Roman wrote is dated more than 4 years ago and G&L is still selling guitars.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2004 12:27 pm    

I don't know, but maybe the 'trashing' was meant to strengthen the sales of the 'Pearlcaster'......

The last new G&L I picked up in a store was still a terrific instrument - just last week!

RR

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2004 7:06 pm    

Well,all I can say is this.. I keep hearing about how GREAT G&L guitars are and I just don't buy the hype. I have owned a Legacy and an ASAT. Both MINT cond. These two well constructed guitars were the very WORST sounding strat and Tele type guitars I have ever owned or heard. Dead, weak, thin sounding, lifeless pickups with NO suatain at all. Both were DOGS. Others I did not own but played were similar. Playability was about average to slightly below on both guitars. The crap Chinese built strat and Tele I play now sound MUCH better believe it or not. I would NEVER buy another G&L guitar. They are well put together,but have the WORST pickups I have ever used in my 35 years of playing guitar for a living. I would take an American Fender ANY day over one of these over rated guitars. It is possible I just happened to get two real mutts,but I personally know other players that have been VERY disappointed with the G&L pickups.... bob

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2004 8:21 pm    

I own 3 G&L instruments. A L-2000 fretless bass,an ASAT Classic,and a Legacy,and are well satisfied with all three. Two of them have Leo Fender's signature on the body,and all three have the 3 bolt neck. I couldn't ask for anything better.

Ray Gehringer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 6:42 am    

Ed Roman's opinion is worthless to me, I own a few G&L's... one Leo era and the others post 1991. Excellent quality either way and that's what I base my opinion on. Certainly they are not for everyone but then again what is? I guess the world would be a boring place if taste and opinion didn't vary. I'm sure there were at least a few people who thought Tele's and Strat's were dog's when they were introduced and all along the way for that matter. The real test is to go out and play some G&L's and decide for yourself... and not worry about opinions.

------------------
Best Regards,
Ray

Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2004 9:25 am    

I have to agree with Ray C somewhat. I just purchased a G&L S-500 strat. One of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. Great neck, well constructed, but sounds terrible. Weak and thin. I ended up taking my old '89 American Standard with the Van Zandt pickups back to the shop for a fret job. I'm back to playing it again. the S-500 is for sale if any of you boys are interested.
But, my son has an asat classic that has performed beautifully. It looks great and has a killer tone. I guess just check the guitar out really good before you buy it.

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

"Do Right, and Fear No Man"
Ronald Reagan

[This message was edited by Mark Metdker on 09 August 2004 at 10:26 AM.]