The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steinberg UR44
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2015 8:08 am    

I recently lucked into a used Mac Pro for my home studio, pre-loaded with Logic Pro 9 and 32 GB of RAM! I'm looking for a suitable interface. The Steinberg UR44 looks like it would work well, and it's in my price range (about $250). Has anyone here ever used it? Any problems?

www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur44.html

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 7:39 am    

After reading http://www.steinberg.net/forums/..., I'm having second thoughts about this unit.

Looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, which is a bit out of my price range but has a few more features. Here's an in-depth review (PDF file). Opinions welcome.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 8:17 am    

b0b,

I was an early adopter of the UR44. Absolutely no issues and the preamps are quite nice.

I am using it with Steinberg's Cubase so it's pretty tightly integrated to the software.

edit- I'm running Win 8.1 on a I7 platform and 16GB of RAM.

fwiw

hp

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 8:54 am    

Is it possible to try out the software for each one before you buy? At least look at some screen shots and read the manual. In my limited experience there is a big difference in capabilities and ease of use. For example my newer unit is very easy to use but the software does not allow me to send audio from a web browser into the mixer, so I can't record it. (Actually, it is still possible to use wires and send the output of the box to the input of the box.) I suspect this change for the worse comes from the DRM police.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 3:11 pm    

What are you using, Earnest?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 3:14 pm    

Look at this thread on the Sonar forum. It talks about the Steinberg and several others. May give you some insight.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Audio-Interfaces-Tascam-US4x4-Focusrite-Scarlett-6i6-or-Steinberg-UR44-m3236870.aspx

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2015 4:50 pm    

My old presonus 8in-8out card died. After a long consultation with sweetwater.com and lots of questions from me, on their recommendation for my needs I went with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 as its replacement. I am glad I did. No complaints.

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2015 5:09 pm    

I recently bought one to use for recording an acoustic instrument while listening to a click track. It works great for me. I can assign the audible start sync signal to the main output and the click track to one of the two headphone jacks so I can hear the click track in my headphones while my video cameras pick up the audible start sync signal from the main output via the speakers.

The preamps are clean and neutral. My DAW (studio one 3 pro) integrates with the unit seamlessly.

The only drawback is lack of spdif I/O. I can use my old mbox when I need to interface via spdif.

Karlis

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2015 6:39 pm    

I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and no complaints. The preamps are a skosh better than a Behringer ADA8000 and have plenty of gain. I looped the 18i20 back with a guitar cable and got basically the same specs they publish give or take a little.

I'm on Windows, but the 18i20 also works as my cue mix using REAPER. I use an old n-Track 3.0 as a recorder at the same time. This frees up a lot of desk space since I don't have to keep a mixer.

The 18i20 and 8i8 both come with an internal mixer ( and a desktop application to set things called MixControl ) but no f/x capability - an S/PDIF coaxial ( RCA) capable F/X unit would mean you could have at least reverb/delay in foldback without running two DAW programs and without using up 1/4" or XLR I/O.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2015 7:34 pm    

I ended up getting an Akai EIE Pro. Fairly simple to set up, exactly the features I wanted, well constructed, and a good price.

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 10:48 pm    

This is the unit I use.
The main advantage is that this unit has 'on-board' DSP which cuts down on CPU usage especially if you don't have a fast computer.
I love it
WC
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 6:34 pm    

I'm using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 which serves my needs well, I have stereo outputs from my rack box into the F/R to two tracks, and this works well for my overdub work.
I don't use the software that came with it though as I have Cubase Elements 8 and thats just outstanding.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.