The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Have All Pull guitars mechanics evolved much in last 25 yrs
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 11:31 pm    

I am just curious how much the mechanics of All pull guitars has changed over the last 25 years.
I have a 2013 Mullen Royal precision. Its has very simple bell crank/cross shaft mechanics. Would a 90's model Emmons legrande have many differences from a Legrande made today? The main reason I ask is because Sometimes I see older guitars for sale on the forum but I wonder If they will play as nicely as a modern all pull , as far as ease of pedal action, smoothness in raises and lowers etc.
Perhaps some of you forumites that own two all pulls from different eras could chime in here. THanks a bunch!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2015 1:56 am    

My former 70s era MSAs had a double raise double lower changer. The new MSAs have 4 raises, 3 lowers, and split screws.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 May 2015 3:09 am    

I don't think they've changed that much. They do have more bells and whistles such as compensators, splits, and half-stops that will help some players. They also have more raises and lowers, and some have more holes in the pullers, but the basic "feel" of the mechanism is pretty much the same.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 May 2015 5:03 am    

The mechanics, basically, like Donny says haven't changed much.

The all pull is much "cleaner" underneath than a PP. I've worked on Emmons PP's (completely disassembled the changer mechanisms several times) and on all pulls and I would rather work on an all pull.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2015 7:45 am    

Bruce came up with the hybrid changer on his Zum, that's the only major change I can think of.

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2015 8:04 am    

In chasing the P/P sound with an all-pull, I believe Carter had a similar idea to the Zum hybrid with it's "BCT", where the changer fingers contacted the body.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 22 May 2015 8:54 am    

I'd say the basics have not changed. But look at a modern Excel for a load of variations on the theme.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 22 May 2015 1:56 pm    

(delete wise guy thread here) ;- )

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2015 2:24 pm    

Going back 25 years? Not that many basic changes. But when I think back to the first all-pull guitar, The ShoBud Fingertip "Universal," Wow! A lot has changed!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 May 2015 4:00 pm    

I own a 76' RusLer S-11 and had played it on gigs for 27 yrs. it's a very dependable, solidly built and heavy steel guitar. I never had a problem with it, at all.
I purchased a brand new U-12 ZumSteel in 2003, which, is another excellent instrument. It plays smoothly and is very dependable. In fact, it's flawless! It's also much lighter than my RusLer. All of the ZumSteels parts are much thinner and lightweight, as is most new modern steels. The Zum's cabinet body (mica covered) is just a shade thinner, maybe 3/16"s, which makes it lighter. So, in answer to your question, one thing I can see is the streamlining of the instrumentent, in all respects. However, the Williams steel had a different approach with their 700 changer. The strings don't make a large bend over the radius. The ball ends project out the back of the finger by about 90* to the radius. The claim is less string breakage. And then, of course, are the keyless changers with less string length past the nut. Cuts down on overtones and breakage. Also, the Jackson steels seem to have pull rod tuners at both ends of their steels. The new ZumSteel Hybrid has a combo all pull, push-pull changer, also. It gets closer to the Emmons sound, which, by some is the Holy Grail of sound.
There are probably more innovations, but, I can't remember anymore right now. I'm sure somebody else will come up with them.

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2015 5:12 pm    

Perhaps the ideal psg hasn't been made yet due to restrictions caused by patented ideas. For example, the changer on the Infinity steel guitar is supposed to have bearings attached to the changer fingers to reduce friction and reduce the force necessary to make a change without resorting to a longer pull by moving the pull rod on the crank. Also, the ideas from MSA for on-the-fly adjustable pedal height (by moving the pedal rod connector adjustment) and a uniform pedal rod connector length (so there's no need to identify which rod must attach to which pedal) and also their back-lit illuminated fretboards should be a standard option. And it is my understanding that Anapeg guitars have a unique changer that comes much closer to the push-pull sound of the old Emmons guitars while still being relatively easy to adjust and tune. And, finally, have you ever considered how nice it would be if 90 percent of the changes on pedal steels were standard? You would be able to accept a gig anywhere and rent a "standard" guitar there without having to pay ransom to an airline for carrying you ax to the job...just thoughts...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 May 2015 7:19 pm    

John Billings wrote:
Going back 25 years? Not that many basic changes. But when I think back to the first all-pull guitar, The ShoBud Fingertip "Universal," Wow! A lot has changed!

Before the Sho~Buds came along, the Fenders, Bigsbys, and even the Harlin Multi-Kords, were all "all-pull" guitars. Cabled guitars are inherently "all pull", since pushing a flexble cable doesn't accomplish very much. Winking

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 May 2015 7:57 pm    

I have evolved back! Sho Bud Pro III with double raise/single lower !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website