The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Installing or modifying a knee lever
Kerry Hutcherson

Richmond, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 10:40 am    

I've been searching for some step-by-step guidance for installing a knee lever (or modifying the function of an existing lever) on the Forum, and I haven't found anything yet. Maybe I missed it. Could someone point me to a previous Forum post or other source for guidance on installing a knee lever?

Also, I'm not sure if you need to know this, but if it helps, I have a 1978 Sierra S-10. The pedals are set up in the Emmons configuration, LKL raises strings 8 and 4 a 1/2 step, LKR lowers strings 8 and 4 a 1/2 step, and RKL lowers strings 2 and 9 a 1/2 step. I'm trying to add RKR and modify the function of RKL.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 11:01 am    

Most guides would probably not translate well to Sierra, since most guitars have wooden decks and *KR brackets usually screw into the deck. The Aluminum Sierra would resist this. I'll try to help in any way I can. Here's some further questions.
1) What do you want RKL to do? To change the function, you'll A: unscrew and remove the pull rod from the bellcrank, and slide it out of the guitar. B: loosen the set screw that fastens the bellcrank to the rod. C: slide the bellcrank over to the new point (to have a straight pull). D: put the rod into the new location.
2) LKR and RKR will have pretty much the same parts as each other, but installed in different places. Because the levers move in the opposite direction of the pedals and left-moving knees, they'll have a reversing mechanism involved.