The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The legendary Herby Wallace
Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 6:48 pm    

After one of the Saluda SC shows featuring Hal Rugg, we all went out to dinner. Anyone who knew Herby knew he loved a good laugh, and I always tried to fuel that. At the restaurant I teased that he would have sounded much better if he had played an old Sho~Bud. He accused me of being "Still stuck on the Troubadours". Hal Rugg replied: "So what. . . so am I" Herby laughed 'til the room shook.

I can still hear his laugh, and I miss him every day.

Craig

Last edited by Craig Baker on 22 May 2015 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 May 2015 12:09 pm    

Herby was a great friend and is truly missed.
No one needs to play any faster than he sis on "Lady Be Good" and his nice slow rendition of "Until it's Time to Go" is one of my favorites by Herby.
Too many to mention, but these stand out to me.

He was special to me, because "I was his 2nd favorite singer, next to Stonewall Jackson", according to Herby......
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 10:46 am     Herby

I always enjoyed the times I spent with Herby at the PSGA shows and others and the 2 seminars I took from him.
He always had some great stories to share and "He wasn't Blowin' Smoke" as he would often say.
When he did our FSGC show in 2004 I bought the last belt buckle he had. I will always miss him.
I'm so glad I have several videos of him so that I can still enjoy his playing.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2015 4:58 pm    

unfortunately , I never had a chance to meet him, or hear him play live, but what a great player he was...amazing...

db

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2015 5:25 pm    

Herby, A nicer guy you'd never meet.

I've had the honor and pleasure to see and work with him at the PSGA shows in Norwalk, CT for the last ten years, before his passing.

He always loved to play with our house band and played the Jazz and Swing classics that he loved.

You could see and feel his frustrations after his stroke, but he trudged on and dealt with he hand he was dealt.

I will always remember talking to him at Chuck's Steak House in Darien, CT which is now also gone, with his wife, and will cherish the time we got to spend together.

The last time I saw him was helping him load his equipment in his van, I'll miss him and his soul.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2015 5:32 pm    

Herby was a great person and talent . I truly mis him. Bought my last guitar from him. I was on the road , big truck , and we talked several nights , after I shut down , before we made a deal. He was sold on a black guitar and I had one in the past and wanted another color. Last time I saw him was in Kingsport Tn. shortly before his passing.
Mis you Herby. RIP Maybe we will meet again.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 2:54 am    

Herby and I were friends for some 40 years. Yep, sometimes we disagreed, but that was good.

I always loved it when he would come up to me after I played and would say "That was pretty average for an old guy" Yep I was 14 days older than Herby and always teased him about how much better looking I was than him. hehe

Here's a classic picture from 2001.
They put me up there with the big boys (and I sunk).

AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2015 3:38 am     Norwegian Pedal Steel Convention Herby Scotty 1984

Here is a photo from a Norwegian Pedal Steel Convention that Herby and Scotty put on over three days in 1984 The event was held north of Oslo and was an absolute fun time in addition to being a unique and worthwhile learning experience.

Both Herby and Scotty were aces and as nice as could be. Scotty is in the middle in a light blue shirt and Herby on the far right .

Thanks to the Norwegians who brought them over. I think you were one the of organizers, right, Steinar? steve t