The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The legendary Herby Wallace
Del Ray Grace

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2015 2:38 am    

What a great honor to stand next to this awesome legend. Love to the Wallace family RIP.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 15 May 2015 4:40 am    

I miss Herby......an over the top player and a wonderful stage presence.....a humble gentleman.....

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 15 May 2015 11:41 am    

I would love to be able to play even a little like Herby when I grow up.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 May 2015 12:43 pm    

Herby Wallace, I'm so glad that I saw him playing live in Newbury, England. Thanks for the photo!

Del Ray Grace

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2015 12:54 pm    

We met Mr. Wallace in Columbus, Ohio at one of Gary Preston's Steel Guitar Jubilee events. So glad he allowed this photo op because no one would believe this.

www.sacredstrings.com

Hamilton Barnard

Oro Valley, Arizona (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 May 2015 2:08 pm    

Cool pic.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 May 2015 1:37 am     Hw

Herby always sat and talked with me about different guitars, especially Mullen PSG's when he would come down for the Gulfport shows. We had some in depth conversations about the building of the Mullen guitars. He would even take a Mullen and lay it in the case and explain in detail the undercarriage building, as well as, the top side also. We were planning on having him order me a D-10 HWP Mullen, red mica but he passed away before I was ready. He and Hughey were my favorite guys to talk steel with. But I did get a new guitar later. An Excel. Very nice guitar, it just took me a while to get it set to my feel.

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 16 May 2015 6:27 am    

I once gave him a hello at an event. He seemed to be a down to earth guy and easy to like, and one helluva psg picker, IMO, none better on either neck. Nothing upsets me more than a jerk!!!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 May 2015 6:52 am    

We (Florida Steel Guitar Club) hosted a Steel Guitar Hall of Fame fundraising show about 10 years ago. The two that the audience remembered most were Don Helms and Herby Wallace. I often get comments about these two by people that attended the show.

Del Ray Grace

Toledo, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2015 6:31 pm    

I only met Mr. Wallace once and I was impressed beyond measure. Great guy!

Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 May 2015 7:45 pm    

Del Ray,
Thanks for posting that great picture. Can't believe Herby's been gone three years already.

What a talent. . . what a loss. Miss you Herby.

Craig

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 18 May 2015 6:18 am    

I had the great pleasure of speaking with Herby on several occasions when he was living in Chattanooga. My parents were living in Ringgold GA just a few minutes away.

When I visited them I would drop by the shop in the back of his house on some excuse to buy strings etc.

Herby never once acted as if it was an imposition. He even took the time to show me some licks and answer any questions no matter how dumb.

A remarkably humble man given his incredible talent.

He will be missed.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2015 8:32 am    

Between 2000 and 2007 I attended the Pedal Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Benefit shows put on in Toledo by Jess Hurt and therefore heard this brilliant player every year. I wish I had purchased some of his tab material....at the time I had no C6 to use it with. He is much missed by many today.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 May 2015 10:34 am    

I too miss Herby a lot ! We were born in the same year. I think I bought about every tab and instructional material he put out...his tabs were so clear and precise and a joy to work from. We even talked toy trains, as we found out that we had that in common as well...he said he always went to a train shop in every city he visited. Nice man, and like has been stated, very humble...what a great talent on both necks...one of my favs of all time ! One of the nicest men you could ever meet.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 May 2015 11:57 am    

Charles Curtis wrote:
Nothing upsets me more than a jerk!!!

not sure what the point of this is, in a thread about someone who's obviously not a jerk. Question

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 18 May 2015 3:11 pm    

Chris,
Hopefully, Charles was merely emphasizing that it stood out what a nice guy Herby was. . . Sometimes you really have to search and search, but there are a few jerks out there.

Herby really appreciated quality. He sought it and found it in the musicians he admired, Oscar Peterson, Thumbs Carllile and Buddy Emmons. He always liked having the best audio and recording equipment. Of course his steel guitar rig was the best. He loved to laugh and he loved classic movies and great comedians, Steve Allen, Tim Moore etc. He loved excellent ice cream and restaurants with "leather menus". That was the Herby I knew.

Herby could keep me on the phone for hours; he was a master story teller. He could really paint pictures in your mind and I never got tired of listening. In fact, he could embellish a story so well, it was almost better to have Herby go to a steel show. . . come home and tell you about it. . . than it was to go there yourself.

If you had the good fortune to spent time around Herby and Bunny, you came away a richer person.

I quote:

"Boy you've really done it this time"

. . . Herby Wallace at Steel Session '86 when I had the band kick off Chattanooga Choo Choo to his surprise. Of course it was flawless.

Respectfully,
Craig Baker

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 19 May 2015 1:31 pm    

I just have to relate this story to you guys. I went to one of Herbs seminars in Colorado Springs one time. Not sure of the year but probably in the 80's. After the seminar we went to a VFW where there was a live band. We set up our steels next to each other on the stage and would swap licks. The band was going to play some old standard song and Herb said for me to kick it off. I told him I did not know how they did it and that he got paid to do that stuf, maybe he should kick it. He laughed and said I don't know how they do it or the right tempo and I am not going to make a fool out of myself. He said let the guitar player kick it off. LOL
I miss him, Jeff Newman, Tommy Morrell and Maurice.

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 19 May 2015 1:39 pm    

Dave,
You bring to mind two Herby stories:

At a seminar in Reading, PA. The guitar player was exceptionally good. . . but he had never heard of "San Antonio Rose"

Out closer to Pittsburgh, another local band was hired to back Herby. It was a country band and they had never heard of "Born To Lose"

Herby asked. . . "Where do they find these guys?"

Craig

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 19 May 2015 8:17 pm    

One thing I remember about Herby--he gave not one damn when it came to voicing his opinion about anything--Especially about country music. Herby was too old to get a first-class gig. Youth trumped talent--still does. Herby spent his life trying to learn, and play, ONE instrument, the steel guitar. He didn't double on anything else.

Herby, it ain't got no better. Got worse. You ain't missing out on nothing.

Love you, Brother.

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 8:07 am    

Yes Stephen, Herb made the comment to me one time that in the Pigeon Forge area there was not much work for just a steel player. You needed to play more than one instrument. What a shame that a great player like him could not find steady work.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 8:22 am    

I recall at the steel shows everyone wanted to hear "Four-Wheel Drive" and usually they got their wish, but for me there was nothing more heavenly than to hear his gentle rolling of the bar vibrato technique on a slow song like "Misty" or "Crazy" .... gotta hear it now!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 1:13 pm    

RIP Herby. What a great steel guitarist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5EWyj8bIIY

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 May 2015 5:24 pm    

Luckily, I got to see and hear him at numerous shows in St Louis and Dallas. Always fantastic whether it was slow and beautiful, or jumping swing.

One time I was wandering past a side room, and he was demoing a rack unit with two 15" cabs. I still remember that sound, it was incredibly big and rich and just perfect.

Always nice to talk to him as I would make a point of stopping by his booth and buying some CD's or instructional material. All fans of the steel should have a collection of Herby Wallace stuff...I'm firing up the CD player now!

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 5:27 pm     Herby in Norway

I've not been able to get much one-one pedal steel instruction but the three day Herby Wallace and Scotty meeting near Oslo,Norway was most outstanding.
Not only was it jam packed with instruction but a barrel of fun as well for about 45 of us. Thanks Herby and Scotty. steve t

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2015 5:54 pm    

Met Herbie in San Francisco back in the mid 80's
Man, he could tear up a C6 neck. Nice guy too.