The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beware Jeffran.shop
Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 6:46 pm    

I just went to the new Jeffran.shop site to see if they were accepting Paypal, as that is the ONLY way I would ever deal with them again. Luckily that's how I dealt with them in the past and got reimbursed from Paypal for my items I never received.

So I am interested in the Universal DVD course and started to go through the ordering process to see what would happen. It looked like my order went to the "cart", but there was no "cart" button anywhere! No way to get to the cart and check out! (or check for a Paypal link.)

So I tried clicking on another item to see if I could get to the cart that way and I got a page from Google saying the site had a Privacy Error. It could steal your passwords, messages and credit card numbers.

And, yeah, I got an email last week from Jeffran.shop advertising their Christmas sale, so I was hoping this was someone new taking over the business. Obviously not. Still so saddened by what happened to this company as I feel Jeff's instructional material is some of the best.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 9:18 pm     Re: Beware Jeffran.shop

Lynn Fargo wrote:
So I tried clicking on another item to see if I could get to the cart that way and I got a page from Google saying the site had a Privacy Error. It could steal your passwords, messages and credit card numbers.

That error indicates that communication with the site is not encrypted by the https protocol. If you were to enter a password or credit card number in a form there, it's like writing it on a postcard instead of sealing it in an envelope. It can be seen by snoops on it's way to the destination.

This does not mean that the site's owner is stealing your private information. It just means that the communication channel is not secure. Also, Google is sometimes a bit overprotective with their message. A protected site with an simple image that isn't explicitly https will trigger an error, even though images are rarely dangerous.

These are novice webmaster mistakes, not necessarily an indicator of maliciousness. To be safe, never enter sensitive information in a form on a web site that's insecure. You should see a padlock in your browser's address bar if a site is buttoned up properly.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2019 5:55 am    

Thanks for clarifying b0b! Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขm new to Chrome.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 9:09 am    

So I just tried the new Jeffran.shop site again, this time from Internet Explorer. It Did take me to a Cart from which I could complete my transaction, but the only method of payment shown was by credit card. There was NO Paypal link. Just sayin'.

I would have liked to try to get Jeff's Universal DVD course from her but only if I could have used Paypal and been protected. Guess I'll just put an APB out for a used copy.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 5:00 pm    

Yay, a Forum member contacted me and I now have the DVD!

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 10:20 pm    

Try and get the book for it too. It is well worth the effort.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2020 3:17 pm    

Jim Reynolds wrote:

Is there a book for the DVD course? I thought this one was DVD only. I have the other Universal course he had out.
Thank you!

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2020 4:44 pm    

Are those crooks still in business?? I paid and never got 2 sets of picks years ago and they never delivered, responded or refunded.

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2020 1:41 pm    

I haven't received an email from them in a few months. Wish they'd sell the business to someone who knows what they're doing! Jeff's stuff is great!

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 1 May 2020 2:45 pm    

Lynn Fargo wrote:
Jim Reynolds wrote:

Is there a book for the DVD course? I thought this one was DVD only. I have the other Universal course he had out.
Thank you!

There wasn't a book for the DVD. They are sperate products. The Universa course book one came with a cassette. It's like a grounds up B6th(C6th) course. But, his C6th workshop is Better my opinion. You can use it with a 12 string universal also.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2020 6:48 pm     Dvd

I have 3 copies of the Universal Course by Jeff, they all have the DVD, plus a Book that goes with them.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.