The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  great lessons
Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 5 May 2015 6:10 pm    

A few months ago, I posted a tab that as a new steel player I had hit the wall and literally wandering and guessing what to practice. Several of you guys suggested I get a teacher. Since there were no teachers in my area, I did a lot of research on steel players who teach via Skype. I chose John McClung. John is organized, has specific lesson plans. I am totally impressed with John. He is brillant, patient and an excellent TEACHER. I am now learning how to play and using the right technique. He is tremendous.

Brian Saulsman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2015 6:27 pm    

Glad to hear that Gary. I also had the privilege of working with John and agree with your comments. I really improved in many ways after my work with him. Although I am still a beginner, I am much further than I would have been without his help.

All the best.

Brian Saulsman

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2015 8:04 pm    

Gary.. I am taking lessons from John as well, and the jury is still out. 1 month in and I still can't play like Lloyd. Think I'll try and get my money back..

JUST KIDDING JOHN!

I agree with Gary, especially on the organized lessons with tabs and sound files as well as John's attention to detail, but he still allows you enough freedom to develop your own style.

He also works with 12 string players which is a big plus for me..

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 May 2015 2:48 am    

John is also a great player.

Ed Brooks

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2015 7:37 am    

I started taking lessons from John just over two months ago. He has made a huge impact on my playing. The band I am in had a show a couple weeks ago and I really could see and hear the difference his lessons have made.

I echo everyone above, I like the detailed curriculum and John's flexibility to individual needs and requests. I am really happy I decided to take lessons from him.

Ed

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2015 10:32 am    

John is a great player, teacher, and all around good guy. I am proud to say that he also contributes a teaching column in the monthly publication of the Southwestern Steel Guitar Association newsletter, "The Steel Guitar Rag".

Billy Easton

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2015 8:01 pm    

Wow, can you tell I'm blushing?! Thanks for kicking this off Gary. Gary Cooper, btw, is one of my newest students, and he's working his tail off and making rapid progress.

It's truly my pleasure and honor to help folks get where they want to go with the E9, and more and more I evaluate where students are coming from and try to find the proper starting spot in my "E9 101" curriculum, and then take it from there.

For a bit more info, check out my website, http://steelguitarlessons.com ; it's a little out of date, and I'll be updating soon: I now live in gorgeous Olympia, WA, but most lessons are on Skype so it doesn't matter where I live or where you live.

My mission statement is "to take you from where you are, to where you want or need to be." I also approach it very logically and methodically, and strive to train you to be a good MUSICIAN who happens to play pedal steel, so the curriculum is heavily about understanding song structure via the Nashville number system, listening to chords and melodies as scale degrees, and mapping all that to your E9 neck. It's not a bunch of lessons teaching tablature or licks, seek that out elsewhere if that's your goal.

For more lessons info, send an email to me at steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net, and I'll fire off the giant PDF explaining the curriculum in great detail.

I'd also like to plug the great Southwest Steel Guitar Association, who put on one of the finest steel shows in the country. I urge you to become a member if for nothing else other than their great newsletter, The Steel Guitar Rag, which now boasts 4 regular columnists: Ron Pruter covers mechanical issues of pedal steel; the brilliant Rick Schmidt writes about C6; clever Kevin Ryan turns in great and innovative E9 ideas and licks; and I wax philosophical with some licks, but mostly general topics and questions I get from readers and my students. That's a lot of bang for the $25 bucks per year a membership costs. The newsletter is generally published monthly.

http://www.swsteelguitar.com/membership.htm

And Billy Easton and his whole crew couldn't be nicer, or more supportive, of the steel guitar and its quirky tribe. Thanks for all you do, Billy & Staff!!

And thanks again, students, for your compliments and feedback. None of these were paid endorsements!

Last edited by John McClung on 7 May 2015 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 6 May 2015 8:04 pm     right hand

My right hand technique was horrible. John showed me in the first lesson what I had wrong but more importantly how to fix it. John is truly an amazing teacher. Another thing John has done for me he inspires me to get better and I do not want to let him down. A great teacher has to be a great player, which John is, but he knows how to teach.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2015 4:52 am    

John, you may want to edit that first link in your post. The URL needs a space between it and the semicolan to make it work as intended.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2015 9:03 pm    

Don, thanks for pointing that out. Seems to working correctly now. I never knew a semi-colon was so pesky!

Jim Hussey

Reno, Nevada - USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2015 5:49 pm    

I have to add a plug here for John.

For many years, my steel slept under the bed. About 5 years ago, I recommitted to learning, practicing, and playing PSG. To do so, I was looking for an instructor who could help me learn how to both "think" and "feel" PSG. John was that instructor.

His material is very well prepared, methodical, progressive, understandable, professional, and organized. You will follow a specific path that will cover all you need to start playing and have fun (right hand, left hand, ears, some theory, structure, substitutions, how to think like a pro, etc.). When you get through that (and you'll have fun doing it), John will tailor subsequent lessons to your specific needs and request.

I can't say enough good things about Johns instruction. When I started, I was bored and frustrated sitting in the back room playing tab that I didn't understand. Now I'm giging regularly with a local band and having a blast. I have a lot more to learn, but I would not be this far along without Johns initial instruction and subsequent support.

Give him a call, you won't regret it.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 8 May 2015 7:59 pm     John

jim, you made some excellent points...John has exceeded all my expectations. The inspiration he has provided me along with his expertise in teaching is phenomenal.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 8 May 2015 11:54 pm    

I don't know what else to add that hasn't already been said but I have benefited tremendously from John's instruction and am looking forward to my next lessons with him.

Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 9 May 2015 7:33 am    

John was also my instructor many years ago and still remains a great friend. He has his own style in his playing that simply stands out. He writes an article each month in the Steel Guitar Rag' for "Southwest Steel Guitar Association". His articles are outstanding!

Playing the instrument is one thing. Teaching is it's own unique talent. John is great at both! He'll show you how to play it, then explain how and why you got there! In today's electronic world, there are several devices available to help you learn and play. John has reviewed many of them and can steer you in the right direction there also.

If you're new to the pedal steel or looking to advance to the next level, I highly recommend John as an instructor. As you can see by the previous posts, so do many others.

A few months ago, we posted a link for the Steel Guitar Rag' on the forum, (in the Steel Players section). Below is the link if you'd like to read one of John's articles and see a copy of the newsletter that we publish each week.

http://www.swsteelguitar.com/newsletters/SGR201503012239.pdf

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2015 11:38 am    

I appreciate the continuing words of praise from all my students, current and former. Truly means a lot to me that you've found my approach valuable and helpful.

Do take a minute and click that link in Bill Tauson's post to a sample issue of the SWSGA's great newsletter, The Steel Guitar Rag. Bill is the new editor of the publication, he does a great job. I've been writing for the Rag for over 3 years now.

I want to re-emphasize: the newsletter now has 4 regular pro player columnists (see my previous post in this thread), so it's well worth your hard-earned $25 to become an SWSGA member to receive the newsletter, plus you get reduced admission to the great annual show they put on in January. Your membership is a little like getting practically free lessons from me and Rich Schmidt and Kevin Ryan! And tech advice from Ron Pruter.

What did you spend on your steel guitar and other gear? Somewhere between $2K and $10k, I'll bet. I'm sure you can find your way to support this great organization, and derive great personal benefits, with a mere $25 contribution.

Here's where to join:
http://www.swsteelguitar.com/membership.htm

End of sales pitch! Very Happy

Peter Kirwan

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 24 May 2015 10:29 pm    

I've been taking my lessons from John McClung via Skype from Australia and they're working out great. John's a really positive guy and a great teacher, his methods and course materials are logical and well paced with plenty of challenging exercises. Highly recommended. Very Happy

Jim Hinds

Gallatin, TN USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2015 10:50 pm    

What do you guys use to record your Skype lessons?

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2015 12:49 pm    

Hey there, Jim. Here's what I recommend for easy recording of both video and audio of Skype lessons:

Mac: Call Recorder for Mac http://ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/
PC: Pamela, Evear, or Free Video Call Recorder for Windows.

Jim Hinds

Gallatin, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2015 2:05 pm    

Thanks John

David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 3:16 pm    

After playing regular guitar for many years I made the leap into pedal steel. Lessons with John really helped kickstart my pedal steel playing. He has a very logical and fun approach. Highly recommended!

Scott McRee

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 8:16 am     Steel lessons with John

I started steel a couple of years ago, and really just could not find a proper structure anywhere to get me on the right track and let me know I was practicing efficiently. I came across John McClung and have to say, the whole process of learning the steel is finally coming to fruition. For me, I have to fall in love with the journey of becoming good at something and not just the end result. Like I said, that has finally come to fruition. John's program is nothing short of perfect. I have never seen any program/lesson plan as organized, well thought out, and fine tuned as Professor McClungs. It allows you to fully maximize your potential as a steel player. He motivates, pushes you, and goes in a perfect pace that is fitting for you. I honestly can't speak higher praises of John's ways of teaching the pedal steel. I will go to bat 100% confidently for John as a steel guitar teacher all day long and say that taking lessons from John, no matter what level you're at, will drastically improve your abilities,understandings, and love for the pedal steel guitar as a whole. I can't thank you enough John, and look forward to continuing these lessons with you. Thanks again my friend.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 9:34 am     John McClung

Scott, I agree 100%. John is excellent.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2015 9:40 am    

When beginning steel guitar there is no substitute for a capable teacher. Sounds like John has got a great lesson plan.

Charles Osborn

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 5:58 pm     John McLung

I have been reading the words of praise for John for several months, and trying to decide what accolades to give him that haven’t been said, and said several times. Then when he mentioned my name in a recent SWSGA newsletter “Grab Bag”, I decided it was time! I have been taking lessons from John for several years, both in his studio, and now via Skype. I went through his “basic” course, which I might say is more than basic---and very organized and comprehensive. By the time you finish his course you have all of the elements of steel playing, and you just have to stick to the elements of his course to progress far beyond those lessons. I have always been impressed with his teaching ability, and especially his patience. Since I play at home for my own pleasure, he is the only regular contact I have with a real live steel player. We work on whatever he or I decide might be interesting, such as multiple versions of a chord, or throwing a in a new lick now and then, or just learning a new version of a old song. So in short, my lessons with him are the highlight of my steel playing-----yes John, I know you try to groom your students to play in a band-------but guess I am an anomaly!

Mel Bergman

Camarillo, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 6:57 pm    

Plus one for John. He has helped me tremendously. If you are thinking about signing up for his well thought out lessons, don't put it off for as long as I did. Seriously. Great teacher, completely reasonable fees and he makes it fun.