The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  shobud extender kit
Paul Smith

Ma
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2015 5:37 pm    

Hello Everyone,

Im trying to adjust my shobud 6139 that I just purchased, I cant fit underneath the guitar with the shobud volume pedal that I got. So I tried to adjust the guitar but of course I failed because my pedal rods are too short when I adjusted the legs longer. Plus I 2 spacers for the pedal rack..

Does anyone know if I can get longer rods for my shobud, or an extension for my rods that I have, plus spacers for the front above the pedal rack....

any information would be very helpful

thanks,

smitty

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2015 5:59 pm    

Paul, get a couple squares of plywood 1/4" thick and put under the legs on the changer end. I had a guitar that I had to do this and it worked out fine.

Tony

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2015 6:29 pm    

Some people like Jerry Roller sell lift kits. You can also just go to a Home Depot, Lowes or a good Ace Hardware. You'll need threaded spacers in the length you want. Most kits are 1" or 2". Then a set screw to fit in the spacer. That set screw also goes into the ball joint on the end of the pedal rod. Screw the spacer onto the pedal rod and adjust to your liking. You'll also need to have 2 spacers that will go on the bottom part of the legs between the pedal bar and the leg clutch. You could maybe cut a dowel and relace the one's in the front legs with the new longer one's.

Show Pro also sells the extenders. Just click on the LINKS button at the top of the page. The forum might also have them in the catalog.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2015 7:27 pm    

Micheal Yahl @ PSG parts will make you any length pedal rod you need.

Paul Smith

Ma
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 5:23 am     front leg spacers

Hello,

In my latest saga working on my shobud 6139, I need to raise the height of the guitar.. (I purchased 1" rod extenders on the way) so my question is that the front of the guitar with the pedal rack has a clutch that I can loosen to increase the length of the front legs (same with rear legs) can I just loosen the clutch, increase the length of the leg, which in turn lifts the clutch off of the pedal rack.. will that hold? or do you need a spacer there? I was thinking the pressure of pushing on the pedals might "pull" the leg back down towards the pedal rack..

any help of course is much appreciated,

thanks,

smitty

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 6:01 am    

A spacer will be required.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 6:04 am    

You should have a spacer for the front legs... the clutch can slip on you, and always at the worst possible moment, it seems.
If your pedal bar attaches with the screw thru the leg and a wing nut, you'll need a thicker spacer than usual.
If it has the slider plate, you'll be fine with a standard lift kit spacer.
Michael Yahl is your go-to guy for that sort of thing.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 6:08 am    

If you have screws and wing nuts, you could drill new holes higher up.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 7:31 am    

Here is what I did.. all from Ace Hardware.. total cost about $20 and works fine..

Took the couplers and found a stainless steel screw about 1 1/2 inch long and cut the head off and cleaned up the threads with a grinder.. this was used to extend the rods.

Found 2 chromed spacers 1 inch long with an ID of legs (5/8ths? cant remember) which slip over the legs and against the collet that tightens the legs down.. this prevents the bar from sliding up..

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 8:29 am    

Something is needed to prevent the front leg from collapsing when you press a pedal. The resistance of the clutch itself isn't enough.

You can use Hal's approach, with a collar on the OUTSIDE of the leg extension. Or you can use a wooden dowel INSIDE the leg.

Dan

Paul Smith

Ma
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 2:17 pm     thanks very much

Thanks everyone for your input.. and thanks for the pics that was very helpful indeed.

smitty

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 6:01 pm    

Check out McMaster-Carr. I bought probably a lifetime supply of parts for lift-kits for very little do-re-mi.

A couple of old threads on this:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=203787

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1175173

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 9:28 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Check out McMaster-Carr. I bought probably a lifetime supply of parts for lift-kits for very little do-re-mi.

A couple of old threads on this:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=203787

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1175173

Dave,

I'm glad you posted this. I made extensions with F-F hex coupling nuts, but had to cut a piece of screw for one end. I read your old post about McMaster-Carr, where I found Male-Female Threaded Hex Standoffs that should be easier to use. They are available in a variety of lengths and screw sizes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-standoffs/=wyhmrm

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2015 10:49 am    

You can buy the spacers in different lengths and different length set screws to go between the spacer and the ball joint at any good hardware store. I did a D10 with 9 pedals for under $15 (not including leg spacers). some of my pedals have different lengths of extenders. The leg spacers are the hardest thing. You could use conduit and polish it up with mother mag polish. It won't look buffed to a shine, but will still look decent.