The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Contemporary Christian Music
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2015 2:40 am    

Darvin Willhoite wrote:
Same preacher, different music director. He didn't have much use for us white haired guys, even though he was in his mid 40s, so we white haired guys left.

The track is busy, but it fits the style of the song. They can't all sound the same. Here's one that may fit your taste better.

https://app.box.com/shared/poz838x30v

Yeah, that's better. How are the drums miked? You using triggers?

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2015 3:51 am    

No triggers, just mics. My Son, the sound guy, ran our studio for several years and being a drummer, was really critical on drum micing methods. And because he was a drummer, he tends to run the drums a bit hot.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2015 5:34 am     Re: Contemporary Christian Music

Brian Henry wrote:
I have been asked to sit in and play along with a Contemporary Christian group for a number of gigs over the summer. I am comfortable doing backup for a country singer, or playing solos but am not sure what to do in this group.
They have given me a free hand and just want to improve their overall sound. Since I don't want to turn them into a country band, should I just use my lap steel non pedal or use my Carter Pro without using the pedals. I welcome any advice in this adventure. Thank you so much!

PSG works great in Contemporary Christian music. I've played at my church often, the congregation loves the sound.

Don't play "country," just play music. I find that approaching more as a texture player works best - listen to Greg Leisz, Eric Heywood, and Paul Niehaus. All great players with a more texture/color approach to ornamenting a song.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2015 3:57 pm    

Slightly off topic here. About six years I had a ten year old girl who took bass guitar lessons from me.
It takes a talented young lady to wrestle a 34' Fender bass scale. She took about 75 lessons, went through 3 method books, plus supplementary
material. In short she was great. She was playing at their church with her brother's and sister,actually I'd taught all four. A youth minister,or leader,what
ever you call them commented that she didn't know what she was doing and didn't know how to play the bass. She went home in tears and never picked up the bass again. Of course this was a reflection on me as a teacher when the father told me this. He wanted to go over to the church and beat hell out of this guy, but not as much as I wanted to. Prior to this, let me say that these kids had played christian music in other churchs and had been well recieved. What I'm trying to say is people in the position of authority
should be encouraging young musicians. Not discouraging them. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2015 11:20 am    

Playing my first PSG Worship gig tonight. Ive been plugging away for 2 months, so this will be my first time out with the PSG. I packed it in the case and forgot how dang heavy it was!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2015 10:51 pm    

Brian, just don't play any jazz. Remember, "W.W.J.D." or, What Would Jernigan Do?

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2015 4:12 pm    

Adam Tracksler wrote:
Playing my first PSG Worship gig tonight. Ive been plugging away for 2 months, so this will be my first time out with the PSG.

Let us know how it went, Adam!

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 8:26 am    

Went great. The psg sat nicely in the mix. Since most of the songs are I, IV, vi, V. I could play in a nice little pocket. Was super fun and well received.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2015 5:01 pm    

I have been touring around our area a bit with this contemporary group and feel very accepted and wanted. I have learned a few. "Jesus culture" tunes but I have a question.
Traditionally I have used an analog delay and some of these songs could do with some distortion ... Hendrix style.

What would be a good distortion unit I could buy that would give me that sound. Thank you for the encouragement!

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2015 6:22 pm    

Proco Rat works well for me. I use it quite often in P&W music. It needs to go between the guitar and the volume pedal.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

David Phillips

San Francisco CA , USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2015 6:57 pm    

Hi Brian,
I am a member an excellent band playing pedal steel and occasionally resonator for City Church San Francisco.
I would be happy to talk with you about my thoughts and approach. Email me if you care to talk.
I would like to support you and your endeavor.
David Phillips
pedaldp@hotmail.com