The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Contemporary Christian Music
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 9:02 am    

I have been asked to sit in and play along with a Contemporary Christian group for a number of gigs over the summer. I am comfortable doing backup for a country singer, or playing solos but am not sure what to do in this group.
They have given me a free hand and just want to improve their overall sound. Since I don't want to turn them into a country band, should I just use my lap steel non pedal or use my Carter Pro without using the pedals. I welcome any advice in this adventure. Thank you so much!

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 9:44 am    

Use the pedals and don't play phrases that sound "country."

I have played in a couple of groups where I played steel, but not country at all. Horn parts, leslie organ-type stuff, distorted lead and chording, reggae and steve cropper style R&B.

Just get the chord charts so you have some idea as to where your chords are going to lay on the neck, then find a few alternates for them, then let your ears tell you which parts fit and when you are overplaying. I usually start with gentle chording to find the best variations of chord-voicings. Look for key hooks to learn.

Can you get a practice CD of the sets you'll be playing on?

Also, record the first practice to be sure you are playing in tune with them as well as playing complimentary parts.

My 2 cents
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 11:08 am     Contemporary Christian

Real Two Chord Songs

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 6:44 pm    

Be careful mentioning "Contemporary Christian Music" on this Forum, there are lots of members that think this type of music is blasphemous, and they don't hesitate to tell you so.

I played in a Contemporary Christian Band for about 17 years, playing mostly steel until the last 2 or 3 years. I then played guitar mostly and occasionally bass. I had a blast and still like to listen to some of the songs we did. I pretty much stayed away from the Country cliche licks, and used distortion, chorus, and phase etc. as I felt they would fit well with the song.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 7:09 pm     Info

Several years ago I tried, couldn't make it work. Don't mean to say I am right and they are wrong or vise-verse, My country sounds just didn't work with modern music.
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email

Last edited by Ray Thomas on 16 Apr 2015 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 5:01 am    

Darvin Willhoite wrote:
Be careful mentioning "Contemporary Christian Music" on this Forum, there are lots of members that think this type of music is blasphemous, and they don't hesitate to tell you so.

My guess is talking about playing steel is perfectly acceptable. It's when people stray into being overtly religious that some are offended. We are discussing a style of music and the application of pedal steel guitar into it, not anything contoversial, like doctrine or practice of a religion. I doubt if anyone not interested in Contemporary Christian music will even reply. I've been wrong plenty of times though Laughing

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 5:19 am    

I agree wholeheartedly Rick, and this isn't a discussion of religion or religious beliefs. There are some here that think if you are not playing old hymns that were written 200 years ago, it isn't music. There are also those here that think if you don't play old country music, it's not music. These guys have little respect for others that have different views on music than they do. These are also the guys that complain that steel guitar enthusiasm is dying out. They love to diss Robert Randolph, and jazz steel players, just human nature I suppose.

I would much rather play Contemporary Christian, Jazz, or Pop music than I would Country, but to each his own.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 5:33 am    

Brian,

I've been playing in a contemporary praise band every Sunday for the last 3-1/2 years. Over that time, the instrumentation has changed. Currently, it's two guitars (one electric, the other acoustic). Occasionally, the acoustic guitarist plays electric bass. Also, we sometimes have a piano player. NO DRUMS (which really keeps the performance volume at a level that encourages the congregation to feel the spirit and join the band in musical praise) Very Happy

When I first started playing with the band, I was a little apprehensive about what I should play. Historically, I've played PSG in various genres, including R&B and reggae. For all of those genres I would play in the style of the music. In other words, I didn't try to force a 'C&W' style of playing into the music. So, when it came time to play with the contemporary praise band, I didn't try to force a style of play that belongs to a different genre. I just listen/listened to the way the music is arranged and I try to play in the same way.

In the the praise band I play in, my role is primarily as a lead instrument, so I handle all the intro's, fills, solos, etc. Although, I will help with the rhythm, too. Most importantly, I try to play as an ensemble player and only play in a way that my contribution to the song will enhance the music. I think this approach is key to playing in any band. Also, I don't use any outboard effects. Just my steel into the volume pedal, into the amp with just a little of the amp's reverb.

Brian, just remember, the PSG, whether you have an E9th tuning, a C6th tuning, or another tuning is a full range instrument capable of many voicings. Be comfortable and play in the voice of the song. Your confidence will likely grow quickly.

One last bit of advice: Don't worry too much about how your playing will work out. Just trust in the Lord.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 6:14 am    

Glenn, I'm in one of those churches were low volume is also a decided requirement, but always wondered if that could be "managed" by using electronic drums where volume with that could also be controlled?

I could manage without it but having been in country rock bands in the past, just would feel something missing.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 6:42 am    

The group I played in used Aviom 16 channel personal mixers and in-ears, or headphones. We also had ambience mics to mix in the ambient sound so we didn't feel isolated. The musicians could have the mix as loud or as soft as they wanted it. I and the bass didn't use amps at all, and the guitar amps were isolated off stage.

I did have an advantage, my son was the FOH engineer and did a great job of mixing. He was raised listening to steel guitar and knew how it should sound. Due to personnel changes, and creative conflicts a couple of years ago, I no longer play in the band and he no longer runs sound. Sometimes you just have to move on.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 6:53 am    

Creative conflicts? Yeah, been there, done that, except I called it egotism.

It's a shame that many a good band broke up because of "creative conflicts", but sometimes making good music doesn't seem to be enough to hold everything together.

I just want to play, I don't want to be the boss or tell other people how to play their instrument. As long as you keep the volume down (and don't screw-up too much), I don't care.

Is that too much to ask these days?

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 8:46 am    

I play in a praise band that performs is in a combined service , ie. mix of contemporary and traditional music. The contemporary songs are at the beginning of the service and the last song of the service...traditional hymns fill in the remainder of the service.

I play regular guitar and steel guitar. When playing steel guitar, many times I don't play on the verses, but come in on the chorus. It's a very satisfying challenge. By the way...I'm 71.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 10:54 am    

DG Whitley wrote:
Glenn, I'm in one of those churches were low volume is also a decided requirement, but always wondered if that could be "managed" by using electronic drums where volume with that could also be controlled?

I could manage without it but having been in country rock bands in the past, just would feel something missing.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

DG, I can't think of reason why electronic drums can't be used instead of regular drums. However, it's very easy to sonically program and amplify electronic drums to a point where they're more intrusive than acoustic drums.

When I first started with them, the praise band I play in had a high school student on drums. However, the young man left for collegiate study and we haven't had a drummer since. Frankly, I don't miss the drums, and because the dynamics aren't set by a snare, cymbal or bass drum, it actually allows me more freedom to be expressive with the music.

The band has talked about finding another drummer and possibly having the church buy a set of electronic drums. Whenever that topic arrises, I try to discourage the e-drum idea. Also, I've encouraged that if another drummer were interested in auditioning, he/she must be willing to play at a low volume - with only a snare, hi-hat and use brushes. I know this seems a bit austere for a contemporary praise band, but I feel that's what would work best for us, given our church's sanctuary (a small, 150 year-old, country church which seats about 120 people).

Many contemporary praise bands with a miked drum kit or e-drums play in modern auditorium-like sanctuaries, to predominately young congregants. Mostly, those parishioners want the band to be as loud as secular band performances, and with a powerful drum sound. I feel that, although the praise band I play in does much of the same songs as the hi-powered bands, the low volume, drum-less performance makes for a much more spiritual experience for our parishioners. That's what matters most, don't you think? Smile

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 12:09 pm    

Arrow

Last edited by chris ivey on 21 Apr 2015 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 1:17 pm    

I play in a non denomination church that loves the steel guitar. They cant seem to get enough of it. Anyway, when trying not to do country sounds I often play single note lines and big wide grip chords and do lots of harmonics and chromatic string work. Avoiding the honky tonk 2 note thing, except maybe the closer thirds. A good reference point for this style is John Rouhouse. Sp? Steel player for Niko Case. Also have a good overdrive ready for some nice fat lap steel type sounds. Those wide grip chords really sound huge especial with a good reverb or delay. Its all in your head and hands. I like Rick have to go from this style, more modern and ambient to old school opry to hard lap to hawaiian and reggae. Oh, I also keep a dobro and an acoustic slide at the ready. The song will call out to me a lot of times. They kind of let me choose. Sometimes I get request for specific thing. Its a lot of fun the challenge of finding the right part/style/instrumentation/tuning. Its a lot of work, but very interesting. Versatility is the key. At least that is my experience.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 1:41 pm    

I've posted links in the past to several songs our band and singers did, and here's another one. This was recorded live directly off the board during a service. Some will like it, some won't.

https://app.box.com/shared/8q4fcpqap4

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 3:30 pm    

Instead of an actual dobro in my kit, I play a D-10 tuned E9 and G6, and use an EQ pedal to fudge the dobro sound. That pedal, palm muting to reduce the sustain and bar movement/phrasing does a pretty good job.

Attention to chord grips and phrasing helps with the fake organ parts, too. Well, that and a pedal...

Greg Vice

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 7:05 pm    

I posted last year about getting more people interested in steel, that many only think that steel is country only. I was asked to sing with a group of old rockers that do 60's 70s' rock with songs changed to Christian lyrics. Was told my steels weren't welcome, that they didn't want country sound. Well things change. I do amazing grace to the tune of house of the rising sun the steel really fits song , crossroads on lap really rocks, I like all music and don't try to limit your taste. I got my grandson turned on to junior Brown and got him started on my old rick.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2015 6:14 pm    

I'v done it a lot, if you play licks it won't work. Just play pads with nice cord inversions.. Go to https://nashvilleprosteel.com and check out Russ Pahl… What he describes is what guitar players are doing in that kind of music.. You can see there intro video without paying but I recommend you pay the fee and see whats going on in Nashville… My son Jeremy and I have both ordered guitars like Russ plays… I'm 62 but it's never too late to expand your playing… You don't have to abandon what you know and love to learn the new… As a bonus you can see videos by Mike Daly, Gary Morse, Mike Johnson, Randle Currie and Steve Hinson… All good stuff..

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2015 6:10 am    

I would say as someone who has played a lot of CCM and modern P&W music that you should stay away from stuff that's too harmonically complex. Stick to Major, Minor, and sus chords. Lots of ambient delay or reverb. You're creating an atmosphere or bed for the vocals to set in not playing licks and such.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2015 10:07 pm     CCC Music

I play in church exclusively. It's contemporary for the most part, but we interject some of the older hymns with new twists in the arrangment.

For the most part, I try to keep it country as much as I can. I try to blend as much as possible and throw in as many John Hughey licks as I can muster! We do a fair share of slower praise and worship songs, so the crying steel guitar sounds work well. For violin-type things, I'll ride the 3rd string up and down the neck in the higher registers. I also use the Boss GE-7 for dobro simulation, Boss ME-20 for leslie sounds, and Boss BD-2 for overdriven/distorted stuff.

It seems to work well and people enjoy it.

Don

Last edited by Don Mogle on 19 Apr 2015 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2015 6:51 pm    

Darvin Willhoite wrote:
I've posted links in the past to several songs our band and singers did, and here's another one. This was recorded live directly off the board during a service. Some will like it, some won't.

https://app.box.com/shared/8q4fcpqap4

This whole track is too busy, especially the drummer. And I can't understand the lyrics very well, but that's probably just me. (when I was a kid, I thought we were singing about a bear. You know, "Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear?")

There's a chain of "Mega-Churches" around here--The church supplies the instruments--More Mesa-Boogie stacks and PRS guitars than Miranda Lambert. And I'm seeing a lot of rockers playing in those bands-Where do these songs fall? In Praise, or as entertainment? Bach wrote everything in praise of God. And it's too hard to listen to, to be entertaining. Not dissing Bach at all. But to refer to his music as "entertainment," is an insult.
Now, Darvin, when you say "Due to personnel changes, and creative conflicts," it sounds like you got a new preacher who didn't care for the stuff you were playing. And you, and the sound guy, left?

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2015 3:56 am    

Same preacher, different music director. He didn't have much use for us white haired guys, even though he was in his mid 40s, so we white haired guys left.

The track is busy, but it fits the style of the song. They can't all sound the same. Here's one that may fit your taste better.

https://app.box.com/shared/poz838x30v

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2015 9:13 am    

Question

Last edited by chris ivey on 21 Apr 2015 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2015 2:35 am    

chris ivey wrote:
drums can be played loud or soft. if they're too loud it's because the government just gave me new batteries for my hearing aids and an enema at the same time. Honestly, I thought I was supposed to drink it. Maybe I can borrow a clean shirt from Steve Gambrell, since he's so much nicer than me. Does my breath stink?

Whoa! Whoa! Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked