The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB transposes everything to key of F
John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 8:17 pm    

I am writing chord charts, and have done about 70 or 80 so far.

The trouble is that BIAB transposes all of them to the key of F, even though they have been written in other keys, namely Bb, Eb, Ab, C - in particular.

Everything works OK at the time of writing and playback, but when the song file is reopened it is invariably in the key of F.

Most strange, and bloody well annoying because if I then re-transpose to the desired key, it's OK at the time, but upon reopening good old F appears yet again.

I'm using BIAB Version 8, so I wonder if this is the reason (it's TOO old), or have I overlooked something? The default settings, when a new file is created are: F, 120 b.p.m., 32 bars, and loop.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2015 9:57 am    

When you transpose the song, a box should come up that ask's if it's ok to transpose worksheet. Check yes, then shift click on the Save As button, and save the song in your folder. The next time you open the song, it should be in the key you transposed to.

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2015 8:54 pm    

Thanks for the input Norman - unfortunately this does not work though. As I wrote in my reply (below) to George, I suppose I will have to buy a newer version.

Rgs,

John

*************************************************************************************

Here's what George Wixon wrote in an email response:-

He wrote:

Hi John,
Never seen this before but one thing to check is to click on "Opt" then on "Preferences" and then click on the "Transpose" tab.
You should see a scrollable box that says something like "Each time a song is loaded" and that box should be set as "No Transpose" and the next box after the words "To the key of" should have a "C".
The "No Transpose" pretty much makes sure that when the song gets loaded up that BIAB keeps it in the key that it was in and dosen't try to transpose it to a different key.
Hope this helps.
George

I thanked him and wrote back:

Hi George,

Thanks for you help. It appears that I do not have a ''transpose'' tab with a ''no transpose'' option in that part of the menu - probably because I have and old Version 8 I suspect.

I'll see if there is a transpose option (as you describe) somewhere else, otherwise I guess I'll have to shell out the $$ for the latest version.

Rgs,

John

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2015 9:07 pm    

I seem to have stumbled on to the answer just now Norman. I decided to look at ''Thru'' transpose settings in desperation - because I have no idea what ''Thru'' is all about - and voila' - it saved.

This is what throws me about software - someone decides that one thing or another should be put ''somewhere else'' - because it's an improvement.

Rgs

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 4:40 am    

John:

I also still use version 8 of BIAB and I also for sure have a Transpose tab when I click on Opt. then Preferences.

Screenshots from ver. 8

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 6:03 pm    

Thanks for the screen shots Graham.

Interestingly enough though, when I hit Options/Preferences there is no tab for ''Transpose'', but the box, which comes up, is about a half of the size of the one in the screen shot, and, with about a half of the choices.

Further to this, I have to go Options/Thru Transpose Settings to get to a box similar to your 2nd screen shot which has only 4 choices of setting (those from ''Transpose by'' to ''Do It Now'') - I can only guess where the rest of the settings choices might be.

I looked at the box again too, and it certainly says ""Version 8'' on the outside and on the disc. It comes with another CD called ''Band-In-A-Box 9 MEGAPAK'' - maybe if I load this up I'll get new menus?

Chrs,

JK

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2015 5:01 am    

IF the version 9 is the full BIAB program, you would likely then get all the current menus. There were 3 build patches to version 8 - Build 255, 256 & 257.

I have all 3 installed as they came out which could account for the differences in our programs. I don't have a Thru/Transpose in my program anywhere.