The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  8 string C6
Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 5:52 am    

Anyone here use 8string C6 for everything?
GECAGECA from the top.

Paul Miles

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 6:14 am     C6th

Hi again Ken. Yes use it a lot. Here I am knocking out a version of Apache using C6th - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgyvrjEWr5Y

Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 7:24 am    

Definitely my main tuning. Love that major triad up top. Will switch to a Don Helms-style E13 when we play Hank tunes and similar. Huge timbre difference even at same pitches.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 7:37 am    

Yes, that's my go-to 8-string tuning, C6 with high G. It's very versatile, especially if you use bar slants.

Paul, nice job on Apache! You're getting a nice, rich tone from your lap steel.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 8:00 am    

I personally hate the high G, but I love bass notes, so I extend on the bottom.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 8:00 am    

A6 is my main tuning but as you are using C6 with a G on top, this is exacty the same as your tuning but everything 3 semitones lower.

It's my main tuning for most of the Hank stuff too.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 12:54 pm    

Top is the same, but I have a Bb G for strings 7 & 8:
G E C A G E Bb G (from the top). I learned this C6 (actually a C13) from Henry Allen and Bobby Ingano. I get nice, jazzy chords. For "Adventures in Paradise" I tune 7 & 8 to C# A. I've been relearning some of my B11 based songs (Mapuana, Hana, How'd Ya Do) on this tuning. For "Sand", I move the middle G to F#. I do miss the low B. I suppose I could restring the 8th string to get it down to low C. The experiment goes on.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 1:23 pm    

Great playing on apache, Paul! Early 60s instrumental & surf tunes sound so great on steel.

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 4:23 pm     Re: C6th

Paul Miles wrote:
Hi again Ken. Yes use it a lot. Here I am knocking out a version of Apache using C6th - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgyvrjEWr5Y

Love it!

Paul Miles

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 12:34 am     C6th

Thanks Doug - couldn't have done it without you !

Don McGregor

Memphis, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 4:06 am    

I use only C6 high G on a single 8 steel I built for myself, and on the double 8 I recently built for myself, I use that tuning on the near neck, and A6 on the outer. They are both the same tuning only in different keys. It's like having a capo for a guitar, allowing me options in where on the neck I might want to play my parts. The slant possibilities that are added with a high G are particularly useful to me.
I also use a lot of open notes in runs and licks, and I can choose the tuning for each song that allows me to make the best use of these.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 5:46 am    

After years of playing C6 or C13 with E on top I recently changed to high G on top. I am not crazy about the timbre of the high G string, but it is satisfactory on both my steels (Sierra and Allison). And when gigging it cuts through the mud nicely. On some steels, Fender and Supro for instance, I found the timbre of the high G intolerable.

Just because the high G is there you don't have to use it all the time. For example, if you prefer the timbre on the E string for a particular note, use that string. I am playing a lot of jazz standards theses days and the high G has made many of the tunes much easier to play. In fact, many would be nearly impossible at full tempo without the high G.

My 8th string default pitch is B flat, but I sometimes raise it to B (for a major 7th) or less frequently lower it to A.

Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 5:50 am    

I use 8-string C6 with high G for everything - but on a Fender 400 pedal steel, with 4 pedals 3 of which are similar to what ABC do on an E9 PSG, and the 4th gives me diminished chords; could totally live without the pedals for most of the Western Swing stuff I play, but for the more country rock-ish or singer-songwriter-stuff I occasionally accompany, the are useful.
The 5th on the top string is a must for Western Swing, I don't miss any loser strings, heck, I'm already getting dirty looks from the bass player if I stay on the low A string for more than two notes in a row... Wink

Last edited by Roman Sonnleitner on 9 Apr 2015 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 6:39 am    

Quote:
...many would be nearly impossible at full tempo without the high G.

Yes, I agree. I often wonder why Jerry Byrd did not use high G, and instead opted to play so many difficult and fast reverse slants on strings 1 & 2 to get the high 3rds. Well, he was Jerry Byrd after all... not a mere mortal like the rest of us! Winking A good example of this is "Hula Lady". When I got Jerry's handwritten tablature of this tune from Scotty I was shocked to see that Jerry had played a series of reverse slants on strings 1 & 2 to play the melody. With high G that melody is much easier to play, no reverse slants. I can only assume that Jerry didn't like the tone of high G.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 9 Apr 2015 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Keith Cary

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 7:16 am     C6 for ... well, for most

If I had only one tuning it would definitely be C6 with the G on top. I do get the criticism that on some steels it can be a bit like a nail through the ear but I couldn't play without it. It's easy enough to play up a m3 when the tone is critical. I play in a band that plays a lot of raggy progressions so I usually tune the two bass strings to Bb and C#. Lots of jazz chords there. I tune them back when I need to. Doesn't seem to mess with my head.

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 1:54 pm    

Keeping in mind that I'm a rookie steel player at best (been at it for just over a year), I'm just starting on C6 high G on an 8 string.

I like that most of my dobro licks are transferable and that I have access to the 6 and minor chords. I'm at an "advanced beginner" level of proficiency for comping and doing a bit of soloing with a repertoire of 20 tunes or so after having the C6 8 string for just a couple of weeks. I could see myself playing almost everything I need to (at the point) on the 8 string with this tuning.

I'm kind of muddling through some "self figured out" exercises based on how I'm learning pedal steel, so if anyone has some good leads on tutorial material specific to C6 8 string, I'm all ears!

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2015 11:28 am     About Jerry's choice of C6th WITHOUT "G" on top

I'm of the opinion that JERRY BYRD chose to use C6th with an "E" on top rather than 'G'..... because...

He started his career using a six string Rickenbacher Bakelite with "E" on top as that
"E" on top was the standard for most of the original steel players. Even for those using "A" tuning or "E" tuning, "E" on top was the way to go.

Ultimately, he selected the seven string Richenbacher and began tuning E C A G E C# C. As he said many time that gave him all of the options he needed for his style of playing.

His lifetime of recording beautiful music pretty well convinces me that his decision was both appropriate and worth the effort to learn all of what many of you today describe as difficult slants.

If one digs into that tuning, you'll find his comments to be quite accurate. That's my primary choice (non-pedal).