The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The curious case of the vanishing steel parts
Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 1:57 pm    

I have encountered a really frustrating problem with recording steel parts. I have just been sent an MP3 demo of a song as preparation for recording pedal steel on a final version. I’ve listened to the song a few times now to get familiar with it. In fact, I’ve listened to it so much it’s playing in my head half the time. And therein lies the problem.

When I hear the song in my head away from the steel, I can think of some pretty good fills and lines to play, but as soon as I sit down at the steel, they vanish. Either I can’t remember them or as soon as I try to work them out I forget them. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have a remedy?

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 2:06 pm    

This is a good thing....you are building parts from your imagination rather than licks and randomness.

How did Mozart and all the great composers do it...producing the scores for every instrument in an orchestral work...?

They transcribed the music in their head straight onto paper.

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 7 Apr 2015 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 2:08 pm    

As they come to you, don't just hear them, SING THEM. Preferably aloud. Preferably repeatedly.
The more of the brain that gets in on the act, the more firmly persistent the memory.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 2:42 pm    

I think most would agree that thinking about something is a lot easier than doing it! When you're not playing, you're listening to the music and just thinking about what you might play. But when it comes time to actually play, your brain gets tied up with all of the physical stuff you've got to do. So, you're concentrating not only on the music, but also on what you're doing, along with how whatever you're doing sounds. It's a lot more complicated.

This is all part of the normal learning process, and it will get easier (with repetition) as you progress. In the meantime, start simple. First, just play the chords behind the melody. Do this until you don't have to think about where you're going next, you just automatically go there. Next, add a few fill-in notes that are on the same fret as the chords. Then, add some simple A&B pedal moves at those same frets. After all this is ingrained, then you can try adding those fills.

Remember that smooth and flowing playing comes only when you're not thinking about every single thing that's going on. Cool

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 2:51 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
As they come to you, don't just hear them, SING THEM.

...into a personal recording device, such as your iPhone or...

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 3:10 pm    

Famous quote from (I think) Johnny Gimble... if you can hum it, you can play it.

Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 4:30 pm    

Chris,
Rick has the solution. Buddy Charleton told me he would hum and sing a tune he had in his head over and over, until he could get to a cassette recorder. Then he would capture the tune so he wouldn't forget it.

Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 5:20 pm    

Yes Craig. Especially these days, with small, cheap digital recording devices easily available.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 5:30 pm    

And, since most of us have smartphones, there's a recorder in our pockets.
If you can't find, can't figure out, or don't have a sound capturing app, you can certainly shoot a video, and it doesn't matter what the pictures is, the sound is the main thing.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2015 6:07 pm     Something to consider...............

When 'we' want to copy some famous lick by some famous steel guitarist.......we first have to remember the song and then sit down so we can then learn to play that memorized lick in the proper place.

In the studio, you not only have to recall the phrase you just memorized but now, you have to produce that 'item' you just set to memory.

I think one is merely compounding their problems by doing this. JERRY BYRD told me, they merely skimmed thro' each new song just once, in order to get an idea what's coming down the pike. They then set about recording the song...just one take.

They felt it was much more 'live' and 'natural' to do it that way rather than sounding like a memorized number.

I believe one should let each song dictate the possibilities for fills and solo's. You can eliminate a lot of problems by NOT attempting to play somebody else's "personal" thoughts and emotions.

Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 2:59 am     Re: Something to consider...............

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the “singing it” method this morning and it worked! I have used this method before as well as recording it, but I always had trouble specifically with steel parts which I could hear harmonised in my head, but couldn't vocalise. I may have to live with that.

The main issue, as several have suggested, is increasing fluidity so that translating between imagination and steel becomes second nature. Requires a lot more seat time I suspect.

Ray Montee wrote:
I believe one should let each song dictate the possibilities for fills and solo's. You can eliminate a lot of problems by NOT attempting to play somebody else's "personal" thoughts and emotions.

I agree, which is why I am not trying to copy someone else but simply get from the sounds I imagine to actual sounds on the steel.

I’m not good enough to be able to hear a song through and then play the fills and solos 'live' on the second run through. I have done this, but invariably when I hear what I have done a couple of days later, I can think of a better fill or solo. But that’s another (interesting?) topic: are improvised parts better than parts composed in advance?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 3:51 am    

Sometimes.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 5:13 am    

Teach Your Children.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 9:14 am     Re: Something to consider...............

Chris Tweed wrote:
Are improvised parts better than parts composed in advance?

I was taught that for something to sound truly spontaneous it had to be very carefully rehearsed.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 11:34 am    

Improvised or imagined parts?

On any given song or day it may be a tossup. Over a career... using tbe imagination is more developmental.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 12:02 pm    

I'll listen to the demo several times. If a part suggests itself, I'll try to learn it before it disappears.
Usually, that DOESN'T happen to me, and I'll improvise a different line each time that place goes by. If engineer/producer/artist lights up over one, I'll try to learn what I just played and play it again.
The session cats amaze me by improvising stuff that doesn't sound cookie cutter, and do it hour after hour.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 3:39 pm     Re: Something to consider...............

Ian Rae wrote:
I was taught that for something to sound truly spontaneous it had to be very carefully rehearsed.
I don't know about that, I get suspicious whenever it gets close to what one was taught.
Paradoxes can be used to confuse; I don't see how spontaneity can be rehearsed.

Lane Gray wrote:
The session cats amaze me by improvising stuff that doesn't sound cookie cutter, and do it hour after hour.
I know it. Amazing.

Donny Hinson wrote:
Remember that smooth and flowing playing comes only when you're not thinking about every single thing that's going on.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 5:13 pm    

I have a recording app on my cell phone.
They don't get away from me too often

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2015 6:38 pm    

Buddy E. would sometimes say with a smile, "there's another crease in the cerebellum". I believe that area in the brain changes by practicing, Not only by physical practice, but also by mental practice.
Here is an article about that http://www.bettermovement.org/2010/moving-better-by-just-thinking-about-it/.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 6:48 am    

I've always believed in mental practice, so that when you're at the instrument you can turn your attention to the physical.

I mean any instrument, but the pedal steel is so very mental (nothing much to see - ask the audience) that it's an ideal candidate.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 10:27 am    

From the classical era up through the Renaissance, they used to really work at "the art of memory" according to mnemonic principles and techniques. Students were expected to memorize or recall the information from lectures, in part because paper and books were expensive to produce, but there was a greater point to it,also. Benefits were provided through organizing memory impressions and improvement of recall, but the art of memory was also felt to promote the development and generation of ideas and creativity. Advanced students could build a large set of rooms or vast library, a museum in their mind and fill it up with information like we fill our homes with so much junk from wal-mart. Ideally, the practitioner could retrieve the most esoteric of information learned years prior as easily as opening a drawer and picking out a screwdriver.

This practice could be traced to Aristotle teaching that we don't comprehend ideas and concepts without associated mental images to mark their impression. If you do that, it's all right there. Frances Yates wrote a pretty interesting book on these methods and their development called... "The Art of Memory".

I use a little Olympus digital recorder.Mr. Green

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 11:12 am    

Quote:
are improvised parts better than parts composed in advance?

Given that just about any definition of "improvisation" is going to call it something along the lines of "spontaneous composition" this is a fluctuating dividing line - the improvisor is composing in advance, only, maybe only in milliseconds and in response to what may have even been an initial "error" or starting on the wrong fret, etc. The correct answer to this is highly dependent on what they want - how sparse is the demo? Is it supposed to BE a "steel guitar tune", in which case a bit of evolved voice-leading (and a bit of composer credit) may be due? I hope they can tell you what the steel is there for, at least. Songs in which the music is somewhat contradictory to the mood of the lyrics can strengthen the feel of both the music and lyrics, but I'd get permission first before going all-in. Laughing

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 11:23 am    

Interesting history Daniel

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 11:35 am    

Good article, Chris T.

The book The User Illusion by Tor Nortranders explores the 'thermodynamics of thinking,'
the nuts and bolts about what makes this brain stuff like plasticity work.

Chris Tweed

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2015 11:40 am    

This may be what I need to follow to build up the creases in the cerebellum:

http://arbanmethod.com/wyntons-twelve-ways-to-practice/

I will never be a Mozart (or even a Beethoven, who never got to hear his final compositions because of his deafness), with the ability to transcribe directly from thought process to page. However, it seems that the more deeply internalised the connections between imagination, body, steel and sounds the smoother the journey from imagined melodies to actual sounds should become.

Unless …
"imaginary guitar notes and imaginary vocals exist only in the imagination of the imaginer" from Watermelon In Easter Hay by Frank Zappa.