The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Used Emmons guitars
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2015 9:17 pm    

On the other hand, there seems to be a quixotic movement afoot to wantonly alter and mutilate vintage push-pulls:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=282530

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2015 11:38 pm    

I don't think steel guitar prices will go anywhere but down, in the next 10-15 years there will be nobody left to play them... JMHO

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 2:16 am    

You're in a better position to know, Damir, but if supply falls off with demand, inflation will drive prices up.
I hope demand doesn't go down. Let's demand more steel in country music!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 2:30 am    

We're seeing a growth in the numbers of youngsters in the UK who are taking up playing steel guitar. Still tiny numbers admittedly, but it is a reassuring trend.

I think that push pulls may well hold their value with a small bit of appreciation due to their unique and legendary tonal qualities. They are never going to get into the price realms of the Franklin guitars, which were built in such small numbers that they have the 'exclusive' factor. However, a good push pull that has been well set up sounds as good as anything ever built if not better.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Ray Uhl

Riverside, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 2:27 pm     Emmons guitars

My personal opinion favors PP. Listen to the name Texas players. Lots of old PP sounds. How about the Promat guitars. Don't know too much about them, but know that being made in Europe and are very expensive; BUT, PP's are still available.

What I don't understand is if the original patents have expired for the design why doesn't someone build them again. I know there are specifics that make their sound, BUT it could be done if the demand is that great, IMHO.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 8:15 pm    

Ray, right now Promats are priced about the same as other new steels, they use to be more expensive because Euro was 1.80 dollars, right now Euro is almost equal to a dollar, and of course there is a shipping from Europe to US that buyer here has to pay...

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2015 10:30 pm    

Here in the US, there are probably enough push-pulls to fuel demand without pumping new ones into the market. They were built to last, and they do. But many players shy away from their tricky mechanism (myself included). The number of people who prefer Emmons p/p guitars over modern all-pull models is not growing.

Ergonomically, I find Emmons instruments hard to play. They sound great, but as a short person I really have to work to get my music out of them. I do better on more compact designs. Bottom line - I'm not a part of the Emmons market.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 1:13 am    

Nice to think "POSITIVE" Ollie Smile

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 1:25 am    

Bob, I was loaned one many years ago...just a single neck while I was waiting for a ZB to arrive from the States. Like yourself, I found it hard to play. Admittedly I hadn't been playing too long...this was about mid 70's before I'd ever heard of universal guitars at that time. The pedals seemed stiff, and once on a German tour I "tried" to make some adjustments before a gig. Never again!! even if I had a P/P now. Springs were flying off from God knows where. Lucky we had only a few days left before our return to U.K. where my ZB (now sold) was waiting for me at the shop....at 3am in the morning Very Happy .. Now just happy with my two Universals..a Sho-Bud and a Carter.

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 2:34 am    

There are many things that I love about my push pull.

1. Pedal action. Smooth with just the right amount of resistance. Certainly not notchy.

2. Ability to stay in tune. Once tuned it stays there, even in varying room temperatures.

3. Tone. 'Nuff said.

4. Classic, charismatic looks. Nothing has the presence on stage like an Emmons push pull. You know it means business.

5. Minimal cabinet flex. Less than almost all of the all-pull guitars that I own.

The Emmons push pull has been subject to much hype over the years - both negative and positive. A properly set up push pull is a pleasure to play, period. Some people who diss this great guitar have never even played one. OK, it does have some downsides when compared to the modern all pulls, but it still has that X factor that makes it a legend among pedal steel guitars.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 5:13 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
There are many things that I love about my push pull.

1. Pedal action. Smooth with just the right amount of resistance. Certainly not notchy.

2. Ability to stay in tune. Once tuned it stays there, even in varying room temperatures.

3. Tone. 'Nuff said.

4. Classic, charismatic looks. Nothing has the presence on stage like an Emmons push pull. You know it means business.

5. Minimal cabinet flex. Less than almost all of the all-pull guitars that I own.

The Emmons push pull has been subject to much hype over the years - both negative and positive. A properly set up push pull is a pleasure to play, period. Some people who diss this great guitar have never even played one. OK, it does have some downsides when compared to the modern all pulls, but it still has that X factor that makes it a legend among pedal steel guitars.

Yes sir! Smile

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 6:01 am     Not clever enough

I played an Emmons a number of times decades ago. It belonged to a Norwegian friend who still has it and came to two conclusions about the Emmons Push-pull:

1. I was not clever enough to work on one and could not rely on anyone tweaking it for me as I've worked overseas.

2. Life is too short and I'd rather be playing the steel than be looking at the underside while scratching my head.

Oh yes, my friend's Emmons was black. He had purchased it at the Sho-Bud shop on Denmark Street in London. stevet

steve takacs

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 6:03 am     Not clever enough

sorry, double post.... steve t

Last edited by steve takacs on 14 Apr 2015 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 7:02 am    

If you can't handle an Emmons p/p, there's always the harmonica. Rolling Eyes

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 7:18 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
If you can't handle an Emmons p/p, there's always the harmonica. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, but they're even harder to keep in tune.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 7:20 am    

So, I guess we're down to a piece of tissue paper and a comb. Whoa!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 7:24 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Ken Byng on 14 Apr 2015 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 7:26 am    

Ken,
I think he meant trying to keep a harmonica in tune. Very Happy

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 7:58 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Ken Byng on 14 Apr 2015 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 10:17 am    

i thought he meant that harmonicas are always out of tune, no matter what.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 10:51 am    

If a PP can't be kept in tune, the guitar doesn't have an intonation problem, the guitarist does.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 10:53 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
If a PP can't be kept in tune, the guitar doesn't have an intonation problem, the guitarist does.

Hear hear!!

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 11:51 am    

I just meant that harmonicas are a pain to tune if you have to do it, much more than turning a screw on an endplate.

Keeping a push pull in tune isn't tough compared to all pulls, I actually find mine to be more stable, and I think the positive stops at the changer have a lot to do with it. Playing in tune is tough though. You may think you play in tune - but are you as in tune as say, Mike Johnson? The answer to that is probably no.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2015 12:03 pm    

All of the top pro's have one thing in common - great intonation. Mike Johnson gets a wonderful tone from his push pulls. I have just bought another black push pull. Couldn't resist it. Laughing

steve takacs

Post  Posted 16 Apr 2015 6:28 am     Tone

I feel what Ken Byng says about Mike Johnson getting great tone out of his Emmons is true.

Lane Gray brought up this Buddy Emmons quote in another post (Question About Franklin Guitars) in the PEDAL STEEL section:

I also think that's why Buddy says that when he listens to records featuring The Blade, his Carter and his MCI "there's not a dime's worth of difference."

If you have the chance listen to Buddy's Christmas CD please take a guess at which steel he used on that recording.

Herby Wallace also played a Mullen for years; Lloyd Green a Sho-Bud; Tom Brumley a ZB, etc. Those guys could also put out some decent tone vibes. Those steels may not have had the "Emmons X factor" but surely they must have had Z, Q, or Y factors.

It will be most interesting to look back 10 years from now and see what steels the younger players will be using.