The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Dual 6 just arrived with a dead neck
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 7:50 am    

Hi everyone, I need the advice and expertise of the forum. I purchased a Fender Dual 6 from a member on the SGF classifieds. The seller described the guitar and its electronics as in “great” working order. Unfortunately, that was not the case when I plugged it in yesterday after UPS dropped it off.

The outside neck doesn’t work at all in either the second or third switch position. The inside neck works as it should in the first and second switch positions. Additionally the volume knob doesn’t seem to work properly. At the zero position the volume is slightly lower than wide open and has noticeable treble loss (operates more like a weak tone control). The tone control seems to do most of its work very near the low end of the scale. From about 3 to 10 it’s not noticeable. Maybe that’s normal…

Just for full context, the guitar has been refinished, legs are not original and case (if it’s original) is missing its tweed. I feel I paid a more than fair price for it (including shipping).

I initially asked the seller for a refund through paypal dispute resolution. After a little back and forth, this morning the seller offered to refund $100 if I wanted to keep it and deal with it, or the full amount, but I pay for return shipping (about $80).

So, I’m not sure what to do here. Aside from just wanting something that works…

1) Any idea from what I’ve described what could cause one neck to not function at all? I opened up both cavities and don’t see anything obvious like a loose wire.

2) Could the pickups be dead? I’m thinking about the offer of $100 but not sure it’s enough for the time/trouble/repair and parts if needed, particularly if the original pickups are dead.

3) Any other thoughts? I hate to eat it on return shipping and I like the guitar. I just don’t want to get stuck in a situation where the $100 doesn’t cover the cost of getting it to work properly and I end up sinking a lot more money and time into it than it’s worth.As I said, I think I already paid more than a fair price.

Thanks

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 7:56 am    

Could be the switch.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 7:59 am    

Take the guitar to a local guitar shop or repairman and have them check the electronics, check the switch. It is likely a bad connection. Maybe something came loose during shipping. It's probably something minor. Any good electric guitar repairman or luthier can check the connections and test the pickups.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 8:51 am    

before you do anything. take a meter and check the pickup. if its good then your looking at something else in the chain.

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 11:55 am    

If you want a warranty buy a new one.

D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 12:16 pm    

Thanks guys. I was able to meter the pickups and they seem good so I took the seller's offer of a $100 refund to make things right and will deal with the wiring/switch/pots when I can. As for the warranty comment, it's great advice, though irrelevant to the situation.

Thx. Hopefully I'll be up and running soon.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 12:37 pm    

My D-6 had a non-functioning neck when I bought it too. In my case it turned out to be the crappy "squished wire" grounding system that Fender used.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 12:38 pm    

D. Scheindlin wrote:
Thanks guys. I was able to meter the pickups and they seem good so I took the seller's offer of a $100 refund to make things right and will deal with the wiring/switch/pots when I can. As for the warranty comment, it's great advice, though irrelevant to the situation.

Thx. Hopefully I'll be up and running soon.

You could replace every pot and switch in it for less than $50.

D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 12:47 pm    

Yep, that's what I plan to do. I'd love to find a wiring diagram for one of these dual sixers (this is a later one that looks like a dual stringmaster). I expect a dual neck stringmaster diagram would be the same. Any ideas?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 12:54 pm    

From here:

http://hawaiiansteel.com/instruments/diagrams.php

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 1:46 pm    

Having found the pickup to check out ok, I will be very surprised if this doesn't turn into a very simple fix. Look for broken or cold solder joints on the switch. Look for dirty/corroded contacts on the switch.......the switch....my stringmaster voodoo senses that it is the switch.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 1:59 pm     Re: Fender Dual 6 just arrived with a dead neck

D. Scheindlin wrote:
After a little back and forth, this morning the seller offered to refund $100 if I wanted to keep it and deal with it, or the full amount, but I pay for return shipping (about $80).

Really glad that it looks like it's going to work out for you but as far as making you pay return shipping to return it - that would be fair enough if you just decided you didn't like it, but as it was not as described or faulty, the shipping both ways would be down to the sender.

D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 2:10 pm    

I am absolutely inclined to agree with you on that Jeff. The seller, on the other hand, did not. I'm glad it's a road we didn't have to go down.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 6:19 pm    

Dustin Rhodes wrote:

If the pots and switch on that guitar are original, they could be worth quite a bit of money.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 5:36 am    

John Rosett wrote:
Dustin Rhodes wrote:

If the pots and switch on that guitar are original, they could be worth quite a bit of money.

I understand that but we weren't talking about parting it out. We were talking about repairing it. I mean I guess he could go out and try to find vintage correct OE Fender parts ($$$$$) but just to replace the pots and switches if they're needing replaced won't cost near the $100 he got back.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 5:42 am    

My point was that he shouldn't through out the old wiring and parts if he replaces them. Even if they're faulty, somebody wants them.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 5:52 am    

John Rosett wrote:
My point was that he shouldn't through out the old wiring and parts if he replaces them. Even if they're faulty, somebody wants them.

And sadly that is the case. One could have Leo's fingerprint on it.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 6:19 am    

Maybe even some of his DNA.

Tom Middleton

Austin, Texas, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 8:21 am    

If you are anywhere near Austin, take it to John Allison @ Allison Guitars. He and his son do an excellent job on Stringmasters. John builds his own Stringmaster style steels so he knows and loves the brand.

Neri Bazzani

Italy
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2015 8:56 pm    

Hello, my dual 8 had the same problem. Chek the switch, all ok. After the travel from the repairman to my house (1 hour) not works one more time. So, change the switch. All ok, after one day not works.... So, was the old paper who separes wire from chassis into the pick up, sometimes not properly isolate; was funny that was more evidently when put the case vertically