The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big E's Time With Roger Miller?
John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 8:33 am    

Frank Freniere, on another post regarding the Trip in the Country album, you mentioned that you had a number of the steel guitar parts tabbed out. I have been thus far unsuccessful finding these tabs. Could you provide a link to them?

Thanks Frank..

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 12:27 pm    

Hey John -

Unfortunately I can't directly link to the "Trip" tabs but if you go to the Search page (again) and use the following fields:

Search for Keyword: trip
Search for Author: frank freniere
Forum Section: Tablature
Search Previous: All Posts

it should bring up 22 different tabs on one page. I did them in the fall of 2010.

Let me know if I'm not being clear or you can't get thru to the tabs.

Regards,
FF

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 4:46 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Noticed on the Hee Haw show Buddy played the ShoBud C6 "non-pedal",,,, Wonder who the staff PSG player was at that time?

I am going to take a guess here and say Curly Chalker.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 4:46 am    

Frank, I did as you suggested and they all came up! Boy your really dug into this really great (and a favorite of mine) album. Thanks for putting these tabs together for us. You continue to provide a really great service to the steel guitar community which I very much appreciate.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 6:38 am    

🙂

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 12:02 pm    

Buddy was doing club dates in LA on steel. During the taping of Ronstadt's "Hand Sown Home Grown" album, Red Rhodes told me at one of the sessions that Buddy was filling in for him at the Palomino. This was early 1969.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 9:33 am    

Oh, what I would do for the chance to see Buddy live with the beautiful-in-every-way Linda Ronstadt. Their version of In My Reply gets me every time. To see and hear that live...chills

Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 5:24 pm    

I posted this personal experience years ago, but I'll repeat it since the Roger Miller connection has been discussed. Sometime in the late 90's, I went to Las Vegas to see Buddy with the Everly Brothers at the Orleans Hotel. After the gig, myself, my lady friend, and Buddy ended up sitting at the bar by ourselves and I chatted with Buddy for about 45 minutes. For some reason, he was in a chatty mood and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my entire life. Without trying to remember the exact quotes, the gist of his comments about working for Roger was that after all his financial obligations to "exes" and children and his Nashville bar bills, there was never any money left over. So one day Roger came along and offered him the job of playing bass and he jumped at the chance out of financial desperation. He also had many comments about how wonderful it was to work with Mancini and how kind the man was to bend over backwards to help a non-reading musician figure out his parts.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 4:12 pm    

Bakersfield Ca, 1968, the show featured Ray Price, Connie Smith and others. Connie brought Russ HIcks, who had to do some sub work with Price as their steel player was a no-show and was still in Vegas due to some "old problems." Hicks did his best but some songs were by-passed because the star steeler was AWOL. The story goes that full time jobs as steel player were not available due to "player's" history. The only full time job offered at the time was "Bass Player" whereby said player altered some life style and proved to be a dependable employee over the years, and returned a much changed player, not to mention all of the Land Mark recordings mentioned above. I was at that show.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2017 4:57 pm    

Gary Walker wrote:
Bakersfield Ca, 1968, the show featured Ray Price, Connie Smith and others. Connie brought Russ HIcks, who had to do some sub work with Price as their steel player was a no-show and was still in Vegas due to some "old problems." Hicks did his best but some songs were by-passed because the star steeler was AWOL. The story goes that full time jobs as steel player were not available due to "player's" history. The only full time job offered at the time was "Bass Player" whereby said player altered some life style and proved to be a dependable employee over the years, and returned a much changed player, not to mention all of the Land Mark recordings mentioned above. I was at that show.

Cool!I've heard Russ tell that story before...the"star steeler"confirmed it.

You saw history in the making,Gary!

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 5:19 pm    

I might add how disappointed I was that Buddy was a no-show that night in 1968. I had seen him in Fresno in 1962 when they debuted "Night Life."
Seeing Russ was a thrill as he did the steel part to Connie's "I'll Come Running" that Weldon had done on the recording, and Russ nailed it to a tee.