The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Drummers Throne?
Tom Whitworth

Ridgecrest, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 7:12 am    

Those big ole fat PorkPie drummers thrones look like you could sit on them forever without putting your legs to sleep. Has anyone used them successfully? For that matter does anyone have any feedback about any swiveling seat? Thanks, Tom W
OME 5 string,
LATEST ADD : Line 6 Helix

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 7:25 am    

I use a throne at home. It is a sturdy, solid higher end number. No back and no biker seat. Simple round. No pork pies.
It is a bit of a pain to transport so I leave it at home. For me, swivel is absolutely no problem. Simply not an issue.
I like it a lot.

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 7:30 am    

I'm thinking that the gas loaded shock absorber type would be a good touch as well.
OME 5 string,

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 7:39 am    

The next time that I find myself needing extra shock absorbtion, it will be time for some emergency steel lessons and a supply of Preparation H.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 7:48 am    

They're not for me, but if anyone is needing this with a backrest, maybe this will work...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/9608MB

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 7:49 am    

I'm happy to say that particular part of the anatomy isn't giving me trouble. Preparation H and I aren't familiar yet. Hope to keep it that way!
OME 5 string,

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 9:11 am    

I've used a drum throne (padded) since 1998, when I forgot my chair and borrowed one from a drummer in a swing band that was sharing a gig with the country band I was playing in. I liked it so much, and the fact that it fit in my effects suitcase with the pedal, picks, cords, etc., that I still use it. Since I double on keyboards. the fact that it swivels adds to its utility.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 9:25 am    

I have seen discusions about back rests but that seems to be more about leaning against it in between songs. I'm not so sure I would make use of that.
OME 5 string,

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 9:26 am    

I have a Tama drum throne. It has served me well for years on countless gigs, always comfortable from start to finish.

Tripod double braced legs are very sturdy. Seat is well padded, but firm. Easily adjusted to the proper height for sitting behind the steel guitar. The large wing nut can be tightened so the seat does not rotate. YMMV.

I take it apart to transport. Loosen two large wing-nuts, remove the seat, and collapse the frame. Sometimes it goes in a large wheeled duffel bag with with my pedal bar, legs and rods. A kind of poor-man's split-case/pack-seat combo. Laughing

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 9:33 am    

I've been looking at the Tama, Rock n Soc and the Pork Pie. The gas cylinder looks like one more way to keep the pressure off the top of the hamstrings. I can't tell if the extra thick padding on the Pork Pie's is above and beyond my needs - I do know that even padded bar stools kill me (I guess I should be careful what I am admitting to).
OME 5 string,

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 9:38 am    

Dan Robinson wrote:
I have a Tama drum throne. It has served me well for years on countless gigs, always comfortable from start to finish.

Tripod double braced legs are very sturdy. Seat is well padded, but firm. Easily adjusted to the proper height for sitting behind the steel guitar. The large wing nut can be tightened so the seat does not rotate. YMMV.

I take it apart to transport. Loosen two large wing-nuts, remove the seat, and collapse the frame. Sometimes it goes in a large wheeled duffel bag with with my pedal bar, legs and rods. A kind of poor-man's split-case/pack-seat combo. Laughing

Good thought Dan - I should consider something like that. Anything that helps lighten up the load. One extra trip is better than more back problems! I don't even want to think about adding up the total weight of my ShoBud, NV 400 and misc gear!
OME 5 string,

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 12:13 pm    

I have three of them and one with a back. The back serves no purpose other than a "rest" between songs. They are far more sturdy than a "pack-a-seat" and adjustable. Take off the seat, fold down the legs, throw it in a tote bag and your on your way!

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 1:59 pm    

Thanks everyone for your input. I have no more reservations about buying or using a drummers throne. As ususal the only thing left is to make a decision. I am really leaning toward the Pork Pie because it seems to the most effective padding. I have none of my own!
OME 5 string,

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 2:45 pm    

You know--it only just occurred to me to check it out. I thought you were just being colorful with the use of the word pork pie. I had no idea that is a brand name. Last time I was looking at drum gear in a catalog, I don't think this even existed.

Mine, btw, is Pearl. Was around $100 15 years ago and is going strong. I'd describe the padding as 'firm'. Solid but no spa treatment for the butt.

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 3:23 pm    

Yea! You see what I mean about "padding" ? I think if I get one of those they can just go ahead and bury me in it when the time comes Laughing
OME 5 string,

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 12:11 am    

I used a drummer’s “throne” for several years to play steel guitar; they are very comfortable—but very heavy and awkward to carry. Then a few years ago, someone on the SG Forum suggested the “All Terrain Seat” (also marketed as a “Stag Seat”) made by Quake Industries designed for bow-hunting.

The ATS chair was just what I was looking for—lightweight (6 pounds), easy to carry, adjustable-length legs (I'm tall), has a well-designed backrest, very comfortable seat, and is very sturdy (claimed to hold up to 500 pounds!). I like the backrest because it helps remind me not to sit upright and not lean forward—because that usually gives me a backache by the end of a gig.

It has a swivel seat which has never presented any problems to me while playing; actually it makes it easier to sit down at the steel or stand up from it without shifting the position of the chair. The cost is around US$90.

Several other players have asked me about the ATS chair, and the guitarist in our band bought one for rehearsals and loves it.

More information at:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/quake-the-stag-swivel-hunting-stool-with-back-rest-90000-9.html

If you Google “all terrain seat”, you will find a number of online sources, or you can go to Quake Industries at: http://www.quakeinc.com/Store-View.php?id=338 and search for a local dealer.

-Dave

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 12:52 am     My Stool

This is what i use folds flat and very comfy

Jimmy.

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 6:21 pm    

I was looking for a seat several months ago. I was looking at the pork pie, roc n soc and a few more.

There were several music stores in various towns I went to and sat on different thrones. The pork pie was one of those, however it didn't sit as comfortable as it looked like it should (to MY behind, anyway).

The Roc N Soc Nitro won when I sat down on it. The one I chose had the leg cutouts on either side of the seat, like a motorcycle seat and the Nitro has the air shock for just a touch of bounce when I sit down. The seat is a little wider on the roc n soc than on some of the other throne seats, which I thought the other seats were a little too small. I bought one with a backrest, which I'm glad I did, I use it all the time and it's very comfortable.

The downside of the Roc N Soc is that it is kind of bulky to carry with the backrest on it, but I wouldn't get one without the backrest. Also, you have to be a little careful with the three leg throne, it will tip a little easy, but if you are careful, you should....SHOULD be ok. hehe.

As far as comfort, I am 100% satisfied with the Roc N Soc Nitro. The seat swivels, which helps me maneuver the knee levers better (to me anyway).

All of this just my opinion, YMMV

** I would certainly recommend sitting on whatever you decide to buy, instead of just ordering one online without first trying one out **

mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2015 8:33 pm    

I have used drum thrones for years.... no problems. Every once in a while, I buy a pac-a-seat, cause I think that I should, then I sell it in a couple of months.... not adjustable enough for oddball stage conditions, and they are awkward to carry.

Tom Whitworth

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 6:47 am    

Thanks Mike and Kevin - I don't think I want to use the pac-a-seat for the same reason as Mike and I guess I will have to bite the bullet and drive the 2 hours plus to a couple stores down south and check out the two options I have narrowed this down to. If the ebay price is right I might just take the chance without the trip (fuel cost will probably be worth the risk). I will probably end up going with the rock-n-soc because I like the gas cylinder thing. I think I will be able to tell right off if the padding is right but only using it will tell the story.
OME 5 string,

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 7:47 am    

Three legged throne seats should be no problem tipping, if when you place the seat, you have one leg directly behind you and the other legs to the front of you (one leg on your left and the other to your right).

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 8:11 am    

I see and definitely respect those who use drum thrones. However, I couldn't use 'em for the simple fact that a pak-a-seat has all that storage capacity. Without that feature it would mean I'd have to carry yet another case to the gig that holds my cords, volume pedal, etc.

Ian Kelman

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 9:31 am     steel seat

In the past I have used a drum throne & and a fold up piano bench. Both worked fine... but last year I finally broke down and picked up a super comfy "Slimline" Steel Seat with a back rest from Joe Naylor (steelseat.com). It was a game changer. These "pack seats" are military grade, top notch portable furniture. It was a great decision and worth every penny! Joe also offers a swivel seat option too for all you drum throners out there, who might need a place to store your extras.

Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 6:10 pm    

I've been using a drum throne all along and it's been fine for me. I like the easy adjustment of height and the ease of lugging it around.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2015 6:34 am    

I got 30 years' service out of my old Tama, so I bought this one from Sweetwater.

Tama HT130 Standard Drum Throne
$54.99
<http>

Advantages: Legs fold up and seat comes off for transport in my old Samsonite suitcase.

3 legs are easier than 4 for irregular floor surfaces.

Chris