The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help on Franklin D-10 changer
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 2:33 am    

Can anyone help me. My changer for 20th string on E9th isn't working right. I noticed when I hit my Franklin pedsl to lower the 10th string, it raises it instead. I found that the lowers ring part of that changer is pulling the raise with it. I don't see what's causing this. It seems to be greased and lubricated good. I tried to use a screw driver to see if I can separate the two pieces but they want separate it seems

Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 2:34 am    

I meant the 10th string. 😄

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 2:52 am    

If you have a spare rod/nut combo and a free hole on the raise finger, try putting it in the wrong way 'round (so that the nut is on the 'wrong' side of the finger and the rod is sticking out into the room), hold the rod still, and hit the Franklin pedal. See if it's just friction or if they're frozen together together.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 3:37 pm    

Ben, chances are you've got it going by now. It's just a lube thing. You can call me if you like. PM for #. Or, remove the lower return spring. With your fingers, work the lower and raise members back and forth independently. And of course oil at the rivet where the lower and raise members are joined.

Also a lower return spring that's too tight can cause this on some makes of guitars.

b.

Edit. I was headed out the door when I wrote this.And should have mentioned it's best to back all the tension off the string before removing the lower return spring. Makes things work a lot easier.

Might want to note which bell crank holes your rods are in. As they will likely pop out when the members are pulled forward. Not a bad thing to have them out of the way. Makes for easier lubing.

b.

Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2015 2:30 pm    

Hey Bobby. Good to hear from you. And yes I got it working. I had done most of what you said. And yes, i noticed the rivet as well and that is where i oiled it good. I also blew all the dust out of this guitar. I haven't played in over a year due some terrible things going on last year but I am getting back on it.
I re-rodded all the pulls on the E9 to the easiest pedal and lever action. Good God its so smooth now. Almost too easy. I've gotten pretty good working on all pulls now. I rebuilt a guitar last yearEven had to re-engineer it. But its all in learning.

Btw, I still have the Emmons PP and it is still my best sounding guitar. And never goes out of tune. Ive been a die hard Emmons PP fan ever since I got it. I been thinking of getting a LeGrande sometime but I haven't decided if I want one with the counterforce or not. I get so many mixed opinions about it. From what I have gathered, it works good if you have the basic standard Emmons setup. The further you stray away from that, the less it seems to work properly. But I honestly don't know for sure