1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 122

Author Topic:  C6th first string, D vs. G
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 7:33 pm    

George Redmon wrote:
b0b, I have both on my 12 string Whitney, and will have both on my new 12 string Williams Keyless. I find I use the G much more then the D. I think you are hitting on the reason. It's the material you play. If a person could sit down and play Emmons C6th instrumentals all evening, you'd never think twice about the D string. But try playing some old Hawaiian tunes with power chords, I find the D string of very little use at all.

Harbor Lights comes to mind. The kick off to "Your Cheating Heart", gotta have the G. Been my experience. Just about the only thing I use the high D for, are single note riffs. Sure wish our friend Herby Wallace was still with us, he to was a G string user. What is Doug Jernigan using? High G I thought??? It's NOT a fading out "Old Country" change.

George, Doug Jernigan has used a D for years. But it is a light enough gauge that he tunes it up to G to play Streets of Larado. In Dallas this weekend he did his 1970's Bach style counterpoint version of Sugarfoot Rag and tuned up to G for that one. But other than that he has had a D on top for years!

Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2015 1:25 pm    

I would love to somehow convert the C6 neck of my D-10 to an 11-string just so I could have both (still not sure which I'd put on top and which I'd put in the #2 position), but until then, I'm a high G man all the way. As much as I idolise Buddy, I idolise the '60s and early '70s Buddy more than the later '70s D-string Buddy.

(Hmm, I do use a .012 rather than a .011 on top - never tried tuning it down to D to see if it's usable that way....)

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2015 3:05 pm    

I'm just too old and fat for a G-string.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2015 4:12 pm    

I do both. On my Pedal Steel I use G . On my non-pedal console I use D. On the pedal Steel I tried D for a while but switched back to G .

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2015 8:27 pm    

Paul Hoaglin wrote:
(Hmm, I do use a .012 rather than a .011 on top - never tried tuning it down to D to see if it's usable that way....)

If you're not raising it, you can probably use a .013 for high G.

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2015 7:35 am    

After playing a T-3 for several years with the necks tuned: A6th, E13th, and C6th, I had to chose which necks I used most for my D-10 pedal steel. So, I put E 13th and A6th. Later on I changed from A6th to C6th and kept the same chopedant, but 3 frets higher. The D on top just doesn't fit my style.

Thanx,
Jim

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2015 12:21 pm    

I really didn't use the G string much and switched to a D. I use the D even less, I think. I just bought 2 sets of D'Addario C6 sets with the G. I will probably go ahead with the G to see if I use it. The only trouble is that it will mess up a pedal change that I use along with pedal 6. The pedal to the right of my pedal 6 lowers the 5th string G to F (gets rid of the 9th sound and gives me an F in the middle of the tuning) and raises the first string to D# to give me a high 7th sound to the F chord. I'll probably end up back with the D string.

Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2015 1:36 pm    

b0b wrote:
Paul Hoaglin wrote:

If you're not raising it, you can probably use a .013 for high G.

Sadly, I do raise it a semitone on pedal 5 - for my infamously awful attempts to play "Bluemmons". A .013 would probably be gone like the wind in that instance - as would my face and eyes! Shocked

I still want a bloomin' 11-string C6 neck, darn it! If I could figure out how to rig the changer on my MSA and not ruin everything, I'd do it quicker than you can say "A Bundle Of Rags".....

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2015 7:15 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I just bought 2 sets of D'Addario C6 sets with the G.

I can't seem to convince most string makers to insert a D as the 1st string, even though it's what most steel players use. Live Steel Strings, Jagwire and S.I.T. are the only companies I know of that offer C6th with a D.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 2:58 am    

Paul, I bet a .013 could stand up to G#, but might be stiff. I think I shared my mistake of a year or so ago: I put a .020 on 3. It went to pitch and pulled to A.

Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2015 3:44 am    

Two guitars, two options. If I have to choose, I'll take the D on top but use a .11 string so I can tune up when needed. I've just got too many Western Swing tunes that need that high G voicing to give it up, but I'm not a good enough player to loose the versatility of the D.

Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 2 Apr 2015 3:17 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Paul, I bet a .013 could stand up to G#, but might be stiff. I think I shared my mistake of a year or so ago: I put a .020 on 3. It went to pitch and pulled to A.

Wow - I must have missed that one. That could've hurt in so many different ways. That's just - well, wow. That's all I've got there.

I do seem to have a lot of .013s around for "regular" guitar nowadays, so I suppose one day, when I'm feeling brave (but not ".020 brave")....