The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question on an Emmons
Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 12:44 pm    

E clips, as anything, are easy to use with some practice. The best thing to use to remove is a spring hook and to push them back on, an allen wrench.

Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 1:08 pm    

Drop returns are adjusted to return the finger into position, no more and no less. Once set, usually good for many years. I can't say I have ever re-adjusted mine and one guitar is almost 30 years old. I've not seen many reasons to remove a pedal crossbar. I wouldn't call the pedal connectors cheap, they're actually custom machined. Ron did not like ball-end connectors, witnessed to many breaks. Has anyone over heard of an Emmons connector breaking? To each his own! I'll take an Emmons!

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 10:48 pm    

And...................... here's what they should sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7U7Ic6iPJE

Sven Kontio

Sweden
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 3:18 am    

For those of you finding it hard to handle e-clips... Ever heard of Clem Schmitz's Eclip Tool? Brings back blood pressure to normal levels....

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 11:45 pm     return springs

I must agree with Jack Strayhorn.
I bought a New D-10 LaGrande II in 2001 and never had a problem with having to readjust the spring tension.
Like Jack said once it is set properly no need to mess with it.
Larry

Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 8:08 am    

Enen when needed a 1/2 turn is usually sufficient. Unhook, turn and replace.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 11:34 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
The GFI has adjustable drop return springs. The Emmons has these but it looks like a design afterthought and not easy to adjust.

I would not say the lower return springs on an Emmons are a design afterthought. The early Emmons guitars had the springs attached to a threaded rod through a threaded hole in the return spring bracket. The rod can be adjusted by turning it clockwise or counter clockwise. The threaded rod was replaced with a length of welding rod and a shaft collar because the lower returns should only rarely need to be adjusted. Very rarely.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 12:06 pm    

I am a total Emmons guy

I can live with the drop spring design, as it's relatively easy to adjust them when needed (KL function, string gauge changes, rebuilds etc), but I stand by my dislike of the hex pedal rod connectors and e-clips. Both are a PITA. I'd prefer ball joints and hitch-pins, but otherwise love my PPs or LGs.

Mike Bagwell

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 1:26 pm    

The fully adjustable Emmons drop spring adjustment is a very clever design that required a extra bracket and some thought. Most guitars just have simple holes drilled in the end plates and 20 ugly screws showing.
Jack (Stoner), after seeing you repeat this statement several times on the Forum I've come to believe that you just don't understand the concept.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Bagwell on 17 Mar 2015 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 1:28 pm    

What Erv said. The tone in an Emmons is well worth more than two of the GFI's in my opinion. However the weight of the Emmons might scare you compared to the GFI.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 3:22 pm    

I don't understand the concept. If it was so brilliant and better, unless it was patented other steel builders would have copied it or some close version.

If I wanted an Emmons guitar, the design would not keep me from buying one. And, I like the Emmons pedal rod attachment system better than the ball joints. I've had to replace several of the ball joint connectors on my Franklin over the years. Never had any problems with the pedal rods on the D-10 PP I had.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 3:35 pm    

I second that Jack, The simple pedal rod attachments are quick and effective and they never wear out or need oil
(although I always put a drop on the pin when I oil everything else).

They taste great but are less filling !

Mike Bagwell

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 9:57 pm    

Simple economics IMO, it's cheaper and easier to just drill a bunch of holes in a end plate then run some screws in. My first Legrande a 83 model was played on thousands of gigs over a 20 year period, it never needed a drop spring adjusted.
Could be the the design of your guitar facilitates the need for frequent and quick on the job access to this adjustment, if that's the case I could see the need for the set up you prefer.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 2:12 am    

My Franklin has required one spring adjustment in 34 years. Just that it was easier with the end screws.

Jim Mathis

Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2015 1:56 pm    

When I decided to get serious about PSG, I figured that I only needed to buy one if I got the right one. I bought a Emmons LGIII in 1999 and I can't imagine what I would change about it. It is just about perfect.

That said, all the steel players around here play Zums. They all love them too.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 11:50 am    

(3) P/P's & (1) LeGrande III here in my stash . . .
I've played others but theres just a magic sound with a Emmons the others don't have!

Loren Morehouse

Meadowlands, MN USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 12:19 pm    

I have a white "97" Emmons SD-10 and totally agree with Jack Strayhorn and Nick Reed. Totally awesome guitars!! Loren.

Allan Kirby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 12:26 pm    

I play both an Emmons GS-10 push/pull and a single neck GFI Expo xi with stainless steel hardware. To me one is as good as the other. The Emmons is 50 years old and the GFI is two years old, but both are reliable, stay in tune, and sound good. I have no strong preference for one or the other. I just feel very lucky to have two exceptionally nice guitars.