The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where Is The Steel?....Baldknobbers
Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 11:56 am    

Well, I've been gong to the Baldknobbers show in Branson for at least 30 years and went again last night & to my surprise, when the curtain opened...NO STEEL!!

Then I get on the forum just now and see Dean Holman has moved over to the Presley's!! I wish I had known that a few days ago, I would have scheduled differently!

So does anyone know what the Baldknobber's are thinking, not having steel?? Hopefully, it's a temporary thing but after seeing the show last night, I have to say the music was the least "steel friendly" I have ever seen from them!! The humor was great as always but I was not impressed musically!!

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 5:32 pm    

On my way home from Branson today I was thinking that out of the many times I've been there over the years, this is the first trip I went and didn't hear a single steel guitar! That is partly my fault because I didn't do enough research & partly because there just isn't nearly as much real country music there as there used to be. I tried to see the Presley's Thursday night but they were off & we had to leave today so that didn't work out. None of the other shows that I thought might have steel was open either so I struck out!!

So my advice to anyone going to Branson wanting to hear some steel, make sure you do your homework! It should be better starting next month but I would recommend you still ask before you schedule. I never thought I would see the Baldknobbers without steel but unfortunately it did happen!

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 10:02 pm    

The Baldknobbers are going to hire a steel player. The one they are looking at hiring was not able to start yet. As most people know the nature of the music business when things happen or change on short notice. I'll have to check their schedule to find out for sure but I'm pretty sure that Grand Jubilee was doing shows and Gene Mulvaney plays steel on that show plus they do a television show every Friday night. Baldknobbers normally don't do shows on Wednesdays and Sunday nights in March and April. Presleys aren't doing shows on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays until the third week of April, then we will go to six nights a week but Grand Jubilee I'm positive are doing six nights a week. I'm not sure when the new steel player will be starting with the Baldknobbers yet but I'm thinking maybe in the next couple of weeks. I hope this information helps.

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 5:00 am    

Thanks Dean, that is great news that they will be hiring a steel player! Hopefully they will add some classic country to their show as well!

It was a last minute (weather related) decision to go to Branson this past week which of course is not the prime time of year....It's just when I was looking at all the shows Thursday, our last day there, I realized that the percentage of shows that may have steel is very small compared to 10-20 years ago when I would go for a week seeing 2-3 shows a day of solid country music and steel guitar on every show.

Changing times & all the added variety no doubt makes it harder on all the shows to survive! Hang in there & keep doing the great job you do! Thanks for the update!!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 7:15 am    

Quote:
percentage of shows that may have steel is very small compared to 10-20 years ago

just wait 10-20 years from now...

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 7:38 am    

Now that's a scary thought!!

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 1:04 pm    

This is a big surprise to me to be reading this. I had been in contact with Brent and was trying to set up a time to come up and audition but for some reason I was cut short and was not allowed to come up. I hope that they do hire someone but I don't suppose it will be me. I would still love to come up and audition if given the opportunity though.
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2015 6:43 pm    

Well Robert I hate to hear you feel slighted but it may be a blessing in disguise depending on what type music you like to play! I would suggest just going & see the show before you feel too bad.....I just didn't hear much room for steel as in the way the classics were. There was maybe 2-3 songs in the whole 2 hour show that would have been enjoyable for me to play on. From what I heard, I would personally get pretty well burnt out after a week or so.

I've been watching the Baldknobbers for 30+ years and this is by far the least amount of classic country I have ever heard them do. A friend of mine that left the show about a year ago saw this coming but I guess I had to see it to believe it.

You may have enjoyed it if your into the new country stuff but I don't think it would do much for a classic country fan/player!

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 2:34 pm    

That makes me feel less slighted Sidney. I am not big into the new country music that is out now. I would much rather play the good ol' classic country. I wish them the best with the show but I am going to take this as a blessing. Have a great week Sidney and thanks again for your input.
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 7:08 pm    

this is a job for someone who likes a routine, and job security...if you're looking to have fun playing music, this is not a gig for you... I've done something similar for about 3 months, and after 2 months of doing same 12 songs every night I was ready to quit...and I'm talking one summer, I can't even imagine doing it for the whole year...

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2015 7:57 pm    

Damir, I live 20 miles north of Branson, and lived in Branson 22 years. Most of the locals I talk to don't think the Baldknobbers will be around much longer.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 4:34 am    

Keith Hilton wrote:
Damir, I live 20 miles north of Branson, and lived in Branson 22 years. Most of the locals I talk to don't think the Baldknobbers will be around much longer.

Keith, why is that? I believe there is some reality show on cable TV about some music family in Branson. who are those guys?

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 4:59 am    

Having grown up going to Branson regularly and then spent some time (I'd like to forget) at College of the Ozarks I'm honestly surprised a lot of shows are still in Branson. Last I knew things were really down there.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 5:19 am    

I agree with Damir 100%. I played at a local Opry for a while and it was fun. After a while I was soooo bored. I was ready to go back to night clubs, VFWs, Moose, Elks, any place where I could play more of a variety of music. Smile

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 9:53 am    

Damir, you ask,"Why is that?". This is what I hear from the locals about the Baldknobbers Show: Branson's music shows were first built on traditional Country Music. Over the years many different types of shows have moved in. There has been a steady decline of shows based on traditional Country Music. The city of Branson taxes these shows heavy, so they must make money. A show ticket that used to cost $5.00, is now $50.00. To take a family of 4 to a 2 hour music show would be $200.00. The type of music people like is for the most part based on the age group. The age group that liked traditional Country Music is simply dying off fast. Most of the performers on the shows are young and what to play and sing music of their era. The music of the young people is not the traditional country music that built Branson. It is just like the Grand Old Opry of today, as compared to the Opry of the late 1960's and 70's. It is different. Management and performers at the Baldknobbers are the children of those that started the show. These young people want to play the music they like, not the music that built the Baldknobbers Show. The music these young people like appears to not be drawing the audiences that traditional country music once drew. In other words why not play the music that brought the crowds, instead of the modern country that is not selling tickets. Again, this is what I hear from local people about the Baldknobbers.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 10:50 am    

thanks Keith, makes sense, I was in Branson around 1998 or 99, and the only show I went to see was Tom Brumley family show, which was great, tons of steel guitar music of course, and I had to meet Tom, and we even talked for a while after the show, he was a good man... are now days shows in Branson about the music, or just a variety shows with all kinds of stuff mixed in?

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 12:00 pm    

Damir, lots of things have changed in Branson since 1998 and 1999. Variety shows are the most common, and they have little to no country music. A lot of people still visit Branson for the shopping, Silver Dollar City, fishing, and the 3 lakes. There are several big theaters that sit vacant. It costs a lot to operate a big theater--Taxes,heating and air conditioning,insurance,maintenance,employees, BMI ACAP, and advertising--ETC. Lots of money can still be made by a show, if managed correctly. The most money made for the shows comes from bus tours, and their concession stand. Shows must have a schedule of bus tours lined up before the year starts. Guess what: Most of the people on the bus tours are 55 to 90 years old---and they like traditional country music. Far too many of the shows want music they like, instead of what an audience would like. That is why many of the shows go broke each year. So success or failure in many cases depends on management skills. Many locals don't think the young kids at the Baldknobbers have the management skills they need. Plus--the young kids are playing the music "THEY" like, not what the people on the bus tours want to hear. I would guess the young people at the Baldknobbers would rather go broke, and go out of business, rather than play traditional country music. I say that with all due respect, but I think I know what is happening, and has been happening. Would a hard core--traditional--country music show make it in 2015 in Branson? I would personally rather bet on that, then I would the type of music the Baldknobbers are doing. Many of the big name acts have figured Branson out. Acts like Mel Tillis. They have figured out crowds, and the most bus tours, happen from mid September to December 15th. This is the best money making time for the shows in Branson. So shows like Mel Tillis will book a theatre for the month of October. Many months are terrible for the shows, especially August.

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 12:09 pm    

I don't know about other shows but I know Baldknobbers and Presleys have a family pass. I know Baldknobbers family pass is 2 adults plus up to 4 children for $69.00. I think Presleys has a similar family pass. I chose a long time ago that if I was going to play music for a living, there was going to have to be some kind of security and Baldknobbers and Presleys and small handful of shows in Branson are more secure than most gigs in Nashville. I have been at the butt end of a lot of gigs in Nashville and some of the shows in Branson get to looking more promising especially when the abundance of steel players slash utility players are far and few between. Boring, all I can say about that is all jobs to some degree gets boring. I'll take a boring music show job over a break your back hard labor job any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I have to admit that traditional country has dwindled a little at some of these shows but it is NOT obsolete and I have been able to make steel guitar among the other instruments I play, work with whatever kind of music is thrown in front of me. To me that kind of challenge is not boring.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 12:11 pm    

so Mel Tillis doesn't do the show through the whole year, he just rents the theatre for a few months in season? smart lol

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 12:14 pm    

Keith Hilton wrote:
Over the years many different types of shows have moved in. There has been a steady decline of shows based on traditional Country Music.

This is exactly what I have seen as a tourist! I went to Branson a lot in the mid 80's to late 90's & traditional country music was king!! I can't even begin to list everyone I saw there from legends to locals who were all great!! I couldn't fit everybody I wanted to see in a week's stay! Although, during the mid to late 90's is when I remember it starting to change and all the different types of shows started coming in.

It is so diversified now, that it has created a very diversified tourist base which sounds good on the surface but it makes all the shows struggle to draw a crowd big enough to make money since so many come to see different things. In it's hey day, Branson was full of traditional country fans, now it is full of all different types of fans who are there to see all different types of shows.

After looking at this years show lineup, It probably wouldn't take but a couple of days to see all the traditional country shows...the large traditional country tourist base just isn't there anymore. I think it's somewhat of a "catch 22" where the country shows have a hard time drawing a crowd from the tourist who are there and then the traditional fans, like me, find it hard to justify making the trip to Branson because there is not much country music to see anymore. It's a bad situation all the way around for real country music in a town that exploded because of real country music.

I know for a fact that there have been real country shows try to make it there in the last few years and just can't draw a crowd big enough to pay the bills. I'm thinking the tourist base is just too diversified to support very many real country shows. I wish the best to the ones still hanging on for however long it lasts!!

Roger Watson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 12:45 pm     Baldknobbers

I wholeheartedly agree with the disappointing comments about the Baldknobbers. I had the opportunity(?) to see them perform here in Wichita Falls a few weeks ago. I think Dean is a really good steeler, but you'd never know it by the amount of time he was allowed to play. Kevin, however, does an exceptional job on the RFD televised Presleys shows and will be hard to replace.As good as he is, I hope he's moving up to better venues.

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 2:48 pm    

Dean, I think you have the right attitude to be successful playing music for a living & I hope you are able to do that for as long as you want!

For me, music, whether listening or playing is a hobby so that is where my whole view is based on. I have been fortunate to be able to make a decent living doing something I don't really care for but is not back breaking either. I have always respected those who can make a living doing what they enjoy!! You are definitely in the minority but that is a good place to be!

From a hobby/entertainment standpoint, it's a little frustrating to see something I enjoyed for many years slowly slip away. Branson was a great place with a heavy concentration of the music I love in a family atmosphere and to see it transform into what it has become (musically) makes a lot of us have to look elsewhere for our enjoyment.

I know there are a lot of people and maybe even more now who come to Branson which is good for business, if you are in the right business. It's just that the business of real country music holds only a fraction of the market share that it once did & hopefully you as well as the other musicians there can continue to position yourselves in the right shows to remain successful!

As with any hobby though, we can choose to do it or not depending on our satisfaction gained from it. So as the real country shows continue to diminish, we will just have to find our satisfaction somewhere else, whether playing or listening.

It's just another form of that ongoing battle of the music business between the music & the business....As a hobby player/listener I get to choose to be on the side of the music.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 5:44 pm    

I think this is a great easy gig for a steel player, if I was there, the less I play the better...the only thing is, I would probably become an alcoholic after 6 months lol

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 6:49 pm    

My relatives came to Taney County Missouri in 1839 when they ran the Cherokee Indians out of Tennessee, during the Trail of Tears. I grew up in Branson "BEFORE" Table Rock Lake, or Bull Shoals Lake was built. I grew up in Branson before there was any shows there. The biggest difference is there used to be "NO" jobs of any kind, and now there are lots of jobs due to the tourist industry. The Presley's hired a good person and a good player in Dean Holman. My advise to Dean is this: "Dean stay off those motor cycles". I learned my lesson when I ran between 8 deer standing in the road at 2:00 in the morning, when I was doing 70 miles per hour on Highway 65 on a 750 motor cycle. Very Happy

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2015 7:03 pm    

What's a Baldnobber?