The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB Rebuild
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 9:34 am    

Some time back I decided to change a D-10 ZB over to a standard cross shaft operating system. I did quite a bit of research and found some pictures of others who had done the same. I wanted to save as much of the original ZB as I could so I stuck with the original changers, pickups, cabinet, pedals and etc. The only thing I really changed was how it operated. Believe me, this task wound up being quite daunting. I settled on a MSA Classic arrangement. You can get parts for the MSA Classic from Wayne Link in Canada and that's who I turned to. Some of the parts I made myself like the cross shafts and side rails.
In addition to changing the operating system, I also stripped the old finish and re-finished the cabinet.
I took some pictures and hope I can get them posted.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 9:57 am    

Nicely done. I bet she sounds like a million bucks

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 10:01 am    

Tony,
I haven't tried it yet. Whoa!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 10:13 am    

wow erv! i guess you're more than just a pretty face.
what's the clear finish? i've always been impressed with the clear tough finish on zb's.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 10:37 am    

Chris,
This guitar started out as all black. I stripped it down to all natural and then repainted the parts I wanted black. Then the whole guitar (minus the inlay) was given many, many coats of clear nitro cellulose lacquer.
This guitar came with odd ball Schaller tuners and some were bad. The only place I could find replacements was a music store in Germany so that's where they came from.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 11:26 am    

Erv, that is very, very impressive work! There is a dickens of a lot of thought, planning and good old-fashioned "sweat of the brow" in that. You've added value and utility to a vntage steel, and given it the classic ZB-look.

We're all on tenterhooks now until you tell us how it sounds. My guess is it's going to be just magnificent.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 12:18 pm    

Ned,
To tell you the truth, everything is in place but it needs a lot of adjustment and fine tuning. Right now I'm kind of burned out so don't plan on doing it real soon, I have a Zum that I need to get to my liking. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if some one twisted my arm and insisted that I sell them the ZB.
I'm sure I won't get anywhere near the money out of it that I've put into it. Just the parts from Wayne Link were a thousand dollars.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 12:36 pm    

If the original ZB changer is being kept, then it is unwise, in my opinion, to have individual bell cranks, when a simple yoke is far more effective, and trouble free.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 12:38 pm    

That turned out great, Erv.

The parts are probably available from Michael Yahl. Not sure how much it would run.

And, I agree with Richard B.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 12:39 pm    

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Very Happy

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 12:44 pm    

How did you determine the optimum cross shaft height?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 12:50 pm    

Chris,
On the original ZB setup some of the rods pulled from the bottom. I raised up the cross shafts high enough so the E9th pulls could be from the bottom.
The cross shafts all turn on bronze bushings.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 1:07 pm    

I understand you wanted the pulls to come from below, but how did you determine high to place the cross shafts? That has to be difficult without trial and error. I know that Emmons cross shaft height changed through the early guitars.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 1:32 pm    

Beautiful job Erv. What a labor of LOVE that had to be.
I love the sound of the ZB. If I was only younger. J.R.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 1:48 pm    

Chris,
I didn't want the cross shafts to be any higher than necessary. On the three cross shafts for the E9th neck the bell cranks are mounted on the bottom. The cross shafts are just high enough so the bell cranks have a little clearance.

J.R. Thanks so much. Very Happy

Mel Bergman

Camarillo, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 1:58 pm    

Erv,

That looks wonderful! My hats off to anyone doing major restoration work on any instrument. Comparing this to the old car world, I suppose this would be a resto-mod. Purists hate those cars, while those who own them actually have fun anddrive them a lot!

I am in the process of rebuilding ZB #11. Every part on this guitar is handmade. I have reused every single part that came on the guitar. I will post pics when I get closer to putting it back together.

Again, great work!

Mel

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 2:17 pm    

Mel,
That sounds good. I saved all the old parts off the ZB. Who knows, somebody might need them. Very Happy

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 2:40 pm    

Beautiful work, stunning

I do have a question- Without the yoke to swivel, how do you pull two strings and tune them, since the pulls are independent of each other? Or is that handled with the spring on the backside of the bellcrank?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 2:44 pm    

Mike,
If you'll notice I incorporated a bit of p/p in the undercarriage. I have short springs and a collar on the bell cranks. And at the changer end each finger has an adjustment nut. Also where the two sections of pull rod come together there is a turnbuckle with left and right hand thread, just like the original ZB's.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 2:51 pm     super nice!

Erv, that's really nice!

A couple questions...
It looks like you still need to balance the pulls with the turnbuckles, correct?
How do you deal with the E-F and E-F# raises? (the mushiest issue I have found with my ZB) I have seen a couple different ways that ZBs were made, using double bike spokes at the changer, and using a separate pull rod to the middle hole.
I'd love to see some close-ups of that part.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 2:56 pm    

There is a place for two raise rods and two lower rods on each finger.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 3:13 pm    

Erv, that's really a great job and I can say from experience that it is a job because I did one myself.
I like the adjustable pedal stops you have. I toyed with the idea myself but decided not to use them and only use the stops on end plate. I would have done that but would have to had changed some things and like you I was burnt out. I think yours would probably work better or have a better pedal feel.
Mine was half and half, used yokes on E 9th and the Emmons compression springs on C6th. Both seemed to work well while the yokes were easier to tune by a small margin.
Again Erv, great job. Smile

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 3:21 pm    

Man o man!

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 3:26 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Mike,
If you'll notice I incorporated a bit of p/p in the undercarriage. I have short springs and a collar on the bell cranks. And at the changer end each finger has an adjustment nut. Also where the two sections of pull rod come together there is a turnbuckle with left and right hand thread, just like the original ZB's.

Thanks Erv! Smile

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 6:05 pm     And the winner is...

I think only a madman would attempt this endeavor. Good for you, Erv. The outcome is extremely impressive.
stevet