The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Early 1990s Mullen d-10
Jerry Mason

Reader, Wv
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 7:54 pm    

How many are still playing early 1990s Mullen guitars? And how many traded for newer models, but wish they had their 1990s Mullen back? I'm sure the newer ones play better, but how does the tone compare? (I have a 1992 Mullen.) Thx for your input!

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 8:44 am    

Like any successful company that wishes to remain viable, products must improve with
technology and demand. Mullen guitar company has been committed to doing just that and being the very best since it's start.
Mullen guitars from the 90s are great. I've owned several as you can see by Youtube clips from 20 years ago. I still own a 2004 RP that is near and dear. However, the new G2 surpasses anything I've ever played in everyway, just as it's suppose to!

Jerry Mason

Reader, Wv
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 1:42 pm    

Tommy thx for your reply! I totally agree that Mullen has always made, and still makes one, if not the highest quality steels made today! I was just wandering if one is use to playing the same instrument for several years, If it would take a while to get over losing an old friend as each instrument has a sound and character of its own.
I found a clip of you from a Crook and Chase show on U-tube playing a Mullen, sound was awesome as always!

Jerry Warner

Charleston, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 3:20 pm     1988

I have a 1988 mullen 8@5 had since new never had a problem w/ this guitar and it has the tone.

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 7:38 pm    

I had a 90 D10 Mullen. Sold it and went through several other brands, Franklin included. Then I bought a new HWP Mullen which is a 90's Mullen. I have been full circle. Never played a G2 but I can't imagine it playing better. Like I said. I haven't played one.
Happy Camper !! Smile

George Crowder

Richmond, VA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 4:18 am    

I have a '95 Mullen D-10 that I bought new from Billy Cooper's Music. Although I have never owned a G2, I had a chance to play one a couple of years ago. I didn't think it played or sounded any better than my 95.

Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 6:31 am    

I have an early Mullen and I have had newer models. They are all good and I personally do not see any difference in playability. I have not tried the G2. Del told me that it has the sound he has striven for but I do not hear the difference and I know most of the people I play for or with do not know the difference either. I will keep my old guitar and be quite happy with it.