The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country/Pedal Steel in Austin, Texas
Eric Strange

Westbrook, Maine
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 8:43 pm    

Hi all,

This is my first post. I'm an amateur GFI S-10 steel player and country enthusiast. I currently am doing travel healthcare work in east Texas and my wife and I are visiting Austin this week-end. Can anyone recommend a nice place in Austin to hear some good country music and pedal steel? I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 9:18 pm    

The Broken Spoke! Fantastic place with a ton of history. Almost every great country musician you can think of has played there, and it's said to still be one of Willie Nelson's favorite spots. There's a small museum attached to the main bar area full of photos and all kinds of crazy and great paraphernalia. I saw Herb Steiner play there with Alvin Crow and it was a blast. It's a good idea to get there early or consider parking in a lot a block or so away. A lot of people show up to dance.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 3:04 am    

The dancing is pretty close, it's a popular place. The Spoke is well famous enough to be known in Massachusetts.
I understand Linda Rondstadt was there to play long time ago; her band didn't make the flight so she had to use
who was there, Little Feat.

Eat at Threadgills while you're there, chicken-fried steak. Threadgill was friends with many musicians.
Janis Joplin was there for his birthday once with a flower garland for him to wear. 'I thought I'd give you a lei,' she said.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 8:21 am    

Than there's the Continental Club.
How about Ginny's Little Pour House?

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 11:30 am    

Hi Eric,
If you're here by Thursday night, come to ABGB's, where Dave Biller and I will be playing TWIN STEELS at the Waylon hoot night!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 8:15 am    

I see SxSW is coming up in March. Unfortunately I can't travel that week.
Are there any other big music events in Austin coming up in upcoming months?
I'm considering a vacation down that-a-way.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 10:50 am    

south by southwest doesn't cater much to country music does it?
i always thought it was pretty rock n roll.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 11:11 am    

Look and see if you can find Dale Watson in town. Could be at one of the three clubs already named.
Redd Volkert(sp) with Johnny Cox should be in town at one of those clubs. W.C. Edgar is very good to see.
Your hotel/motel should have a weekly flyer that will list everything. Ataleeta's Mexican Food is a very good place for food and music. Just across the river on Congress I think. You might send a PM to Bob Hoffner here on the forum and he can tell you everything you need to know. It is a fun City with more music than you can get around in a weekend. I would recommend the Broken Spoke, nothing fancy just the real deal. J.R.

Dean Rimmer

texas
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 12:03 pm    

hey dont forget pooties...not as good as it once....but still gets some good bands with steel sometimes.....price porter n danny hawks scott martin..... always a chance one of them would would be playin

Dan Najvar

McDade, TX
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 4:03 pm    

You should check the Austin Chronicle. Just about every club in the area has their schedule in there. It's a free paper and you can find it just about in any store. They also have a website as well. Don't forget that Gruene Hall is just down there road and there is always some pretty good country bands playing there, usually with a steel. Smile

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 5:19 pm    

Look at Cotton Club and Steakhouse in Granger. It's about 30 minutes away. They usually have good country on Friday/Saturday.
Sunday is a really good Jam Session/dance. Bill Dearmore is the house player on Sunday. He's a great player.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 7:55 am    

Ginny's is actually 'The Little Longhorn' and there's a music calendar here:

http://thelittlelonghornsaloon.com/events/

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 8:28 am    

Great tips! Thanks Smile

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 8:37 am    

Erv has been the places. Neutral

Eric Strange

Westbrook, Maine
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 9:23 pm    

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We'll probably try to get to The Broken Spoket this time. I've got some great ideas for my next visit to Austin. I appreciate all your input.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 9:15 am    

Charlie,
I've spent quite a bit of time in Austin, I really like that town. Very Happy

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 9:42 am    

I do to, altho I enjoyed it a lot more when I was in school and it was a quarter-million people instead of times four.
A pretty place, and very popular. I moved back in 2000 and wondered why I'd move to some place where everybody else was moving to.
South Congress is as nice an area as a city can have, and some mighty good food.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 9:15 am    

Quote:
South Congress is as nice an area as a city can have, and some mighty good food.

Hey Charlie, it's still cool in spots, but S. Austin is really undergoing some not so good changes. Heart of Texas Music (Ray Henning's place) lost their lease and the former site is now a huge ugly condo development. It's happening more and more all over Austin.. South Austin is getting developed to death. Check out what's been done to the Broken Spoke below. Sorry, topic drift, but this is a pretty sensitive topic around these parts with the folks who have lived here for years.. My advice, enjoy it while you can, it's only a matter of time.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 11:20 am    

The Broken Spoke looks a little penned in.

I hate to hear of Hennings going for something ugly.
I've got an amp from there. It was a great place.

Keep Austin Wierd is just a slogan now.
Thanks for the photo!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 12:51 pm    

just for the record it's Ray Hennig. nice guy. i met him in jd sloan's band at mr. lucky's long ago.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 3:06 pm    

Oops.. Chris is correct, Hennig..

I visited with Ray quite a few times before the store closed, even though I was a virtual stranger to him other than maybe remembering me from few visits to the store, he definitely liked to talk.

I was in there one day looking for a bunch of Telecaster bridge parts, some saddles, and a couple of springs and screws. He dug around in a bunch of drawers and boxes full of hardware and junk behind the counter and came up with what I wanted, and I asked him how much. He sorta looked at the stuff on the counter, none of it was priced of course, and after thinking about it a minute he said, "Aw, I dunno, just take this stuff.." A lady who was also behind the counter looked up at that point, and came over. She told Ray to hold on for a second, and told me that the price on the stuff was 5 bucks or something like that.

I was chuckling to myself because I'm guessing there was no way to know how much stuff Ray had given away over the years. I always got the impression he just liked hanging out and being in a music store, and making money didn't seem like the most important thing. I sure hated to see that place close..

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 3:29 pm    

i played in j david sloan's band for one week and ray was a really a great guitar player. it turned out he used to play bass and had just started playing the guitar. the rest is history, of course. he was really nice to me even though i was a little green at the time.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 4:58 pm    

I really don't know Austin at all but yesterday I got an email from a friend of mine, Neil Flanz who is a good steel player. Part of his email said - "I'll be playing at Ginny's Little Longhorn in north Austin on Tuesday night." Perhaps this might be helpful?! Jim H.

Dan Najvar

McDade, TX
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 6:17 pm    

Maybe a little off topic, but this thread brought back some memories. When I had started out on steel I was playing in a band with Glen Collins and we had a regular gig at Buddy's Place on Anderson lane and his uncle Dwayne Smith I think his name, would get up and sing with us all the time. Dwayne was better known as Son Geezenslaw. It was a blast! After we would finish our sets we would go to Ginny's and that is where I met Ricky Davis who was in a band then with Red Volkart. Man those guys! Anyway, Glen had booked us a bunch of times at the Broken Spoke ( in the front restaurant , not the main stage. Lol) and from what I recall, there was nothing around that place at the time. Lots of space for parking I guess would be a good way of putting it. My how time changes everything. I haven't really gotten to hang out in Austin in at least 10 years and the way Bill put it that might be ok. I still miss it though.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 8:53 pm    

In a now somewhat infrequent appearance, I'll be at the Broken Spoke this coming Friday with Gary P. Nunn.

BTW Bill, I understand the Spoke has been awarded historic site status (or some other such designation), which means it will probably be protected from demolition if it remains the Broken Spoke.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?