The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  William Litaker lessons
Doug Frank

Columbus, OH
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 1:07 pm    

I started playing in 1980 and took a few Jeff Newman, Buddy Emmons, Herby Wallace seminars. First paying gig was "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" at the Gateway Theater on Long Island and I went on to play that show for theater groups on Long Island over the next 6 or 7 years. I never became great but I was progressing in my ability.

I moved to Columbus and went back to school in 1990 but I still was woodshedding. Over the last half dozen years, however, the pedal steel was used less in groups I played with so my playing declined and diminished. I am usually the utility guy, playing bass, guitar, lap steel, mandolin, dobro,etc but seldom pedal steel. I even took up double bass 10 years ago and play in the Metropolitan Chamber Orchestra here in Columbus! After having my Sho-Bud and Marrs rebuilt a few years ago, I decided that it was time to start up again on pedal steel. There is always a time crunch but I decided to sign up for William's lessons in order to get into a practice groove.

I am enjoying the lessons and getting back into old familiar territory, slow as it may be! I like the lesson format and they are just right for getting me back to playing. Never enough time to practice the way I'd like to but the lessons are giving me a good format to follow. The price is an absolute bargain and it has been extremely helpful to me

I wanted to send this out particularly if someone is in the same boat as me and thinking of starting back up again.

Nice job, William.....great playing!

regards,

Doug

Regards, Doug

Last edited by Doug Frank on 24 Feb 2015 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 2:26 pm    

Somehow I got it in my head that the Saturday broadcasts were beginner instruction. I think a beginner, who puts the time in could benefit , but the instruction goes into intermediate and advanced levels. Some of the things that William teaches involve :

-the use of strings 1,2,7,9
-use of the lever lowering the 2nd string
-wide grips
- grips other than major triads
-chord study
-banjo rolls
-bar slants
-right hand technique

The Saturday broadcast sets up my practice for the following week and keeps me focused.

I've been doing the broadcasts since August and its perhaps the best gift that I could have given myself. I've taken the steelinar and have done the 3 song workshops that William has done. I've been playing a long time but have never made the kind of gains that I've seen in the past 6 months. Just an amazing amount of learning in a short time from a very gifted teacher and player. Definately a direct route to stimulating your mind and building chops. Highly recommended.

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 3:55 pm     Agree

I have to agree with you Howard. I struggled for several years until I stumbled across William. In these past 5 months, I have followed him on his broadcasts and the workshops and I have made significant gains. To the point I look forward
to Broadcasts & Work Shops where I can learn something new. When you learn to play what he teaches, you want be classed as a beginner for long!
William keep on teaching!!!!!!!!!!!!! JA

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 5:54 pm    

My internet was cutting in and out and it was hard to hear last weeks lessons but I’m sure William said this weeks lesson is going to cover …. Boot Blocking, The Theory of fitting your PSG with a Humongous music stand and if things are not falling off the wall you need this weeks lesson on Right Hand Alfalfa or maybe it was Right hand wheat, well anyway I'm pretty sure it’s going to be something Right Hand Seedy or Grainy.
Well no matter anything close to that has got to be worth me doing without one subsandwich this week.

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 5:38 am    

Teacher of the year: 2011-2015

Right hand technique: like snappin yer fingers

Cat: long gone

Bootblocking: some one will die

You gotta love Will's teaching style!

George

Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 6:01 am    

I watch William's lessons for two reasons.
1. To be entertained, William has a great sense of humor and is fun to watch.
2. To learn how to be a better steel guitar player. William is a great steel guitar player and a very good teacher. Every week he has a new exercise or intro or lick that is challenging to learn and sounds good. And he teaches a complete song from start to finish.
For only $5 a week. Where else can you get an hour long lesson for that price?

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 12:26 pm    

Howard Steinberg wrote:
Somehow I got it in my head that the Saturday broadcasts were beginner instruction. I think a beginner, who puts the time in could benefit , but the instruction goes into intermediate and advanced levels. .....
The Saturday broadcast sets up my practice for the following week and keeps me focused.

Howard, that's how I use it, too. I'll work off the technique exercises and concentrate on something along with them, like either finding two other positions to play each one, or work on volume pedal control for accent or subtlety, or just kick that mother out with a good ol' boot block! The songs are pretty intensive and I'll work out a simplistic version of what's there. Lord knows its a high bar to attain to for newer players. LIke William mentioned, if he got a lick or two down from a Newman lesson, he got his money's worth.

This deal helps keep me on point and it's something I look forward to each week, like Saturday morning cartoons.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2015 9:25 am    

half hour until posting time...

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2015 12:12 pm     Lesson

Another great lesson taught by William. If you want to be a better player, it would be to your advantage
to give him a try. $5 bucks for 1 lesson or $20 for four lessons. You will be spending a lot less money than buying something that's not going to help!

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 4:23 am    

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 4:36 am    

I too enjoy Will's lessons. He's right, if you take away one lick
a week you're doing 100% better than wasting your money and time elsewhere.
And yeah, I like watching the show, he's quite a character Laughing

William Litaker

Kannapolis, North Carolina, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 2:58 pm    

Thanks so much guys...for sure...
http://www.pedalsteeler.com/

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 4:03 pm     William

Quiet a character he is but he's also one of the best teachers in the business!!!!

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2015 3:00 am    

I'll be there for the Litaker SHow !

Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 4:12 pm    

Last weeks lesson had 2 great intro's included in the worksheets, plus technique exercises and the "That's the way Love Goes" song.
I just wish I would have started subscribing to the weekly lessons a couple years ago. These lessons give me something worth while to practice instead of just tinkering around and accomplishing nothing, like I used to do.
Plus William is an entertaining guy, you will not be bored with his teaching style.

Doug Frank

Columbus, OH
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2015 4:42 am    

So it's been about 3 months since I started subscribing to William's lessons. I look forward to them and can see the progress I have made.

I think it is a very worthwhile endeavor and folks should check it out.

doug

J C Toles

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2015 1:37 pm     Artist

the fuzzy faced maestro laid down another master piece. Arrow ( sign up ) to WILLIAM LITAKER.
[/b]

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 8 May 2015 2:06 am    

Thanks for all the personal instruction and support you've provided to me the last few weeks, William. The new pedalsteeler.com sight looks awesome! RE:polycarb pedal~ The wife is still waiting on her royalty checks. Laughing

Joey Andrews

Laurel ,Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2015 4:06 pm     Lessons

As we are all sad about the Policarp Pedal and all its royalites troubles. William has assured everyone that the lessons will go on, so come join in. He is starting a new project tune MAMA TRIED May 23. http://www.pedalsteeler.com/

George Buechley

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2015 4:22 am    

William has informed me that negotiations are under way to end all disputes regarding the Boot Block pedal, also known as the Polycarp pedal. In the future it will be called the Lita-Carpo pedal and all the funds that have accumulated so far (a whopping $0.03) will be split by the new owners. Thank God this ordeal is now over.

Oh Well

George

Mama Tried will be a welcome relief!

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 18 May 2015 7:18 am     Great lessons

another great lesson...Kentucky Waltz is a beautiful waltz and with Williams expertise it's 5 times more beautiful....jr

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 2 May 2016 5:00 am    

I recently signed up for William's weekly lessons. I am not a beginner, but I felt the I needed something to motivate me to play better. The lessons are just 5.00 a week, 20.00 each month. He is a very good player and covers a lot of material in each lesson. These lessons are not just for beginners, I think almost anyone can benefit from them. You don't really need to learn these to play these songs note for note each week, as others have said, if you can learn just a few licks from each lesson, you will definitely be getting your money's worth. So, if you feel like your playing has gotten a little stale or just feel like you need some new material to practice, these weekly lessons are great.

Jerry Pollard

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2016 10:03 am    

will is a great teacher
and he makes it fun to practice
and learn.

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2016 11:17 am    

I enjoy Williams teaching. IS HE A jEFF NEWMAN No but he is out there week after week put together a lesson each week. Is he a great player I will say no. But is he a good play yes. There are lots of good player but cannot teach. Is Willaim doing his best I would say every day. Each player has his own reasons for playing and learning. I will never be a great player or even a good one. I do it for the love of the instrument and the enjoyment I receive from making small scale victories . Each week we get at least 4 licks an intro and part of a song or backup licks for fills. I am sure he could find other thangs to do with his time but he is giving back and I thank him for that. He is not going to get rich or most of the time break even at only 20 bucks a month. If you are even wanting to improve your playing check his website out and join us. I can tell you Willam has alway giving me the best customer service and but up with my dumb questions. If you will make and effort to work through the materials even if they are over your head or you ability. The trick is do what you can and work on it until you can play the section well then move on. IMHO it is easy to poke fun at people. If you want to learn come join us.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2016 11:40 am    

Stuart Legg wrote:

Well no matter anything close to that has got to be worth me doing without one subsandwich this week.

stuart, since you yourself don't play steel,
how do you apply the knowledge from these lessons?