The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter rodding instructions...over or under???
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 10:57 am    

I was reading my Carter manual and it mentions hooking the pull rod over the "pull pin" in the bell crank or hooking the rod from underneath the "pull-pin". It does not mention the advantages of the two options, but it does insinuate there is a difference.
Any opinions on this procedure?

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 12:06 pm    

I've never felt it made a difference. It seems to me the leverage would be the same.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 12:19 pm    

I know that Al Brisco believes there are two different leverages, but I honestly haven't been able to tell the difference. I think that the pull point on the barbell is the same in either case.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 3:27 pm    

I am with bOb and John. In theory they say that the under bar bell connection or on top is like moving the bar bell closer to or farther away from the axle. I cannot tell any change of feel. Just my two cents, J.R.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 7:40 am    

I agree with bob.

The actual point of the pull, in the "bar-bell", is the same for over the top or underneath pull.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 6:59 pm    

Ha, I remember scratching my head over this point as well. The wording that Tom referred to in the Carter Owner's Manual is pretty specific: "Each of the five (5) holes has two (2) adjustments: pull-rod over the pull-pin and pull-rod under the pull-pin. This design makes possible ten (10) different pull adjustments." It doesn't make sense to me. I agree with you guys that it's the location of the barbell that matters.

It's interesting to note that the Carter rodding chart specifies bellcrank ("pull bar") positions PB1 through PB-5, without any mention of over or under.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 8:27 pm    

The over and under instructions for rodding a Carter are to provide clearance for other rods, not for a different pulling point. The barbell is the pull center, no matter which side the rod is on, it's the same.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 9:01 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
The over and under instructions for rodding a Carter are to provide clearance for other rods, not for a different pulling point. The barbell is the pull center, no matter which side the rod is on, it's the same.
I agree with this view, Henry, at least that's how it works out, for my Carters. I'm not sure, though, that this was by design, or that it was because it was just easier, and cheaper to bend the rods this way, than to put another bend in the rod to bring the centerline of the rod through the centerline of the barbell. -Jake-