The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question re: Peterson Plus HD
Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 7:27 am    

Under the Jeff Newman sweetner for his later tuning there are 12 offsets, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A# and B. Please explain why this chromatic scale is listed rather than the names of the strings on a 10 string pedal steel.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 11:40 am    

Because pedals and knees give you all the notes in the chromatic scale. If you are gonna program a tuner, they'll be in order.
Your copedent chart will tell you which are which.

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 11:58 am     peterson

The above is in re SE 9, Newman open strings. There is also SP 9 for the pedals and levers. Under SP 9 there 8 notes...C#, D, D#, F, F#, G, A, and A#.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 12:22 pm    

You'd have to consult a chart.
For reasons I don't agree with, and can't be bothered to remember, he had different C# and F# values (as in the C pedal C# wasn't the same as the A pedal C#, and the C pedal F# isn't the same as the 1st string), and a few others.
I have adopted a much simpler tuning scheme that needs no programming.
Everything except D#, A#, C# and G# is tuned straight up, those 4 are 4 cents flat.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 2:08 pm    

Here is my combined Newman E9th tuning for the Peterson HD. The only note it does not have is the 4th string F# raise (that is in a separate program).

Its the SE9 and SP9 combined, plus a couple extras that Newman never had in his but are popular now, such as raising the 1st string a full tone. I've shared this tuning with a quite few people. (I have a similar program for C6th).

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 3:08 pm     Tuner

I think Jack Stoner's tuning is the best I have used. That is all I use now, the search for the right tuning, for me, is over since I have set up Jack's tuning on my Peterson HD. One selection, no more having to switch from open strings to pedals. Thanks Jack!!!