The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Choosing a new D10...
Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 5:58 pm    

Hello all, sorry I haven't posted for awhile - a bit of forum burnout I'm afraid Very Happy I'm in the market for a "new" D10 and would love to get some firsthand input/opinions on a few makes, namely Desert Rose, Justice, and Lamar, as they seem to be the most praised guitars(?) currently made in their price range with a reasonable build lead-time. What would be especially helpful is any head-to-head comparisons that anyone might have. Please feel free to email/pm me if you don't care to post negative opinions (a very classy practice, IMHO). Thanking you much in advance!

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 9:57 pm    

I don't think you could go wrong with any new guitar these days. Most of them look and play the same, and a lot of them even share the same parts.

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 5:47 am    

I can speak for the Justice D-10. I'll try to be objective and not offer info to justify my purchase of a Justice D-10. Ive had MSA, Mullen PRP and Carter D-10's in the past. The Justice guitars sound incredibly good to me (subjective). The D-10 gives me the sensation of sitting under a good sized piece of real estate. It's not horrible to carry and transport, especially if you have a split case or just carry your legs and pedal bar separately. I've never weighed it but it's maybe a little heavier than the Carter D-10. The pedal/lever action is very positive and what I consider light without being mushy. I have 5 pulls on my 4th pedal and it is only the slightest bit stiff. Both of my Justice guitars are very responsive beasts that do nothing that gets in my way, needing to adjust for, while playing. Fred Justice is a man who believes in the guitars that he builds and is terrific to work with. Obviously, it's a personal choice based on what works best for you. I hope you have an opportunity to play one of Fred's guitars. If you are ever in my neck of the woods you are welcome to stop by and sit under mine.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 6:11 am    

Due to technical differences, the three that most catch my eye are Infinity, Williams and MSA.
Frank has, AFAIK, closed his list, so no Infinity.
Pricewise, MSA is at the top.

A call to Scotty's wouldn't be a bad thing. The Excel is a very well made guitar, and pretty danged reasonable.

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 2:14 pm    

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far - I'm getting some very useful info!

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 2:48 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=280073&highlight=

Look what just became available, Mike....and it looks like it's located in Nashville.

Mike Fried

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 2:59 pm    

Rick Barnhart wrote:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=280073&highlight=

Look what just became available, Mike....and it looks like it's located in Nashville.

Thank you for the heads-up, Rick! Unfortunately it's too light in the knee-lever dept. for me (I know, "if it was good enough for Weldon", right? Smile ), and Fred won't add any to it. Sure is a gorgeous instrument though, isn't it?!

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 3:32 pm    

Mike , You might check with Jeff at ShowPro. He'll custom build what you want. Great guitars.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 3:47 pm    

You will get all kinds of responses, so I will give you mine. I have owned 5 diferent brands of steel guitars. My present one is a Mullen, and for me, it is the best I have owned. I just have a SD10, but if I was to go to a D10, it would definitely be a Mullen. Good Luck. Larry

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 3:48 pm    

I want to as they say on CSPAN, revise and extend my remarks.
Nearly every guitar out there now is VERY well made.
The ones I mentioned stand out technically.
The others are all damn good guitars. There's not a single guitar out there that I would say aren't worth the money, or don't get that one. Even the ones that don't make you drool will make you happy.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 4:32 pm    

I agree with Jim and Lane. Almost all guitars being built today are excellent. I've owned Mullen, Desert Rose , Emmons , Justice.... They're all fantastic guitars. However ShowPro is local to you. I'd drive out and talk to Jeff.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 5:16 pm     Guitar of Choice

I've owned 9 top of the line guitars and the Show Pro Custom I have now is head and shoulders above any of the others I've had. Jeff is a great guy to deal with and you can get it custom built and the service is great....Just my two cents worth....clark Smile

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2015 9:54 am    

Check out a Mullen. We make our own parts so you will not find them shared with other guitars. I'm partially biased though. Wink

www.mullenguitars.com

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2015 12:01 pm    

Mike, your guitars are excellent. They're one of the ones that certainly makes people drool.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 1:50 am    

these days there are many factors when asking this question..

what is your budget, always #1

are you wanting USED or NEW ? Huge difference, price and availability..

when do you want it ? Now or 12 months from now ?

do you want to order and wait or pay and take it home ?

There are so many fine modern era Steels on the market, you can hardly go wrong with any of them. For my cash, within reasonable pricing and availability is at the top of the list.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 3:31 am     Most steels similar

Mike, I find that most of the steels today are similar except in terms of price. Look closely and even ask Forum friends before buying. steve t

W. C. Edgar

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, L or R Coast Soon!
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 2:59 pm    

If I were in the market for a new guitar I'd either buy a Fessenden or a Rittenberry.
Two class act builders and great sounding, playing guitars.
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson & more
wcedgar.com

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 7:40 pm    

Mullen. Smile Smile Smile

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 9:44 pm    

Rittenberry is right there where you live. Gary is very good to cater to what you would like and want in a guitar. They are a very favored guitar.

Eddy Dunlap

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2015 4:05 am    

Mike, I've looked around for a while to find a guitar that was on the same level in quality and sonic character as my D-10 Franklin and found it in Jeff Surratt's Show-Pro guitars. All of the bell cranks, cross shafts, changer mechanism, etc that they drafted and prototyped are professionally manufactured and cut by laser milling machines that are used by large CNC machine shops.
The lacquer finishes are done by Steven Fazio of Southbound Custom Inc. here in town(They do all kinds of spray, lacquer, paint, custom work, and even electronic work. They build guitars in house as well. They're artist portfolio includes Brad Whitford from Aerosmith, Brian May's red special clones, etc.)
The cabinet work that Jeff Surratt and John Stokes do is incredible! They only buy hard, aged maple from specific wood suppliers that other musical instrument and guitar manufacturers use. They always have some really pretty quilted, and flamed textured wood around as well.
I'm on my third guitar, and I'm extremely happy with everything they've built for me. They're balanced, have plenty of sustain, and sound consistent on each string all over the fretboard. It's a great recording guitar and is being used on a lot of the hit records that are being played today.
The customer service is second to none as well! Jeff and Gloria Surratt are the most down to earth people who love what they do and love to help others as well. There are so many great guitar manufacturers out there today and we're lucky to have so many choices to choose from!