The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  b0b, Tell us your experience in "owning" the forum
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2015 11:19 pm    

I am just curious what you have gained and what you have lost while curating the forum? Has it been a positive experience or a headache? Any good stories to tell. Any behind the scenes stuff you may have had to edit out worth mentioning(appropriate, Obviously if you edited it out, you didn't want it here)that comes to mind? Anything new to come in the future (categories, interaction, etc.) THanks

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 3:47 am    

Yeah b0b,
tell us how it's always so much fun Laughing

But really, tell us what we can do to make it better for you !

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 4:52 am    

On the 1st day, Bob built the forum for all of us to communicate with each other and post stuff

On the 2nd day he added the delete button

on the 3rd day he realized there were too many forum sections to keep up with so he added "moderators" who could use the delete button

All kidding aside, this is by far the best forum I participate in as well as the most informative and the most fun.

thx bob

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 6:40 am    

Oh boy, is this a roast? Should it go directly to Humor?

Here is the Grand Sysop's First Post:

And who can forget, from the topic 'Leave me alone, b0b'?

He can even foretell the future by now:

Last edited by Charlie McDonald on 23 Feb 2015 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 6:48 am    

b0b by far has been the best friend PSG ever had. The knowledge available in this Forum (if you'll take the time to look for it), is invaluable. There is not only information about copedents, but tab offering, stories of technical issues and how they were solved, music theory, where else could you get this for a one time fee of $5? This Forum to me is a priceless treasure.

I will admit we give b0b issues from time to time, but I believe that to be because we are so passionate about our instrument, we get a little too zealous. I freely admit to having been that way a few times and hope b0b will accept my apologies.

Thank you b0b, for all that you do for us, deeply appreciated.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 7:18 am    

This is a great forum. I've not been around here a ton but I've learned a lot more musically here in that short time than on any other guitar/music site I've been on.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 7:37 am    

B0b should be in the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame. He's done more with this forum to promote steel guitar than anyone I know of. Even though b0b is a player too, the SGHOF is not just steel players. this forum is the place where steel guitar players from all over the world come to share, buy, sell, announce, communicate, socialize, mourn, congratulate, symphatize, encourage, debate, question, etc... If anyone agrees with me, maybe we should ask that b0b be formally considered for membership.

RC

Last edited by Rick Campbell on 20 Feb 2015 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 7:59 am    

Rick I'm thinking someone had nominated him, not sure I'd have to search back. But if they haven't I'll be happy to do so.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 1:35 pm    

B0b should be in the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame. He's done more with this form to promote steel guitar than anyone I know of. Even though b0b is a player too, the SGHOF is not just steel players. this forum is the place where steel guitar players from all over the world come to share, buy, sell, announce, communicate, socialize, mourn, congratulate, symphatize, encourage, debate, question, etc... If anyone agrees with me, maybe we should ask that b0b be formally considered for membership.

RC

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 1:43 pm    

What Rick said...twice.
Those of us who started playing eons before the internet really know how valuable the Forum is.
Here's to you, b0b...you really made a difference.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2015 6:55 pm    

Skip Edwards wrote:
What Rick said...twice.
Those of us who started playing eons before the internet really know how valuable the Forum is.
Here's to you, b0b...you really made a difference.

I didn't post it twice intentionally. I think my back button went hyperactive and did that, but I'm going to leave it anyway. I know what you mean about the old days. I remember making several phone calls trying to find out something that now, thanks to b0b, the answer is a few clicks away.... and it's so full of resources, 24/7, 365 days per year. I would have been a much more knowledgable and better player if I had had the forum available to me when I was young and getting started in music. I lived in a rural area and didn't have access to other players to learn from. The first steel guitar I saw in person was the first one I owned. I think b0b's contribution to the promotion of the steel guitar has certainly earned him a place in the SGHOF.

RC

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 4:24 am    

Yes, b0b for SGFHoF!

Thank you, b0b!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 6:46 am    

I've thought about it--b0b should have ALREADY been in the HoF. I agree with L'il Tony Prior. This Forum is like no other. I've learned a lot, since I joined up.

We may be small, but we're still puny!

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 9:53 am    

I've mentioned in other threads how very much I've personally gotten from forum membership and just hanging out here. For me at least, an irreplaceable resource and the font of much entertainment and education. Having watched a lot of what goes on over quite a few years, I can only imagine it's been both intensely aggravating and rewarding to juggle these cats, I'm sure. I really hope the rewards outweigh the irritations! Thanks, b0b. Really.

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 12:01 pm    

My thanks to you, b0b, also, and please, if you would, forgive me for enjoying, not only PSG, but also 5 string banjo, especially Bella Fleck's playing! Very Happy I spend more time on the forum, than anything else, on my computer! I enjoy, so much, talking shop with other pickers, and learning! -Jake-

Gary Cooper

Atmore, Alabama
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 4:51 pm     bOb

bOb, through this forum, has brought more steel players together than any other person on this planet. I have learned a lot from the members of this forum and also made some new friends. bOb should be in the Hall of Fame because of his significant contributions to the steel guitar and those of us who try to play. No one is more deserving.

Larry Waisner

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 7:16 pm     b0b

I am sure most of us have sent b0b a thank you email if not several. In my personal communications with b0b I have found a very honest and humble gentleman with integrity to share. He has been the strength and backbone of this Forum since it's inception.
Thanks again b0b for what you do.
Larry

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 10:09 pm     Knowledge of all sorts found on The Forum

My wife also reminds me how Forumites from all walks of life share their expertise with us.

If one has a question and posts, there are usually well-thought out answers forthcoming, sometimes conflicting answers but answers nonetheless.

Thanks for all the years of your time and effort, b0b.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 1:36 am    

Without a doubt bOb should be in inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. This is the only forum I've ever participated in on a regular basis. It is an endless resource for info about everything related to steel guitar. I always tell newbies to join the steel forum. I joined the "Tele Forum" once and they cancelled my membership because I didn't log in enough and then they wouldn't let me rejoin using the same email address. Rolling Eyes

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 7:00 am    

Being in the HoF would be great I agree but he can't eat it. Send him $5 like I just did and let's show our appreciation in a tangible way. This is the best run forum on the internet! Thanks b0b

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 10:10 am    

b0b is a good man to do business with, too. If he sells you something (in my case, a speaker, and a Fulltone pedal), count on it being just as described, and fairly priced. And he's not one of those guys who expect the buyer to pay PayPal fees and shipping. He goes by the rules.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 5:24 am    

I expected it. I considered it for what it is. Freedom. There are still folks around that have integrity and do what is expected.
I think we as a Nation have lost a lot of freedom and that has lowered our aspirations or in other words we have accepted being happy in the bliss of low Expectation exceeded.
So just let me say Thank you b0b
Stuart Legg

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 7:26 am    

Stuart Legg wrote:
in the bliss of low Expectation exceeded.
So just let me say Thank you b0b
Stuart Legg

That's actually deep Stuart. He does exceed expectation, doesn't he?

However, we're here to praise caesar, not to bury him.
I'm reminded of the words of Dick Wood:

Buddy finally shsowed. Where's b0b?
Quote:
I expected it.

It's his roast, and he hadn't shown, but Stuart and I had no expectations. A wise man eschews fame and keeps busy.

Where else but this forum could I learn to do all these cool things with 'computer code,'
to praise his name and bring in new converts, acolytes to steely wisdom and the ways of copedence?
Who else but the Wizard of Cloverdale could combine rhythmbots and guitar strings, while juggling threads
and dodging threats and still have time to play music, not to mention Mrs. Lee?

SGHOF? Hah. Entertainer of the Year. Very Happy Shocked Surprised Cool

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2015 7:36 am    

It has been my "expectation" and experience that b0b has never enjoyed being in the limelight. To me, it seems he would prefer not injecting himself into any discussion unless he felt he had something unique to add or discuss. In other times, he had to inject himself to "straighten out" potentially explosive situations before they ignited into something no one really needed to happen.

I would also think the size and energy of this forum has exceeded even his expectations, and also probably the amount of his energy it takes to oversee it's development and growth.

Thank you again b0b, for this forum and so many other things that you have contributed along this journey, deeply appreciated.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 4 Mar 2015 5:29 am    

If you haven't checked out some of bOb's music, I think you should. It's a real treat. He was generous enough to send me a copy of Wine Country Swing along with an order a while back, and I was really impressed with the inventive nature of his playing, as well as the music itself. A true original.

For everything he has done for the steel guitar in this difficult era of throwaway music and fast food instrumentation, I think recognition from the SGHOF would be a minimal consolation prize for the resources bOb provides. I don't think I would have got into this deal a couple years ago if it was not for this place.
I still don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Laughing