The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody using a Carvin BX 500 amp?
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 7:20 pm    

What are the pro's and con's on this amp? How do you like it compared to other amps? What speaker (or speakers) have you tried with it? What speaker cabinet are you using?

I might be a player on one of these before long. I like the features and the price. Could be a winner.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 7:57 pm    

George, here's mine, I got the optional rack mount kit and installed the amp in a cabinet that I bought here on the forum. I'm using a Sica 15" 8 ohm speaker. The amp is 300 watts at 8 ohms. The whole thing weighs about 35 lbs.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2015 9:01 pm    

I love mine, and made a mod to make it sound better with steel, though you might not want to void your warranty. Search my posts.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 7:55 am     Anybody using a Carvin BX 500 amp?

Bill thanks for the photo and for your comments on this subject under "Amplifiers" Beautiful rig, I must say. I was glad to see what the optional rack ear system looks like. BTW, I assume that the settings in the photo are your settings. This could come in handy if I get one of the amps.

Glenn, I did a search and read about your mod. Voiding a warranty doesn't bother me much. Most of them are not worth the paper they are written on, especially if you have to pay shipping both ways to the service center. Unless it is something really major, it is usually a lot cheaper to just get them repaired locally.

I noticed that both you and Bill are using 15 inch speakers. Bill a Sica and you a Telonics. I have two 12 inch 8 ohm Telonics and I really like them. I would try one of them first with the Carvin before jumping to a 15. I don't need low C-6 bass notes anyway.

Bill is happy with his Sica speaker and no mods to the amp. You are happy with the Telonics, but only after you did a mod. Could the different speakers be the reason for the mid problem that you had? My 12 inch Telonics are clean and smooth with no mid problems. I hate mid's and I am a little concerned that the Carvin will have mid's that I can't get rid of without a mod. No way of knowing without trying one. I am interested in other's opinions if they have had mid's that are hard to tame on this amp.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 8:23 am     Carvin BX500

I ordered one a couple of days ago. I will be using it with one or two Tommy Huff cabs that I have with 15" EPS 15 speakers. After reading comments by Bill, and also Jack Stoner, I'm sure there is enough eq. on the amp to dial in any sound you want. I would think that your 12" Telonics speakers would work just fine, and give you plenty of bass.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 2:23 pm    

George, your speakers should work just fine. I like the Sica 15 in this cabinet, I have also tried Black Widow 15, and a Celestion 400s neo 15, they all sound good to me. I've also tried a couple of Eminence speakers, both 15 and 12, They're good too.

There is so much eq available, I don't see the need to modify the amp at all. The low and high mid adjustments cover a very wide range. The graphic eq can add or cut a very large amount also.

Here is another picture of my amp settings, I have several guitars, and change them a little, when needed. Usually, I just cut the treble and increase the bass if needed. On the graphic eq, I have the bass boosted just a little, the 800hz is dropped down and the highest treble sliders are down a little. It takes a little time to get the most from this double eq arrangement.

I've also found that everything sounds better if I run my effects through the effects loop. I use the Digitech RP155 for effects. Another thing to pay attention to, there is quite a bit of distortion available if you want to use it. For a clean sound turn the master volume up, and keep the "drive" control low. You can see in my picture, I have the drive set to zero, and still have lots of volume for the practice room. At a gig, I would turn up the master to about 7 and bring the drive up a little, as needed. The distortion comes when the master is low and the drive turns up higher. I really like this amp!

Mark Fowler

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 2:35 pm    

Bill that is one nice looking unit and I like Carvin gear great products.

Mark

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 2:41 pm    

The BX500 has a lot of tone shaping capability. When I got it, I could get a pretty good tone, but had to mess with the Contour, Hi Mid parametric, and even the graphic to get the mids where I like them. It felt like "flat" wasn't really flat, and I was fighting something. Maybe I should have left well enough alone, but I did some measurements, and saw when the controls were flat, there was a high boost: it was +3dB at 850Hz, and continued to increase to a +5dB shelf at 5kHz. The reason for this boost was C118. I called Carvin, and they said "Oh, yeah, we did that to add punch and presence to a bass tone". I removed C118(actually just unsoldered it and left it standing up unconnected in case I wanted to put it back in someday), and the amp then measured perfectly flat with all controls in the flat position - except the Contour control: flat is actually at 9:00, and not all the way to the left. I now leave the graphic off, and everything flat except the Contour at 2:00 and the Hi mid at -12dB and 580Hz.
Oh yeah, the tube preamp is great. I love the amp too. I have my speaker in a box behind me with my amp to my right on the floor looking up at me. I have to turn knobs with my picks on, but its better than falling backwards off my seat to reach the amp behind me.

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 2:48 pm     Bx500

Bill,
Thanks for the close up of your settings. I will try those when my amp arrives. It was picked up in San Diego yesterday by UPS and they expect to deliver it to me tomorrow in BC Canada. I sent you a PM last weekend to thank you for your comments you sent to me about the amp, but it must not have gone through. I used to have an RP155 too at one time, but prefer the simplicity of single pedals. Right now I'm using TC Electronics Hall Of Fame reverb and Flashback delay. I'll be sure to try the effects loop with my effects. I've always had them in line after the volume pedal before. Thanks again for the info, George

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 3:16 pm    

Here are some pictures of my setup. Initially I just used the amp by itself when I was trying it out. After I decided it was a keeper, I ordered the rack mount and the Carvin two space rack case. Only think if anyone orders one, don't order the cover for the rack case as it doesn't really fit. I sent mine back. I have a D2F cover which fits and has extra padding on the front (knob) side.

I'm using an Eminence EPS-15C speaker.

George Macdonald

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2015 4:00 pm     Bx500

Jack,
That looks great. Does the rack case come covered in that tolex in your picture? If so, I want one. Am I correct in assuming that the first two items in the accessories are what I should order? Thanks, George

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2015 3:39 am    

George, see my PM to you.

The covering for the rack case has several options (at no extra cost) and the tweed was one of them.

My speaker cabinet is covered in tweed, so I ordered the tweed for the rack case. However, the tweed used in the rack case appears to be just a tolex "imitation" lacquered tweed.

The settings for the amp are not exactly what is shown in the picture. The knobs got moved as I was taking several pictures of the rack case.

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2015 5:43 am     Carvin

Jack I see you have what look's like an amp cover the speaker is sitting on. I have one like that on my 112 it is a really tough cover but haven't been able to find who make's them. Mine was on amp when I bought it can also use it to sit the amp on. Wes

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2015 8:14 am    

That was made by a guy that used to work for Bobbe Seymour. I forget his name. It was made originally for my Nashville 112. When I built the cabinet for the 15" Eminence EPS-15C I made it the same dimensions as the Nashville 112 except it had to be 1" taller to accommodate the 15" speaker. Thus I can use the cover with the speaker cabinet.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2015 9:31 am     Anybody using a Carvin BX500 amp?

You guys really have me wanting to try one of these. It will have to wait until property taxes are paid, but I am definitely going to give one a try a little later.

Here is something that I did for a speaker cabinet when I had a Mesa Boogie split unit. I think it's a good idea and haven't heard of other's doing it. My 112 Valve King weighs about 40 LB and is the same size as a Nashville 112. It has a 12 inch Telonic's speaker in it and the Telonic's speakers has the spring loaded speaker wire connectors. So changing speaker wires is a 10 second job. I will disconnect the Valve King from the speaker and connect a long speaker cord with a 1/4 inch plug to plug into the Carvin. Now I have a speaker cabinet that is also an amp, should the Carvin die on me. Also if our guitar or fiddle player's amp dies, they can use the Carvin and connect the speaker wire to their speaker. I can reconnect the speaker in the VK and we have two amps up and running to finish out the gig.

The main reason I can see to have a cabinet with only a speaker in it is to cut down on the weight. Otherwise, I am in favor of using an amp for a speaker cabinet and just disconnecting the speaker. Plus you save a lot of money (or work) not having to invest in a speaker box and another speaker when something that you already have will work just about as well.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2015 9:37 am    

The speaker cabinet with the EPS-15C is 23 lbs.

I still have my MB200 amp so I have a backup if needed. I know electronics "break" as I used to be an amp tech, but I wouldn't really be concerned about an amp failure.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 6:50 am    

Jack, been told by Carvin dealer in UK, that BX500 has now been replaced by BX. 700, which is supposed to be upgraded 500,same controls with some added cosmetic changes.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 8:17 am    

I don't know. Both the 500 and 700 are listed on the Carvin site and both are available for purchase, according to the site.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 8:23 am    

Could just be a UK/Europe thing Jack, saw the 500 on Carvin site, but two dealers over here say it is not available, and say 700 is replacement, should make no difference tone wise , just the extra power.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.