The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Oahu, another question
Matt Sobolewski

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 9:19 pm    

This Oahu student lap steel is all plywood, correct? It does not have a square neck and is playing size to me.

Under the removable riser, I notice it has a nut cut for strings...although the action is way high just using the nut. Also, the bridge is pulling up a bit. Held on with nuts and bolts in there?

Now, were these designed to be played both as a steel string or, using the riser, as a lap steel?

I'm curious. It's nice and clean but I've only seen these with square necks.

Any info is appreciated. If it is meant to be used both ways, I can't imagine a neck reset (if indeed that's what it needs) would be worth it on a plywood guitar.

Thanks!

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 1:13 am    

It sure looks clean for an old guitar. Any idea how old it really is ?

I would guess that it's gonna be just a steel guitar if the neck & bridge need help, unless you can do it yourself. It might be fun to fix it !

Matt Sobolewski

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 3:09 am    

Judging by the case I would say the '30s. I would not be doing any repairs myself...as a steel it would be fine as is.

But that's the weirdest bridge I've ever seen on these particular instruments, and they all have them. All one formed piece (doesn't really lend itself to setups).

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 7:53 am    

Those old Oahu guitars varied quite a bit in quality.
The student models were built pretty cheap, after all, after you took so many lessons, they gave you the guitar.
However, there were some instructor models that were beautiful instruments. I started lessons on a very nice Oahu, the one with the large gold stencil on the lower bout. I wish I still had it. Sad

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 8:01 am    

That's pretty cool and looks to be in incredible shape. I haven't seen one that wasn't a squareneck, but if that's what you want you can get them for next to nothing if you keep your eyes open (I have one I paid just over a hundred bucks for one a couple of years ago) so I wouldn't mess with this one. It's too cool!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 11:03 am    

I've owned a couple of these student grade Oahu guitars. They were cheaply made, poor bracing, not worth putting any money into IMO. They are somewhat historical though and make excellent wall-hangers.

Matt Sobolewski

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 1:19 pm    

I didn't think it was solid wood. But why would there be a nut cut for strings under the riser? Were they originally playable? That's curious.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 2:03 pm    

I see them as having primarily wall hanging value too Doug, although I have had fun playing mine on occasion. I just love all the stories about people who were first exposed to steel guitar by the door-to-door Oahu salesmen. My Dad was enrolled in such lessons and no doubt played a guitar just like that - sadly it steered him away from steel guitar as he hated the classes.

Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 2:25 pm    

Matt, I had to do a double take when I saw your early vintage guitar. Just last night I got mine out [one almost like yours] and tuned it to low "C" to practice on. Had not played it for a number of years.

The one I have has a name plate of "May Bell" it was purchased in the mid 30's probably from [Sears or Wards] for my sister to take Hawaiian guitar lesson on. My mother loved that music. Later in life it was handed to me to do the same. It got me started.

The one I have has mother of pearl between the frets, or it looks like it. also it has pegs to hold the strings to the bridge. Pull the Peg and there is a little hold to drop the string into. It also has a metal nut with groves, but you can remove the nut and play it like strum guitar.

Mine sounds find, I'm sure they didn't cost much in the 30's who could afford more than a few dollars.

It's a keeper for me. Sentimental you know. I've sold guitars I wish I had back. but then hasn't every one!

John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 4:11 pm    

I have both round and square neck versions of this model.They are birch I think and sound ok for what they are (brass frets, warped wood from poor bracing, etc). I actually tried to do a neck reset on a round neck one once but when I got inside I was so surprised at the assembly quality and poor work at the neck joint that I just set it off to the side and never got back to it. These were never meant to be repaired. If one is playable it can be played, if not, don't waste the effort.
The higher grade Oahu models (spruce top) are a other matter.

Matt Sobolewski

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 7:01 pm    

Wayne D. Clark wrote:
Matt, I had to do a double take when I saw your early vintage guitar. Just last night I got mine out [one almost like yours] and tuned it to low "C" to practice on. Had not played it for a number of years.

The one I have has a name plate of "May Bell" it was purchased in the mid 30's probably from [Sears or Wards] for my sister to take Hawaiian guitar lesson on. My mother loved that music. Later in life it was handed to me to do the same. It got me started.

The one I have has mother of pearl between the frets, or it looks like it. also it has pegs to hold the strings to the bridge. Pull the Peg and there is a little hold to drop the string into. It also has a metal nut with groves, but you can remove the nut and play it like strum guitar.

Mine sounds find, I'm sure they didn't cost much in the 30's who could afford more than a few dollars.

It's a keeper for me. Sentimental you know. I've sold guitars I wish I had back. but then hasn't every one!

Sounds like you have an instructor's guitar...this has a one-piece bridge with no bridge pins. Or removable saddle for that matter.

I think mine is destined to stay a very clean-looking little student lap steel. No further work going into it, but probably will keep it tuned down way low because of the budget construction.

Thanks all again.

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2015 8:52 pm    

I have a tenor banjo here that I did some work on for a friend, and it also has "May Bell" on the headstock.
It's very well made though & not a cheapo...

Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2015 7:46 am    

Bill, it would be interesting as to who marketed under that name!

Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2015 8:03 am    

when in question, try Google. Well there is more there than expected. But in answer to my question. Slingerland Musical Instrument Co. was located in Chicago Il. during the 1930's and produced Guitars, Banjos Tenner Banjos and other instruments. Under the Name of May Bell. Hawaiian steel guitars and Banjos. They marketed what they called a parlor guitar, what ever that meant. "Birch wood construction Durable, Mellow tone, and easy to play"

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2015 8:20 am    

A parlor guitar usually means a guitar with a smaller body, as compared to a dreadnaught body.

Matt Sobolewski

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2015 4:55 pm    

As long as it has come up in this topic...I always considered a "parlor" guitar equivalent to the Martin Size 1 and anything under that particular size. For Martin guitars, the size "0" was the next size up from "1," and they look like just small concert guitars. This was all before the dreadnaughts of course which later became the larger, familiar size everyone recognizes as an "acoustic" guitar.

This birch Oahu student guitar is about a Martin size 1 or a hair smaller. The original case is nice to have, but I sure wish I could find a reasonable parlor guitar case for this thing...sliding a clean guitar in and out from the bottom is for the birds. I suspect this guitar was never out of this case much. Until now...ok, sidebar closed. Wink