The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Inserting a Hold
Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 7:50 am    

Does anyone know if it is possible to insert a hold, where everything stops for a couple beats? I can't seem to find that anywhere. I'm using 2015.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 8:51 am    

Yes, just put a period after the chord. Or for variances: Example:

"C." = complete silence
"C.." = chord sounds and stops
"C ..." = chord sounds and sustains

You can also specify which instruments do not rest by adding a letter to the sequence. Example: "C.d" will rest everything except the drums.

Hope this helps..

RC

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 9:23 pm    

Thanks for the response. What I'm doing is making some lesson tracks, for my grandson, for those old simple folk type songs. They would often just hold a note that didn't count on the score, the bird's eye symbol over the note. This would be for just a beat or two. I know how to insert a rest for a measure where nothing plays, but I don't know how to insert a pause that doesn't count and don't know if it is even possible. If I insert an extra bar I think it will rest for the two beats but then everything would be out of step by two beats. Sometimes picking simple songs isn't always simple. Talking about it has given me some new ideas though. Perhaps I could add a bar and change the time signature to 2/4 for just that bar and make that bar a rest only bar.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 9:42 am    

I think your on the right train of thought with the extra bar. Just remember that you have to change it back after this or it will effect the rest of the song. You might also consider changing the tempo for that bar to give you some other options to play with.

RC

Harry Dove

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 7:47 pm    

Thanks Rick. I was just thinking about that this afternoon and wondered if I could control the length of the pause by changing the tempo for that one bar. I haven't had a chance to work on it again yet. This 2015 version is a blast. About the only improvement I can think of would be an easier way to find the style you want. There are a lot of style to sort through in this version. Great sounding stuff when you're done though.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2015 8:59 pm    

Harry,

I agree about finding the styles. That's always been the hardest part for me too. The older midi styles gave you an example of the song the style was appropriate for in the style picker. The newer styles don't do that very much. Good luck in figuring out your song timing. I think your creative mind will find something that works. I've had a few songs that were troublesome like that and until I discovered the power of the right click and changing bar settings, i was very frustrated. I know what you mean about splitting the bars and it throwing everything off. I did this version on A-11 awhile back and the walk down required some creative timing things, but I got it to work.

http://youtu.be/dqwNPOJPJXE

RC