The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  We are a strange group
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 10:08 am    

So I have been working at home with my new expensive gear, dialing it in just right, not to many highs, just the right midrange, effects adjusted to the perfect levels.

Go to the gig, big room, stage volume, dancing girls, I can barely hear my amp let alone all of those great adjustments I worked so hard to tweek over the last 2 months.

Oh well I love the chance anyway and the band is very good, so maybe if I just adjust that reverb just a litttttle morrrrrrrrrrre!!!!@@@@##$#$$%^%^&^

Phone: 971-219-8533

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 10:22 am    

Do you have a volume control on your amp? Wink
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 10:35 am    

Do you have a volume control on your band?

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 11:17 am    

"We" are mostly shocked that someone with your knowledge and experience would even think all of your expensive equipment can be dialed in in your house and then be expected to sound the same on a bandstand.....or anywhere else for that matter.

Just so you don't feel badly, the cheaper stuff works the same way Whoa!

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 12:59 pm    

Steve I am not surprised, I only posted this for the benefit of others who may have had these same experiences to let them know they are not alone. Who is "WE" have I met her.

Bob I do use a volume pedal at the gigs, not at home, my Hilton does not affect my overall sound all that much that is why I like it.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 4:02 pm    

Ken Pippus wrote:
Do you have a volume control on your band?
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 4:05 pm    

As long as the audience is happy and the band pays on time, just play on with earplugs and enjoy the fact that you actually have a gig. Very Happy Winking

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 4:28 pm    

You can dink around with your sound at home ad infinitum, nine times out of ten, when you get on the gig all that time spent goes right out the window.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 4:44 pm    

And Larry, don't forget all the money you are making probably. Wink

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 5:16 pm    

Bill I spent $500 on needed gear for this band (keyboard, drop pitch pedal) made $100, so the price of the gear is on it's way down.

Ben Greene

San Antonio, Tx.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 5:21 pm    

When are you playing again Larry? I'd love to catch up and see the new band.

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 6:38 pm    

"We are a strange group

So I have been working at home with my new expensive gear, dialing it in just right, not to many highs, just the right midrange, effects adjusted to the perfect levels.

Go to the gig, big room, stage volume, dancing girls, I can barely hear my amp let alone all of those great adjustments I worked so hard to tweek over the last 2 months.

Oh well I love the chance anyway and the band is very good, so maybe if I just adjust that reverb just a litttttle morrrrrrrrrrre!!!!@@@@##$#$$%^%^&^"

My apologies Larry. Your original subject line and post clearly supports your explanation.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 7:09 pm    

Steve you may think you know me, but you do not. I am beginning to take offense from your posts here. Feel free to move on.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2015 8:27 pm     Keep up the good work!

STEVE.........this is YOUR forum too.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 6:56 am    

I can usually correct the "I can't hear myself" phenomena with amp placement. There are times when I haven't been able to control that though like when playing on a small stage with a large band. Last night was one of them playing on a two tier 6x6 stage at Burlington VT's Red Square.
Folks said I sounded fine but I get inspiration from hearing myself well.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 7:22 am    

Moderator, please close this thread.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 9:18 am    

let the over-reacting begin..

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 3:46 pm    

The OP's post is a great example of why "please post your amp settings" posts are pretty useless.

If you play in more than one place you will need to change amp settings - even amps.

Example - a large room with hard floors and hard parallel walls will; reflect sound, making reverb often redundant (it can really muddy up your sound); in small places, oddly-shaped rooms, carpets & curtains etc you might (usually will) need a smaller amp or your sound will be very thin and weak in most cases.

My points are that 1) tone and reverb (or delay) settings, including volume, need to be adjusted to the environment, and 2) unless you are always mic'd it's a good idea to have at least a couple of amps - one higher powered one for large halls and outside gigs, and a smaller, lower-powered one for small places.

If I don't know in advance what the stage situation is like (or how big the band is if I'm sitting in - that also makes a difference, as does *their* volume levels, the drummer's control etc) I always take at least 2 amps, and usually 3, no matter what style I'm playing.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 3:58 pm    

Were up in the stratosphere on this one.T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 4:56 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
let the over-reacting begin..

Too late.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 5:03 pm     Yes

There are people that give advice that do not know the whole story.

I have heard people tell me things that are not even close to the truth and some of the things that have been said about seats that flat do not know what they are talking about for example.

That has happened more than once.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 5:28 pm    

As a general rule, what sounds good in the living room or practice room will sound muddy in a large venue unless you have proper sound reinforcement. This is because high frequencies tend to drop off more quickly than lows the farther you get from the amp and the larger the space is that you're trying to fill.

This is why I ALWAYS mic my amp and make sure the sound I'm hearing in the mains and monitors is the same sound I'm getting from my amp. If it's not, I stay on the sound person until they fix it. If for some reason the sound person simply can't get that together and the sound check is turning ugly, you just have to do the best you can, which usually means rolling off some lows, messing with the mids, dialing up more highs.

David Shepack

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 6:07 pm     I think it helps to talk about this stuff. Here is my theory

Remember the old " Hi Fi " and car radios. They had a loudness button. It was a poor choice to name it that. It's function was to boost the highs and lows when you turned the volume down. I would guess that a lot of people play softer at home alone.

The reason the loudness button was needed is because amplifiers and speakers, have a harder time recreating highs and lows…. especially at low volumes.

To a certain extent the human ear, and the brain are geared to hear the frequency range of the human voice.

Now, see what happens when you get your ears checked. The audiologist will test your ears for sensitivity to volume and frequency. THEN test again with background noise. Sometimes they have you try concentrate on one voice while two are talking. It really throws off people with ear damage.

Another thing that comes into play is frequency dispersion. High frequencies are more unidirectional, and low frequencies are more omnidirectional. Another is that bass sounds get a little stronger when you get farther away, up to about 16 to 32 feet.

So…you get a guitar player and bass player with their sounds kinda going right passed them. So they turn up. ( plus they seem to need to be louder than the singer..just kidding …kinda )

So…bottom line, you need to adjust volume and EQ for each room while a bunch of musicians are all turning up to get a better sound. Loud actually sounds better, contrary to what my momma used to try to tell me.
Gibson RB4 Banjo

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 6:27 pm    

110 wall receptacle-> Amplifier,reverb on 3or4-> volume pedal->Steel guitar? T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 25 Jan 2015 7:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2015 6:43 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
The OP's post is a great example of why "please post your amp settings" posts are pretty useless.

I do not agree that they are pretty useless. Shortly after I started playing the pedal steel I bought a Nashville 112 and had trouble coming up with a great pedal steel sound with the thing. I came here to search for folks asking for 112 settings and the discussions I found were indeed helpful. That doesn't mean that the settings I use at home would necessarily work anywhere else, but what I found here was a great help to me as a good starting point and ultimately led me to find the sound I wanted. What I found here was most definitely not useless. It was useful.