The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic

What do you prefer for the 1st string of C6th?
G
33%
 33%  [ 38 ]
D
66%
 66%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 114

Author Topic:  10 String C6th - D or G?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 2:39 pm    

Originally, the top string of the C6th neck was tuned to G. Then Buddy Emmons tuned his to D, and a lot of players followed his lead.

I wonder how far this change has propagated in the community. Are just the old-timers playing with high G, or are new guys using it to?

I prefer D, by the way. That's my vote.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 3:55 pm    

I use a mid gage for the D string so I can manually tune it up to a G or back down to a D. Of course the C to C# change on the 3rd string gives you back a few of the G string inversions 3 frets up when you have the D on top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 4:20 pm    

I'm an oldtimer, and I prefer D. I would really love to have a 12 string C6 neck. The first string would be a D. The second would be a B. Third would be a G, and on down the line. That would give me the best of both worlds.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 4:37 pm    

I'm a 69 year old kid and I have a D on first. Some of us never grow up.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 5:53 pm    

After 30 years of D-10 steel ownership, I'm still ambivalent about it. I have the D now, but I can't say I prefer it. I used to have the G, with a knee lever that raised the 3rd string to D with a half stop at C#, and I liked that a lot.

Not having a preference, I can't vote. That means I can't see the results of the poll. Maybe someone could post them?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 5:57 pm    

Right now it's 17 to 3 in favor of D, Brint.

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 6:16 pm     1st string

Interesting. I wondered why the D string thing came about. When you buy strings they call it G string. I have mine tuned to D cause of a Herb Steiner instruction material.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 6:25 pm    

Wow, what a great question!

Just received a 10-string lap steel that I have been busy whipping into shape (needs new plastic buttons on the Klusons, among other things). Would prefer some form of C6, but have yet to decide whether to install a D or a G in the first string position.

Have used a high G on my D-10 since I purchased it in about 1977. Anxious to hear all of the arguments, either way.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 6:45 pm    

G on top. Pedal 5 pull to G#. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 6:57 pm    

My MSA came to me with a D, but I changed it to a G. I can see how useful the re-entrant D is, but I was so devoted to the Black Album and Steel Guitar Jazz and trying to learn as much of that stuff as possible that I wanted to start there. But what I really would want is both strings, in an 11-string format (I'm not sure which string I'd prefer in which position though). It seems like there would be some demand for that, but other than older ZBs, I've not seen any modern 11-strings, and not on the C6 neck. Seems like a missed opportunity, for the players if not the builders - I'd play a D-11 in a heartbeat if I could!

I voted G though, because I'm sticking with it for now - and I'm certainly not an "old-timer" (although turning 44 in a couple of weeks definitely doesn't make me feel young by any means)....

Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 7:35 pm    

When I bought my Sho~Bud 2.5 years ago, the C6 neck came with a G on top. Not having a clue what to do (with either neck) I bought a bunch of Jeff Newman study material, and he thought the C6th should have a D on top, so I changed it pretty quickly.

I don't play much C6; but when I do, I am glad I have the D on top for a little chromatic variation rather than just another chord note. In fact earlier today, before I even saw this thread, I watched Jeff's C6th and Swinging video for a little refresher...

Mike

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 7:38 pm    

On my pedal steel I use G on top. But on the non-pedal C6th I use D . So I like and use both of them and find each configuration offers advantages and disadvantages. On the pedal steel I just got used to certain licks that required G on top. I tried using D on top but switched back to G.
Herby Wallace told me that he preferred G on top. So on the poll do I get two votes ?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 10:24 pm    

Doug Jernigan still uses both. When he needs it for certain songs, he tunes his first string G down to D. I don't know what gauge he uses, but I would guess a .012 or maybe a .013.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 12:54 am    

I have a pedal that raises 3 and 7 to C#, and P5 is on a knee.
I tune 1 to D, and when I want the 5 on top, I engage the C raises and P5. If I do that and put the bar on 3td fret are FACEGACEGF.
Looks just like strings 1-9 of C6th.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 2:17 am     Re: 1st string

Wayne Ledbetter wrote:
I have mine tuned to D cause of a Herb Steiner instruction material.

Me too. But Emmons material also. I'm guessing his idea to tune down to D came from the interlaced strings he put on top of the E9. And he recommends C->C# on 3 (in conjunction with P5) to compensate for the lost voicing that Lane describes.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 3:07 am    

I have the G. I've tried the D several times but keep missing licks or licks that are easier with a G so I go back to the G.

Herby Wallace used the G. Didn't hurt his picking.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 4:31 am    

I have D on top but have been thinking about trying out a G. I think most people still do use D though.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 4:36 am    

Back in 1978 I was sitting home trying to play along with Minors Aloud, which had just come out. I had read Buddy was using a D on top so after playing around for a while I tuned the top string down to D ( man, was it floppy!)and everything just fell into place. Never looked back.

You can get the "G on top voicing " three frets up if you have the C-C# change. If you don't have that you can get two frets further up with the 7th pedal.

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 6:29 am    

Larry Toliver got me to use the D but I must admit I miss my G, mainly because I came to pedal from non-pedal and still think that way when I play C6. I hope to break that habit someday.

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2015 8:08 am    

I have a G on top and rely on it. I play a lot of non-pedal stuff on the PSG and it just seems so natural. For western swing and Hawaiian chime lines, it is really handy. Also, it is closer to a dobro tuning like that, so I can move licks back and forth. I've learned many non pedal instrumentals with that G and I'd hate to have to play one of those on the spur of the moment with D on top and not being used to it. So, we are talking inertia here. However, I do feel there are advantages for my style of playing anyway.

I think Herby Wallace played G on top, right?

I have certainly fooled around with D on top and like it fine, but I just cannot do without my G, given that I've been playing tunes up there for decades now.

I do happen to own a Williams D11, which is not quite on the air yet, but will be this year, I hope. This would allow a G and a D, but unless that becomes the only steel I play and I sell my others, I don't think my brain could handle going between a D11 and D10.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2015 12:46 pm    

Since I learned my C6 from Buddy's book, I have a D. Of course, on my 8 string non-pedal steels, I have a high G, so I'm often wishing that I had a G there. I put the normal 4th pedal changes on my RKR, and I replaced them with C to C# raises for both C's. With the 4th and 5th pedals down, this gives me an A6 which, at the 3rd fret gives me the 1st inversion of the C chord with a G on top. btw, the 2nd inversion is the usual C7 at the 7th? (I'm 2000 miles from my pedal steels, on Oahu to play Hawaiian for a couple of weeks) fret. It really helps having that 1st inversion.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2015 1:23 pm    

my first c6 neck came with a g. that was in the 70's. i soon changed it to d which enables cool lines to be played. more versatile. now i'm 66. i thought it was an emmons development.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2015 1:56 pm    

I like the concept of the high 'D", but never really got the hang of it.

Other than the tonic 6/9 chord & odd scale lick, I just don't use it much. I've kept it on there anyway and my New Year's resolution is to getting more involved with it.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2015 7:58 pm    

G on top and drop the E to D on a knee. Whee!
<-I'm a poet.

There's a whole world of forward and backward slants on C6th, but it's complicated. Especially with pedals... I need to have that one little comfort of a couple of pairs of strings being in the right place, to start with.

Eugenio Poppi

Italy
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2015 10:40 pm    

I tune to D. Eugenio