The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PayPal question
Darrell Trammell

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 7:02 pm    

I have a offer on my steel locally on Craig's list. They want to pay with paypal. I have never used it before. What kind of scams do I need to look out for? Buyer is in NY wants to send 999.00 for shipping and have a currier pick it up. Something doesn't sound right.
What should I do? Thanks for advice.
Darrell

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 7:27 pm    

Go to PayPal web site and read the security section. I think once PayPal is involved your pretty safe. Go read the security section and if your questions are not answered you can call them .

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 7:49 pm    

That's a really old scam. Read about it here.

http://www.antifraudnews.com/paypal-scams/

Darrell Trammell

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 8:10 pm     paypal

Yeah I knew it was a scam wants to send me 999.00 for currier to pick up. But wants me to send western union ck to them before money is credited to my account. I will b calling them tomorrow. Seems like someone is always out to screw someone.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 8:40 pm    

PayPal is the safest way to buy and sell on the internet, you send him your PayPal ID, and when they deposit the money you can ship your guitar, make sure you do all the dealings on the official PayPal website... as soon as they mention Western Union run, PayPal has nothing to do with Western Union

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 8:46 pm    

Quote:
You find in your Inbox an email from ‘PayPal’, confirming that the funds have been paid to you and are on hold until the Item is dispatched and you provide a Tracking Number.

PayPal will never tell you they are holding the funds, they will send you an email when the funds are available, something like "your funds are now available, and you can ship your item"... always go directly to www.PayPal.com web site, don't click on the links in buyers emails, and NO Western Union or giving cash to anyone...

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 8:48 pm     Re: paypal

Darrell Trammell wrote:
I will b calling them tomorrow...
Maybe call the FBI instead? I've heard of them setting up stings for creeps like this...

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 9:09 pm    

What Jim said. There is no reason you should have anything to do with these guys and if you do manage to talk to someone nothing that you will be told will be true. And you don't want to give them any more information about yourself than they already have.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 2:51 am    

it has nothing to do with PAYPAL, lets make that clear right away. Scammers have a program which scan Craigslist adds for certain words and then send out messages based on those words. Literally thousands everyday. The sad news is some sellers still respond. We can't stop them from sending notes via Craigslist but we can recognize them in a NY minute from the conversation..CURRIER is an interesting word ! Oh and this, "Kindly send me your bank draft information so I can attend to this quickly" one of my favorites ! I get these messages for pretty much everything I sell on Craigslist.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 5:17 am    

James - I clicked on your attachment and my virus detection blocked it - Not sure what is going on there

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 5:41 am    

Run, Forrest, run!

Another common tip-off to a scam is the one about "I'm out of town on a fishing boat (or extended business trip, or offshore oil rig, etc, etc) and won't be back for a few months, but here's how we can do the deal......."

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 6:13 am    

Darrell, All of the above advice is good. Don't go near it with any info. Buyer sends you money order or cashier check and then you ship. Wish you good luck on your rig. Sure is BEAUTIFUL J.R.

Darrell Trammell

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 9:30 am     paypal

Thanks everyone for the comments. I kinda thought it was a scam called PayPal today. Just as I thought! I emailed scamer back no response. The old saying buyer beware. Now it's seller beware.
JR good to hear from you I hope everything is going good your way
Thanks Darrell

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 9:44 am    

I can't add anything to the above except: I have been selling my books on the net using PAYPAL for 15+ years---NO PROBLEMS, BUT BE AWARE OF YOUR BUYER.

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2015 11:04 am    

As others have said dealing on the internet Paypal is the way to go. I have had probably 100 transactions since PayPal began and a couple I was saved on because of PayPal.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 4:24 am     Need Paypal Telephone Nubmer Of Paypal Security

Fourmites,

DOES ANYONE HVE A TELEPHONE NUMBER I CAN USE TO TELEPHONE PAYPAL SECURITY FROM OUTSIDE THE USA. I AM IN CHINA.

On October 7th I had my Paypal account blocked due to "suspicious activity"

i was given a site to contact by Paypal and tried to use it to resolve the issue but when I use my password, Paypal does not even allow me to go in and explain the problem.

I'd like to contact them by telephone but could not find that telephone number

Thanks,
Stevet

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 6:15 am    

PayPal protects buyers much more than sellers. I would avoid that transaction.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 7:03 am    

My rule of thumb regarding Craigslist is:
"ONLY DEAL LOCALLY WHEN USING CRAIGSLIST!!"
I did have one guy that answered a CL ad for a steel. He was in Michigan..... we spoke on the phone and I told him that I would list on eBay and send him a link. We worked out a price with shipping. He bought it and paid via PayPal. No problems..... I had to pay the eBay fees of course, but I had double protection.(eBay and PP) plus his identity was proved to me somewhat as he had an eBay account with 150 or so 100% positive feedback.
I swear if the scammers on line would put the effort that they put into scamming into a legitimate business they could do just as well (if not better) financially.

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 7:21 am    

I constantly get emails saying it is from Paypal and I need to log on to my account. I never open these and I forward them to paypal at spoof@paypal.com. I always get a reply from them thanking me for sending it and that it was not from them.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 7:33 am    

The reason scammers use Western Union, FedEx, or UPS for transfer of funds is that using USPS in a scam is Postal Fraud, which is a federal CRIME, not a civil dispute.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 1:13 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
The reason scammers use Western Union, FedEx, or UPS for transfer of funds is that using USPS in a scam is Postal Fraud, which is a federal CRIME, not a civil dispute.

that is correct, I always mail payment in USPS money orders, via USPS priority mail, and request a signature , if anyone is stupid enough to try to scam that, he will end up dealing with US postal inspectors, and federal penitentiary system....

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 1:21 pm     Re: Need Paypal Telephone Nubmer Of Paypal Security

steve takacs wrote:
I was given a site to contact by Paypal

I bet you it was not from PayPal, and you clicked on the link to some phishing site where they stole your PayPal logging info...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 1:26 pm    

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 3:58 pm    

I would bet Damir is right! They are trying a similar one on Apple where they say you bought something you would never by and to cancel it you log in. Then they have your password and ID. Be careful.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 4:53 pm     Thanks JIm, Peter and everyone chiming in

Jim and Peter,
Thanks for your taking the time to help. . I was going to call Paypal today but thought I would try getting into my account with my old password and it worked.I could see all my transactions for the last half year. I also sent a friend $2.00 and the transaction showed up as a debit in my account.

This was a spoof email, no doubt. Peter and Damir, I DID NOT click on the link

Hereis the offending email. Hah, I don't' even have a Windows device:

"Team-PayPal <info>
Reply|
Fri 10/6, 8:39 PM
You
This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. Show blocked content
E html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
PayPal

Dear user

Your Paypal account has just been used to connect Chrome to a Windows device.

Why do you receive this e-mail? We take the security very seriously and we would like to inform you about important actions that affect your account.
Do you recognize this activity?

Windows
Saturday October 70, 2017, 06:46 (hour : Hong Kong)
Hong Kong*
Chrome
We could not determine if you used this browser or your device in the past with your account. This may happen when you first log in to a new computer or phone or browser, use browser privacy mode, delete cookies, or have third-party access to your account

Your account is temporarily disabled for security reasons Please log in to review your information to re-enable it
Sign in to activate your account

Consumer advisory: Pay-Pal Pte Ltd, the Holder of the Pa-yPalâ„¢ payment stored value facility, does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Consumers (users) are advised to read the terms and conditions"

Thanks,
Stevet