The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Responses to "Steel on the Web"
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 4:48 am    

When bOb and I first decided to create this section of the forum a few years back, they was much excitement and response to the postings.

Nowadays, it seems like many people read the post but VERY few take the time to respond on the forum or on YouTube itself.

Are we burnt out with these postings or is it just because we are flooded with Steel On The Web?

Whether it be me or anyone else, there is considerable time involved in these postings. I know that from my archives, I have to dig through countless video tapes just to find "the right songs" of the greatest steel players in the world. Then I have to convert the video tape to digital before I can post to YouTube.

I guess what I am asking is:
1. If you take the time to watch a video, please respond, even if you don't like it. This way we know what to post next.
2. Let the people that post video's know that you appreciate their efforts, each and every time.

For without these video's, the tallent and names of the GREAT steelers will be lost forever.

I have even had young players send me emails asking:
"Just who is the BIG E?"

That is sad.

Thanks,
Bill Ferguson
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 5:45 am    

I greatly appreciate the videos, Bill, and thank you for taking the time to make them available. As many of the masters are getting older or have sadly passed on I think it's important for the history and survival of the instrument for people to be able to see these performances. It's a great recruiting tool for new guys interested in the world of pedal steel and to show them exactly what is possible. It also can serve as a motivational tool for all of us and is a great reminder of why we love this instrument. So...Happy New Year and, if possible, yes please, keep 'em coming!

Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 5:45 am    

You are right Bill. Eventhough they might not acknowledge I know they enjoy each video that anyone takes the time to post cause I sure do. And yes, it does introduce players to people who would never known of them had it not for the videos. I want to thank you personally for the effort you put into posting these videos and look forward to many more!

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 5:50 am    

Quote:
Are we burnt out

Bill, I'll assume the "we" is a question posted to registered Forum members, non-members can't post a response. Some of your posted vids have close to two hundred thousand hits with many others having tens of thousands of hits. I don't believe bOb's Forum has that many register members with most participants opting out in respond to your query. So, having said that, you should consider the amount of hits your vids have accumulated. I believe that will answer the burnt out question, which will render a NO.

Quote:
I have even had young players send me emails asking:
"Just who is the BIG E?"

That is sad.

That is NOT sad! If it wasn't for your vids, no interest would have prompted the young folks to ask questions. Bottom line, if you see newly posted vids with minimal viewing hits, then you'll know your time has been wasted. Meanwhile, keep posting.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 5:50 am    

I am not just talking about my videos. I will keep posting.

I am talking about videos in general. there just doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Nigel Mullen

Cassilis, New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 5:51 am    

Bill: I love the videos. I must admit though that I rarely respond just out of laziness I guess. Keep them coming and I will do better in future. Really appreciate what you do. Sincerely NM

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 8:02 am    

I read the posts and check out the music every day, background music to trolling the forum.
The fact that there are more tunes than one can reply to is a good thing.
I appreciate having the resource this handy, to hear what's going on.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 8:19 am    

It’s sad that we live in such a fast passed world and have sooooo much stuff coming our direction that we may actually do more grazing than actually digesting some of the tasty morsels that come out way...I apologize for being guilty of this from time to time...I’ll try to do better, because I do appreciate and enjoy so many of the Steel on the Web videos that you and other post...

Please keep them coming,

Dale
steelinatune
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Robert Rhea

Panama City, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 8:58 am    

This is a fantastic section of the forum. Viewing a video and not responding sometimes means, "I'm just lazy", while other times means, "I have to go try and play what I just saw." Not taking the time to respond doesn't mean we don't appreciate the effort involved in posting the video. Most of the time, we just go away with a smile on our face without posting a reply. I wish I had this media back in the mid-70's when I first tried playing the steel. After a 35 year break, ALL of these and other videos are increadibly helpful in learning, as well as being able to watch the masters play. Thanks to ALL for posting and making this forum a wonderful place to hangout.

Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 10:08 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
I am not just talking about my videos. I will keep posting.

Good I look forward to your posts.

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 2:24 pm    

Bill, Thanks for all you do and for keeping our hero's alive. That goes for all the postings made by you and others. I try to watch and learn as I go. Sometimes the wife gets neglected as I stare in a trance on my blue screen demon, sometimes drooling over the sounds I hear. It's a wonderful way to spend winter days and nights. I never get enough.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 6:03 pm    

Thanks Bill for bringing this topic up. I have to admit I have to be on top of the list for not replying as I should. I have posted several myself and watched many more. Steel On The Web is one of my first stops on the forum. I enjoy seeing videos of my fellow steel players regardless of what level they play. I for one intend to take more time and comment more that what I have.

Tony Tipton

Wagoner,Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 6:42 pm    

Bill, Steel on the web is one of my first stops on the forum as well . I never really thought about it , but I haven't posted much on topics and videos , which have helped my playing. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to post the videos,etc. Tony

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 6:52 pm    

Believe me, Bill - I never get burned out with the videos you post. Sometimes we may seem to take what you do for granted, but I believe it is truly appreciated by many.

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 7:49 pm     videos, etc.

Hey Bill, hate I missed you at the last Gulfport show but sometimes playing dates and shows don't always work out the way we want. That's ok though, the next one should be to where playing schedules don't present a problem. Your videos are first class, all the way. Personally, I sometimes spent hours just watching different videos and such, including yours. You have my support, 100%. It would be a plus for comments to be left after videos are watched. I'll be sure and do that and we'll see you somewhere down the road buddy. Thanks for all you do for all of us ole steel pickers.

Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2015 9:05 pm    

Bill, I watch your videos too. They are all excellent and you have material that will never be repeated. Exceptional performances.
Your hard work and dedication is much appreciated.
Blake