The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why does Peterson SP9 tuning exist?
David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 2:04 pm    

Peterson gurus, what the purpose of the SP9 tuning? Peterson says to use it for tuning pedal/levers in conjunction with the SE9 tuning for open. Why the need for a separate tuning? The last time I checked pedal/levers gave you different notes to open. That's the whole point Smile It's not very convenient to have to switch between the two.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 2:10 pm    

I think I remember seeing that some players might tune 2 strings with the same note to a different offset on different pedals to sound more in tune with the chord that the pedal(s) makes.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 4:55 pm    

You can program everything into one program, in the StrobOPlus HD if you want. I have mine set up that way both the opens and the pedals/knee levers in one.

Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 6:17 pm    

I use Jack's program in my Stroboplus HD. Having all the settings in one program is the best way to go.

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 8:35 pm    

That is kinda strange. The Peterson VS11 and the StroboFlip done it all on SE9 and it seemed to work just fine Confused .
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 8:44 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I think I remember seeing that some players might tune 2 strings with the same note to a different offset on different pedals to sound more in tune with the chord that the pedal(s) makes.

Indeed that is correct. I have my open 2nd string tuned at -3.9 cents and the 4th string with LKR tuned at +2.0 cents. Those are both D#s in the same octave (D#4). http://tinyurl.com/jeffscopedent.

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 10:09 pm    

My assumption is this: The Newman chart has certain identical notes that have different cent values when achieved via pedals/levers versus via open strings, for example, the F# and D# achieved on the 4th E string via the C pedal and D lever, respectively, compared to the open 1st and 2nd strings. I know Peterson used to use Newman's chart(s) as the basis for their sweetened presets. If this is still true, you cannot truly achieve the tuning as envisioned by JN with only one preset.

David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 11:11 pm    

Thanks guys. Yeah, I guess it relates to the original Newman tuning and making the "pedaled/levered" chords in tune.

I was just curious about it. I have been using SE9 only with acceptable results. Only realized recently that there was also this SP9 tuning and was wondering if anyone used it. I am using the iPhone app rather than Stroboplus HD, Stroboflip etc.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2015 11:53 pm    

It's because the F# string is tuned differently from the F# note on 4th string, C pedal.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 6:46 am    

I have a Strobo HD and also have only been using the SE9 setting. It seems to work. I never realized I had to switch back and forth.

Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 7:43 am    

I use the Jeff Newman tuning for 30 years. then twek all my opens and pedal pulls to what my ears like. and so far never had any trouble playing with any one. only the banjo player whos always out of tune. Laughing I only use a tuner when I am on stage or loud place.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 2:14 pm    

Jack, is there anyway I can get your settings for HD?
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 2:20 pm    

I just use the Se9, and sometimes the other E9 setting, and my guitar sounds fine. I do wish the stroboflip had the ability to write in your other cent values. Maybe it does and I don't know. I'll have to check into that.

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 2:30 pm    

Iam with you Richard, I like it for the most part but the F# thing dont work for me with out tweking to my ear which could also be wrong, but it has got to sound good to the player I think.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 2:47 pm    

You are right Keith. The F#'s don't sound right with certain chords. The first string is not much of an issue for me, but 7th string is. I use that F# as part of the 6m chord with the pedals down, on string 5, 6, 7. It's a little iffy sounding to me. II also used it in the D chord (open position), pedals down, on string 9, 7, 6. The F# sounds different in those chords. I could just tune string 7 by ear to the 6m chord. That's what I use most.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2015 2:53 pm    

Malcolm, I sent you a PM.

I'll share my programs with anyone that wants them.

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 1:56 pm    

Jack I sent you a PM.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 2:14 pm    

Thanks Jack, got them, very helpful. Very Happy
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

John Scanlon

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 2:50 pm    

The only thing that has been off on my steels when I use the presets (either SE9 or 0E9) is the F lever, which is always waaaaaay flat in the AF chord. I know everyone says it's supposed to be flat, but it's painfully out of tune -- I have to tune that lever up a good bit to make it sound decent at all.

Don Ricketson

Llano, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2015 8:13 pm    

Well John, if you're using the StrobroPlus HD ya gotta use the SP9 mode. That oughta work. If not, I guess ya gotta tweak it a little.
2-Nashville 112

"Making The Stars Shine"

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2015 3:30 am    

I'm getting requests for my StrobOPlus HD programs.

Include whether you want both E9/C6 or only E9th and I need your registered with Peterson e-mail address.

John Scanlon

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2015 9:01 am    

Don Ricketson wrote:
Well John, if you're using the StrobroPlus HD ya gotta use the SP9 mode. That oughta work. If not, I guess ya gotta tweak it a little.

StroboStomp II, with no SP9 mode. Maybe I should have asked Santa for one. Although, I could always just program my own "SP9" settings in.