The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank Thompson's band 1958...Bob White on steel?
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2015 3:19 pm    

In the last picture above that Butch posted, it looks like Bobby Black on Peewee's steel, and Larry Black on the Telecaster next to him...

Joe

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2015 3:21 pm    

Russ Wever wrote:
Bill Cunningham wrote:

Sure looks like Tiny Moore to me but this guy is
not playing a Bigsby 5 string, so probably not him.

If it's any consolation, you'll find Bob White, rather
than Tiny Moore, credited to mando & fiddle on the
bandmember roster underneath the pictures on ~> this page.
~Rw

Andie Whitewing

Lafayette, LA now Bellingham, WA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 3:49 am     The Bigsby Photo

Hi folk,

I've been busy finishing up Pee Wee's record (the final artwork goes up to Disc Makers tomorrow or Monday), visiting him, and putting together an event back home in Lafayette in preparation for the CD release, which is coming up in time for his 83rd birthday on February 11, 2017.

After talking to Bobby, Shorty, and Pee Wee about that photo, it turns out that before Bobby and his brother Larry joined the band, they came out to a show and sat in one night, the night the photo was taken. Pee Wee abdicated his seat at his own steel and picked up a guitar to allow Bobby to sit in on the steel and Larry also joined in on guitar. These guys are lifelong friends and in the year since I've met him Bobby and I have become family too.

It's only been in the past couple of years that I've developed a real appreciation for Pee Wee's brand of musical genius. I remember seeing him pick up a number of different instruments with strings, including the banjo, and pick them like nothing you've ever seen. At that time I didn't understand how easily someone with his understanding of theory could transition between instruments.

If anyone wants more information about the record (I'm only doing an initial run of 500 copies because licensing, engineering, graphic design, and printing are so expensive), I've created an event for the release on Facebook at www.facebook.com/peeweewhitewing. You can also just contact me directly at andiewhitewing@gmail.com

Sincerely,
Andie Whitewing