The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Opinions on good sounding lap-plse close...buying melbert
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 5:00 pm    

I have two triple neck consoles and one double neck consoles, but would like to get a single neck for travel, quick gigs, etc. i am seeking advise on what is a good buy in your opinion...i had a melbert steel and it sounded great, but sold it...chances of finding another one at the price i paid is slim, i think. I know there are lots of factors to consider, but still would like to hear your opinions. My budget would be around $500 . I would prefer an 8 string model. Thanks in advance
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 25 Dec 2014 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 8:31 pm    

I would suggest a National Dynamic...you might get lucky in the $450-$650 range.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 9:02 pm    

The MOT Magnatones (like the blue one in my profile pic) are affordable and light. It would be great for traveling. Oahu Tonemasters are awesome and can be found in that price range. They are not as compact as the Maggies (25.5 scale length).

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 11:38 pm    

Are you looking for an 8 string or a 6 string?

Bill Brunt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 7:11 am    

When You decide, check them out:
www.guitarcenter.com/Page-2.gc?src=Lap Steel&internal=1&browser=&fsrc=lap steel&o=2

John Speck

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 8:42 am    

I got this Recording king lap steel for just that purpose. I made a few mods and turned it to a real cannon. The main thing was to get the crappy pickup out of it and put in a Seymour Duncan Classic Stack. And I put a 1/2 in. aluminum piece of round bar to ease up the sharp bend on the bridge. I was surprised how well you can get along with just 6 stings. And my fingers don't get as tangled up.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 9:07 am    

Bill Brunt wrote:
When You decide, check them out:
www.guitarcenter.com/Page-2.gc?src=Lap Steel&internal=1&browser=&fsrc=lap steel&o=2

Kinda sad when you can get better deals on something at a retailer with a warranty than you can on Ebay. Crazy prices on there. With the number of "vintage" guitars for auction at any given time and the limited size of the steel market, most of that stuff should be about 25% of the asking prices.

Not meant to hijack....I personally love the sound of the old fenders and it is a very good investment...probably better than money in the bank at current interest rates.

John Speck

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 9:51 am    

I have less than 200 dollars in this. I work as a Luthier and got the pickup at cost. I built an 8 string lap at about 40 dollars total cost...Buy the way, many years ago I drove a Greyhound Bus into Meridian.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 10:46 am     custom lap

Very sharp looking John. What was your choice of wood on the 8 stringer. In fact both guitars look really good. So it seems a person could get a newer cheapie, change out the pickup and with a little more work have a very nice guitar for low cost.

John Speck

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 1:13 pm    

The wood in this red guitar is Wisconsin white ash. The Recording king is mahogany.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 2:06 pm     Re: Opinions on good sounding lap steels-loaded question i k

Larry Lenhart wrote:
i had a melbert steel and it sounded great, but sold it...

Then you should have another Melbert. PM sent.

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 3:37 pm    

Beautiful job on the guitar.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 3:58 pm    

If you can find a 8 str. DynaLap for $300 or less you'll be a lucky pup, worth much more, hard to find now tho. And I'm only familiar with the composite style, but can imagine the solids are good too. Otherwise, the RK's may be your best bet unless you score some great vintage steel at a killer price.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2014 5:25 pm    

You can close this, i am going with another melbert...the are wonderful steels,,great sound and great workmanship and beauty !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp