The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  If Elvis were alive today…
Savell

Lakeland FL
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 8:40 am    

Which songs being played on today’s country music stations would he choose to record?

I am sure that he would record something but I listened to most of the top 100 from 2014 and found nothing that sounded like what he would record. Elvis had an ability to take other people’s songs and make them a hit in his own sound. He was good at this with both pop and country of yesteryear.

Maybe he would adapt some of these songs to fit his style.

Can you stretch to find one you think he would record?

Of course, I know he would have turned 79 this year but Tina Turner just turned 75 and she is still kicking her heels. Not to mention Jerry Lee, which I noticed is not learning any new stuff.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 9:01 am    

"He missed out on all the fun of old age.."

Bob Ritter

pacfic, wa
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 11:17 am    

He probably would ask his daughter if she liked any of the songs she heard then he would put his sound to it...I guesss.
It is possible to find out if she likes any of the current country hits on the radio.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 11:29 am    

This Pop tune has a 50's vibe.
I think I can hear Elvis singing this line to the Old Gals in the audience.
"Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top!".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 5:13 pm    

I like to think that by now Elvis would have stopped being the parody of himself that he became during his time in Las Vegas and settled down to some better music. I've always been an Elvis fan and have almost all of his recordings, which amounts to over 50 LPs and most of them again on CD.
By the way, a lot of people seem to think that Elvis died of a drug overdose, but that's not true. Elvis had been to the dentist and the dentist gave him codeine for the pain. Elvis was allergic to codeine and had previous been hospitalised as a result of it. Knowing that, he put the codeine away in the his medical chest and didn't take the pills. Later he went for his regular medication and took the codeine in error, which gave him a heart attack, from which he didn't recover. Crying or Very sad
By the way, in a previous Forum post I included a list of all the steel guitarists who had played with Elvis, and there were a lot of them. Cool

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 24 Dec 2014 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Ritter

pacfic, wa
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 5:44 pm    

I wonder if James Burton likes any of the stuff out today?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 5:49 pm    

I like Alan's first sentence, and think that maybe he'd be singing 'Dream Lover' or covering an Everyly Brothers' tune, something with melody--or maybe Smokey Robinson hits.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 5:59 pm    

This might be a good topic over on alternatehistory.com....If Elvis were alive today it means he would have knocked it off with all the excess and concentrated on his art.That means in turn that material would have been written for him,and perhaps he might have done some writing or co-writing himself.Maybe a career comeback doing the kind of music Brian Setzer is known for OTL.How about an Elvis Presley Orchestra doing jump swing? Winking Cool

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 6:11 pm    

I'm sure he'd be all over that Florida-Georgia Line stuff… Wink

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 11:09 am    

I have two daughters, one 31 and the other 28, so they're not even in the current generation any more, but ask them about Elvis and all they think about is his Las Vegas act. None of the current generation have any idea of how good he was in his prime, and they wonder why he was ever famous. They think of him in the same vein as Caruso or Tony Bennett. They don't think of him as a dynamic youngster.

And this isn't new. I remember going to a party here in California back in the 80s, which is now thirty years ago, and I was asked to bring along some Elvis records. I took along some tapes of him in his prime. They said they didn't sound like Elvis and stopped playing them. But they were right. Elvis no longer sounded like Elvis. Only the Elvis impersonators did. Crying or Very sad

I wonder if Buddy Holly would have gone the same way if he had survived. The same goes for Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Ricky Nelson, Ritchie Valens, and all those others who died well before their time. All that music we shall never hear and those songs which never got composed...

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2014 12:43 pm    

As long as there was plenty of reverb it'd be good.