The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Basic Tuning Question Derby
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 11:08 am    

I am starting to have problems with my 8th string E lower, not quite going all the way down to E flat. The guitar has been so good and it has maintained itself in tune, as long as I have the right string gauges, that I have not had to learn this aspect of tuning until now, I bought the guitar 3 years ago, and you could throw it off a cliff, and still comes back in tune. So what do I need to adjust to lower my E all the way to E flat? Nylon tuner is already all the way as far as it can go, and E flat lever engaged of course.

Sorry to bother everybody with such an elementary question, but thanks for your replies.

Richard

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 11:30 am    

Sounds like you need a bit more travel. Take that pull rod to the next level hole which will move that one lower a bit further. If it goes too far, then back off on the nylon to bring back. Doing it this way won't disturb your other pull on that lever.

~Bill

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 12:44 pm     Okay - Thank you

Okay - Thank you, that's going to take me a couple of days to try out, I was hoping to just turn a screw somewhere, but I will look under the hood and let ya know how things turn out.

Richard

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 1:26 pm     One thing to check...

You should be able to move the lower finger for that string, with your finger and get the note you are trying to lower to. If you can not, back the Allen screw associated with that string, at the changer end of your guitar, out about one turn. See picture(as bad as it is).

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 1:45 pm     Thanks, I think we got it.

There we go, I think that is going to do it. I just haven't had occasion to have to move the allen screws previously, hard to believe but its gonna be first for me here.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 2:10 pm     Glad that helped...

Richard, nice to meet another Derby player. Fine machines! Just a point... On mine the Allen screws are not lock tighted or secured in any way other then grease. In a vibration situation, they might move. I check them about once a month and if I have trouble with lowers, that is the first place I look. Have a Merry Christmas! Very Happy

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2014 2:28 pm    

If it has been fine and you haven't changed string gauges (but have changed strings), I bet it's time for a drop of oil. $2.00 says that the lower finger is picking up the raise finger due to friction.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2014 9:38 pm     Basic Tuning Question Derby

The first thing I agree with Lane Gray, It may be a drag problem and oil would cure it. If your guitar is built on the changer end like the red one shown by Dick Sexton may be part of it. A friend has a Derby that has that row of screws on the changer. They are the SPLIT TUNING, tuning screws. Make sure they are not in use unless you go through the whole order of split tuning that string on the guitar. They will cause problems. Make sure they are not stopping the string from returning completely. Good Luck in finding the problem a cure and back to Happy Steelin.

Charles Campbell

Avon,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2014 8:28 am    

Lane, where do I send the 2 bucks...that's exactly what happen to me. Laughing ....charlie

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2014 10:24 am    

Thanks to all who have answered, moving the Allen screw did the trick. I have lubed regularly over the years with TriFlow, that was never an issue, the finger was moving fine, but the Allen screw needed adjustment. Regarding sending two bucks, I know what you mean, the advise and information is invaluable on the Forum.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2014 11:34 pm    

Glad you found a fix but I'll add my two cents anyway.
I had a Derby SD10 that I really liked. It started giving me problems not wanting to come back in tune.
The Derby changer fingers rub together and build up residue between them causing them to stick. I had to take my changer completely apart and clean it at one point. I also took some very fine sandpaper and worked them down a little so they would be a little more loose. One more thing that can happen is the rollers can wear and some times need to be rotated a little.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.